reckonable service

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by trooper142, Dec 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for a definitive definition of the term "reckonable service"?

For the purposes of pensions it would seem it means total colour service(even with a break in service).

For the purposes of resettlement it would seem it means previous colour service does not count only current time served (if there has been a break in service).

Surely it should be a case of one or the other ?

Obviously this is not something that affects many people but i would have thought there would be a single meaning for the term "reckonable service".

Is it total service or is it time served on a particular engagment?

Any help or pointers in the directions of relevant quotes would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any answers.

2. normally means 18th birthday or date of attestation whichever is the later.

3. Sadly I know a bit about this. It depends entirely upon why the question is being asked, as the answers are different for different things.

Reckonable service for pension (under AFPS 75) is full time paid service attained from the age of 18 for soldiers. For officers it is date of commissioning or full time paid service attained from the age of 21, whichever is later.

The rules under AFPS 05 are different (all full time paid service for both officers and soldiers I believe).

Reckonable service for pay purposes is different again. Prior to P2K it was full time paid service from the age of 17.5 years for soldiers - absolutely no idea what the officer criteria was.

Post 1 Apr 03 all full time paid service is reckonable, even that attained under 17.5 years.

There is more - but unless you can be more specific as to what the question is it will be impossible to answer.

Mutineer.

4. Many thanks for the replies so far.

The example of the use of the term"reckonable service"that im trying to pin down is when it is used in The Army Leave Manual in connection with terminal leave hope this can help you to help me further.

Hoping that narrows it down.

5. Not strictly correct - In the case of commissioned officers, for AFPS 75, any full time soldier service prior to commissioning but subsequent to 21st birthday also counts - yes, that does include the commissioning course at RMAS (See Para 29.f and 138.a of the Army Pensions Warrant 1977)

Pay_mistri

6. As far as I am aware Terminal leave applies irrespective of length of service, so long as you are leaving on completion of engagement or, I believe, on voluntary PVR. Sadly enjoying some well earned Xmas leave at home at the moment so unable to verify that - but the Army Leave Manual 2000 is on the MOD Intranet if you have access, or a call to your RAOWO should verify that to be the case.

7. You are absolutely correct - what was I thinking of!!!

8. "Reckonable service for pension (under AFPS 75) is full time paid service attained from the age of 18 for soldiers. For officers it is date of commissioning or full time paid service attained from the age of 21, whichever is later."

I just found this conversation as I have just left the Army with 9.5 years service, but that includes RMAS (which I attended aged 25). I carefully planned my retirement and using the pensions calculator which asked "enter enlistment date", and mentions nothing of training being disqualified from reckonable service in the definitions of reckonable service and I qualifed for resettlement grant. On that basis, I signed off. On enquiring to JPAC as to the whereabouts of my resettlement grant, they have said I don't qualify as RMAS is not included.

Where do I stand on this? Any advice Mutineer.. you seem to be well informed.

9. It's been 8 years, but I'm sure he'll be along shortly...

10. The reason there is a difference between pension and resettlement rules is that everyone who leaves gets some kind of resettlement so they start to collect time again if they re-engage.