Recognition of Our Fallen by Local Authorities

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ancient_Hush_Puppy, Mar 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read that a city in the US is to honour a Trooper Marc Diab who died on duty near Kandahar by renaming a local park after him. This got me wondering that is this not another area where our American cousins are ahead of the game so to speak and could be followed by British local authorities?

2. I'd be surprised that the Americans would want to name a local park after a fallen Canadian soldier.

What's the source of this info-not a multi-addressed email by any chance?

3. Just happened on March 10 this year, in the City of Mississauga.

National Post Story

4. AHP:

I think the city is Mississauga in Ontario, good sized city just west of Toronto on the Queen Elizabeth Highway.

Just to clarify this. Being a septic sort I would not mind being confused with a Canadian but the Canadians get a bit sensitive about this sort of thing.

Also, this sort of thing is fairly common in the US, at least in the Northeast part. In my town a new bridge across the river to the next town was named this year for a local man who died in Afghanistan. Sometimes the street where the fallen had lived is renamed, other times it is a park, playground, baseball field, library etc.

I think it is a nice idea but people don't always want to have their address changed so streets can be a bit controversial. It also can mess up sequences such as the city I worked in where the streets run 1st St., 2nd St, 3rd St, Sciarrapa St, 5th St....

5. Well there we are, I've done what I was alway told not to do in investigations training and make an assumption. My apologies to the burghers of Mississauga in placing them over 90 miles south of the border in the US of A. The source for the story was www.military-world.net/ . Let me rephrase the original post, "Is this an area where our Canadian cousins are ahead of the game and we could learn from them?

6. It's a nice gesture but I don't think it's something that local authorities should feel duty bound to do. The majority of councils are supportive of the forces and respectful towards the fallen - supporting rememberance and freedom of the city parades etc. There's no real precedent for it in Britain (except perhaps in exceptional cases, i.e VC winners and the like). Here in Birmingham, we have a book on permanent display in the Hall of Memory, listing all the citizens who have died on duty in the armed forces since World War 2. There's a quiet dignity in that and to be honest, I don't really see the need to re-name streets and parks.

7. There are any number of new streets, bridges and roads being built in the UK every year that end up getting named after local councillors and the like that nobody has ever heard of. So rather than rename existing places, it wouldn't hurt to give their name to new places.

8. Nah, we would not do it as the PC brigade would winge that it would upset some illegal immigrant!

Stilts

9. Id quite like Sangin close, Helmand avenue etc

Think that would be good.

10. we've got a mafeking road and and others after that unpleasantness in southern Africa so got a precdent

11. Dear God, I hope not. Can you imagine the Labour controlled councils/boroughs/etc accepting that one?

IF pressed do to so, and to maintain balance whilst tripping over themselves to be non-partisan, we would get areas named for CND 'fighters' (Michael Foot Path anyone?): Lib Dems would have whole swathes of estates named after fallen patriots from PLO.........and think of the fun a BNP-majority council would have - Franco Fields has a ring to it.

12. The naming of places after people is devalued in Britain. There isn't a road, recycling depot or manky, student union bar anywhere in the country that has not, at some time, been named after Nelson Mandela.

See the famous episode of 'Only Fools and Horses' where somebody asks Del Boy for directions. 'Well,' says Del. 'Drive down this road to the Steve Biko memorial traffic lights. Take a right onto Mandela Street then first left onto Mandela Road. At Tutu Towers drive straight ahead to the Che Guavera roundabout and then park in the Peter Tatchell car park.

13. Have you been reading "Gumboots and Pearls"? Whole section there on this tradition of patch street names.....

14. When 2 Scots returned from Afghan in 2008, they were invited to march pass Nelson Mandela place towards the Lord Provost for a picture outside the city chambers.

15. I never knew that, Wedgie. I'm due to visit Brum for a meeting early next month and I'd like to pop into yon Hall of Memory and take a butcher's. I've discovered where it is with Google, so I'll be able to get there, but I couldn't find any opening and closing times on t'interwebz. I don't suppose you happen to know them by any chance?

MsG