Recognise the Cap Badge anyone?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by sand_rat, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone at work has found the attached photo and believes they are a family member, and trying to do the who/when/where thing. Probably WWI era and again probably North England Manchester area.

Little doubt the ARRSE will get me an answer sharpish, over to you gents.

Ta in anticipation.

Attached Files:

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

East Lancs Fusiliers.

3. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Northumberland Fusiliers ?

[​IMG]

4. Doesn't look right for that... didn't they have a scroll underneath?

Cn you make anything out on the picture, that may not be visible to us online?
    Th
    at was to Fingerz.

5. flash to bank of 11 minutes, Im impressed - which is just as well as I had been crowing loudly about the power of the ARRSE, thank you gents

6. I think the clue must be in the 'upswept' flames, most Fusiliers had more flattened flames.

If I had to guess, I would say Royal Welch Fusiliers.

13300-3281.jpg

7. What I know about old capbadges would fit on the back of my Jimmy's crown, but I've tried to sharpen up the image a bit in PhotoShop -- may help the better-informed around here.

badge-processed.jpg badge-processed-large.jpg
    The bit in the middle reminds me of a Spaniel. Or perhaps Snoopy?

8. It's difficult to make out any detail. but there is definately a "ring" around the grenade of the fusiliers badge and looking at the shape of the flame it could be Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Attached Files:

9. I tend to lean towards the RWF vote.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Back in the office and close call but Im inclined to go with the RWF, the flames seem to go 'sideways' more than the NF.

Will pass on the info and if anything transpires will post it, thank you once again.

11. The upturned flames suggest almost certainly RWF, and the N.West would fit in as Liverpool/Birkinhead was the unofficial capitol of North Wales at the time.

12. Can anybody identify this cap badge worn by Alex Gartshore?

Attached Files:

13. The Kings Regiment (Liverpool)

14. Thought the Kings wore the Fleur de Lys as their cap badge ?