Recomend me a cheap, reliable and economical car built before 1960?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by sammym, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've decided I don't want to have to bother with MOT's so want a classic car. I also have heard through the pub you don't need to tax classic cars. So it's a win win.

So I'm after a cheap, reliable and economical car which is free from mot's. Preferably it will be able to get 40mpgs on a run.

Thanks

2. The words classic and reliable don't usually get heard in the same sentence!

Spitfire owner xx

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. How much is an MOT these days about £40? Imagine the blood, sweat, tears and cash to keep a relic on the road.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  4. I don't want the admin though. If it goes I am happy with it. Having to scrap a very good car now cos it's got an airbag light on. It's a shame.

I also like the idea of working on a car myself. I don't mind doing little things (I've changed all breaks and have done a clutch etc...) but with modern car's it isn't so easy.

5. I have the full aa cover - so can live with it breaking down now and again, as long as it's easyish and cheapish to fix.

Tbh when I have a long way to go and it's important I could rent a car or use the train.

6. Any good at rebuilding engines, changing gearboxes and differentials, good at welding and painting?
    They aren't reliable and cannot be relied on as a form of transport, you'll end up needing another car. Don't say you weren't warned.

• Like Like x 3
  7. You are aware that it has to be pre 1960 to avoid an MOT?

8. Scrapping a car because the airbag light is on? What planet are you on? Don't you know that most of the time that is caused by a bad connection to the seatbelt pretensioner? You know that little connector block under the seats that you never know the purpose of, that's the cabling to the pretensioner. Give the connector a wiggle and see if the light goes out.........

• Like Like x 3
  9. Yes! Which is why I said before 1960.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I'd want to research price of replacement parts. The hours it takes to rebuild an engine can't be understated. Find out costs of reconditioned units.

11. Paining - not a chance, I stuggle to make my living room look ok. But I don't care about driving around in something that looks like a shed.

Engines and Gearboxes etc - again I've not done it. I've got a few mates who are mechanics, and a few reme blokes i know. I'm told older stuff is much much easier to work on. I've taken a gearbox off a modern car to change a clutch, which was not easy.

Welding - I'm covered here. My best friends dad owns a welding company. So I don't have to worry about that.

12. The planet where I have used a code reader, and have done what you have suggested. I paid £500 for this car. I can get £200 in scrap. If it costs me more than £300 to fix it's not worth it.

13. Thanks - most minis are after 1960 which is no good for me.