Reclaiming Income Protection payments, SERPS (COPE) Opt Out etc.

Going through some old mortgage and work related paperwork I see among other things that Income Protection was put in place and a COPE period that I was not aware of. I have, as we all have of course, have heard the adverts telling me to call some schemer or other who will get my money back for me but distrust just reaching out to any of them.

Does anyone have a recommended and trustworthy person/company to contact to explore all of this?

ugly

LE
No they are all money grabbing cnuts, just try to find the ones that charge less than 30%

Once you have exhausted all those avenues above ie do it yourself then get one of these companies to do a final check for anything you might have missed. Obviously don't tell them it's a final check with little hope of finding anything.

Going through some old mortgage and work related paperwork I see among other things that Income Protection was put in place and a COPE period that I was not aware of. I have, as we all have of course, have heard the adverts telling me to call some schemer or other who will get my money back for me but distrust just reaching out to any of them.

Does anyone have a recommended and trustworthy person/company to contact to explore all of this?
I too discovered a period of COPE from the early eighties. I'd completely forgotten about it. Four years in total at the same company.
I contacted the companies pension fund and discovered that I was due a pension from age 65 and not on the new sliding scale. My state pension will now be 65 and 5 months.
Do you not know or remember the company? I suppose there's always a chance they've gone west by now so I don't know what can be done to claim your COPE pension.
Hopefully though you will still have the minimum years of NI contributions by now without the COPE years to qualify for full state pension so maybe you won't lose out too much if you can't pin it down.

I too discovered a period of COPE from the early eighties. I'd completely forgotten about it. Four years in total at the same company.
I contacted the companies pension fund and discovered that I was due a pension from age 65 and not on the new sliding scale. My state pension will now be 65 and 5 months.
Do you not know or remember the company? I suppose there's always a chance they've gone west by now so I don't know what can be done to claim your COPE pension.
Hopefully though you will still have the minimum years of NI contributions by now without the COPE years to qualify for full state pension so maybe you won't lose out too much if you can't pin it down.
Actually I have that part of my employment history (14 years) nailed now after chatting to someone at the pensions office. However it seems there are other periods that I thought would be excluded but he said according to records they are ok!!! I am now waiting for a SERPS/second state pension statement and will take it from there. I am trying to understand how many years SERPS contributions I need to have made to get the full amount of the second state pension, who knows, maybe I have enough already, once I get the forecast I will call them back to discuss.

As for the income protection I would need to speak to someone who knows better than me. Also I think that this provider might have also stiffed on an Endowment policy that they persuaded me to cash in early, just the sort of thing these types get up to. I would need someone in the know to advise likelihood and ways forward though.

ugly

LE
I have a handful of pensions from firms I haven't really heard of and dont until I get a letter every year. The letters are filed in my office so the wife can claim them all when I die.

Actually I have that part of my employment history (14 years) nailed now after chatting to someone at the pensions office. However it seems there are other periods that I thought would be excluded but he said according to records they are ok!!! I am now waiting for a SERPS/second state pension statement and will take it from there. I am trying to understand how many years SERPS contributions I need to have made to get the full amount of the second state pension, who knows, maybe I have enough already, once I get the forecast I will call them back to discuss.

As for the income protection I would need to speak to someone who knows better than me. Also I think that this provider might have also stiffed on an Endowment policy that they persuaded me to cash in early, just the sort of thing these types get up to. I would need someone in the know to advise likelihood and ways forward though.
That's good news M. It used to be 44 years for full state but its much lower now. Sommat like 35 ish.

PPI is always worth a punt. We recently applied for it from yonks ago - 80s and 90s and ended up with £29k. :boogie:

That's good news M. It used to be 44 years for full state but its much lower now. Sommat like 35 ish.

PPI is always worth a punt. We recently applied for it from yonks ago - 80s and 90s and ended up with £29k. :boogie:
Sounds good, do you recall who you went to to help with that?

Sounds good, do you recall who you went to to help with that?

Yes of course. They were called "Claims Thru Us". I know, it sounds sickly/dodgy and all that but they were very professional throughout the process keeping us regularly updated. London firm too.
We didn't expect such a large payout so we weren't too bothered about their fee but it eventually amounted to almost £3k... Shreik!
You can of course DIY but we just couldn't be Arrsed. I wish we had now :pissedoff:

Yes of course. They were called "Claims Thru Us". I know, it sounds sickly/dodgy and all that but they were very professional throughout the process keeping us regularly updated. London firm too.
We didn't expect such a large payout so we weren't too bothered about their fee but it eventually amounted to almost £3k... Shreik!
You can of course DIY but we just couldn't be Arrsed. I wish we had now :pissedoff:
Yes, I have heard about the DIY path but wonder how much hassle the farm it out route might save, if a lot of headache then a fee might be worth it.

I'll give them a call and explain the background, see what they make of it. I'll make a judgement call from there and let you know what I hear.

Ear yoo aaaaah

Check your State Pension

Unfortunately those services do not work for me, I am on the Sensitive Access Request List and so have to call the general number, they themselves cannot get to my details so have to then check with the Sensitive Access Request department. I used to be able to ring Sensitive Access directly but now that is not allowed. It is a right pain I tell you.

Anyway having jumped through the required hoops yesterday I now know I have the basic NI contributions for pension part one and am also getting my full SERPS history posted to me. I thought it was easier to wait till that arrived rather than trying to wade through treacle as it would feel with an adviser on the phone.

Interestingly I learnt that I had more basic history than seemed possible but this was due (not sure if it has changed though) that you actually get/got three years worth of NI credit at 16th birthday backdated to start from your 15th birthday. That could make the difference for some.

Yes, I have heard about the DIY path but wonder how much hassle the farm it out route might save, if a lot of headache then a fee might be worth it.

I'll give them a call and explain the background, see what they make of it. I'll make a judgement call from there and let you know what I hear.
PPI and (very simple) DIY route explained by Martin Lewis.
Reclaim PPI for free