Recipes for health and fitness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by oldcolt, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a bit of a health and exercise freak, I thought it might be helpful to have a collection of recipes/ ideas for the food that other like minded health nuts use to keep themselves fit, build muscle, fuel bodies and generally well fed.

The idea is not just to put a recipe but to add what routine goal you have in mind when cooking/ preparing it so that new guys/ girls can get ideas to help them. Please add your own routines and recipes. For example:

I am currently trying to build lean muscle and cardio ability. My goals are therefore to have a high energy, high protein input. Todays meals and routine is...

Breakfast: 3 wheatabix with a handful of almonds and sultanas. Cold skimmed milk. Fibre, protein and complex carbs

Mid morning (1hr pre-workout) : protein shake made with water and Palitonse - simple carbs and protein to prepare the body for exercise.

Post workout (sit ups, press ups and chin ups today) Protein shake with milled oats and milled flaxseed. Reapir and re-build kit for muscles.

Lunch and afternoon snack: Homemade wholemeal bread with cooked chicken breast, peanut butter (no added oil stuff) and sweet chilli sauce - tastes like bang bang chicken and is packed full of protein, complex and simple carbs to boost repair and recovery as well as keeping me feeling full.

Evening meal: Tonight I are be mostly eating home made beefburgers, made with extra lean mince, rye flakes, balsamic vinegar, oxo cube and finely chopped onion. Home made jacket wedges (splashed with worcestershire sauce before cooking) plus low salt baked beans. More protein and complex carbs to fuel muscle growth and keep me feeling full (so no snacking on 'crap').

1 hour before bed. Bed time protein drink from My Protein (no I don't work for them :wink: )
  2. Breakfast should have complete proteins.

Something including eggs would be a good start.

Not to sound a bit of a traitor, but depending on what your workload is, you don't need so much protein.
    Have the breakfast protein, have a carb drink prior to training (if it's a long ish session) and a carb:protein drink mid session and finish it off at the end (say 30g:30g ratio, depending on the sessions aims and if you're trying to lose weight).

Complex carbs and protein make you feel more hungry in a shorter term then protein and fat (hence the eggs keep you feeling fuller for longer compared to a doughnut say).
    Also, veggies are a must. I barely see any. Anything leafy and green is always good.

The inclusion of fish oil is also something I would consider (fish oil, not codliver).
  3. Hi mate. I have a fairly intense routine so the protein is a must (I've stacked on a stone of muscle in the past 10 weeks). Veg is low today but just because of home life today (hence baked beans for iron etc) but I usually have a shed load of veg every day and whack raw spinnach and water cress into my sandwiches (forgot to add that :oops: ).

I take supplements due to my routine and, as I give blood and find that my iron levels are normally a little low (apparently this is normal in many people who do a lot of cardio/ exercise).

I take fish oil twice a day, ground flax seed, multivitamins and minerals.

You are right bout the eggs but I find that they bind me up a bit (despite all my high fibre diet) - must be my age :oops: 8O :lol: so have those as part of an occasional main meal rather than a breakfast. I also fill up / snack on fruit during the day.

To add to the post, perhaps you can add your routine/ recipes here too mate :)
  4. I'll add a personal favourite, ideal for dinner or smaller portion for lunch. It's pretty similar to Teriyaki Chicken and dead easy.

Basically you need:

Reduced Salt Soy Sauce
    Honey (1 Tablespoon)
    Salt and Pepper
    Chinese 5 Spice
    Spring Onion (optional)

Basically put enough soy sauce in a bowl to submerge the chicken, then add the remainder of the ingredients. Ideally leave overnight to marinade but can be done on the fly too. Serve with brown rice and you have a very nutrituous and tasty meal!
  5. Sounds good. Might try that on Saturday when we're having a '24' fest on the telly 8)
  6. 8 sausages
    1 large onion , chopped
    2 garlic cloves , crushed
    1 tsp hot chilli powder
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    300g pasta, fusilli type etc

Grill sauages until brown, cut into chunks with scissors.

Put a pan of water onto boil.

Put the sausages into a frying pan/wok add the onions and garlic, cook off until onions soften. Add tomatoes and chilli powder, leave to simmer.

Add the pasta to the boiling water, cook as per instrcutions on packet, when cooked drain and add to sausage mix, tastes really good with fresh crusty bread.

You can add some more chilli powder if desired, you could add sweetcorn and/or mushrooms to veg it out a bit!
  7. Haha! Brilliant, can you send me you fitness scheme which includes 24? Is it a cardio workout?
  8. Sounds tasty, aren't sausages full of saturated fat though?
  9. I would imagine so, I grill them to get some of the excess out, you could use chicken instead, I used cut up beef burgers once!
  10. 1) quick warm up of trip to fridge and kitchen stocking up on hop / apple based 'health drinks' (ahem)
    2) index finger and thumb exercise using remote for telly and HD DVD player
    3) Test and stretching exercise for ear drums using volume control
    4) Using cushions and sofa as a punch bag, fluff and plump seating area into correct and healthy posture position (feet raised on top of cushion placed on coffee table) to assist circulation and use aforementioned beer...err hop based drinks to chill upper thingh in proper RICE technique.
    5) Use the third 'advert break' to do a quick sprint up stairs (short interval session) to flex bladder muscle and exercise forearm muscles by shaking penis violently.
    6) Repeat from 1) again until you realise you've done an entire series and its time to get up for work 8) :lol:
  11. I think steak mince cooked in tomato and garlic at the start of the week, and kept in the fridge, solves most problems.

A cupboard full of tinned pulses, wholemeal pittas, couscous, pasta, rice, decent pasta and curry sauces, loads of veg.......If the meaty protein is ready to go, then a big scoff is ready in 20 minutes from kettle on, and you avoid the temptation to eat sh*t, although it is admittedly variations on a theme - chilli, curry, spag bog.

Canned fish, eggs and wholemeal bread in the fridge solves most other problems.

If you only eat when you're hungry you don't get bored easily.
  12. I did mean to post in here, but got side tracked.

For CV work, you need carbs and what better why to get carbs then frid rice.

Nasi Goreng, of which the following recipe I pinched off a website

1 1/2 cup long grain white rice
    3 tbsp corn oil
    2 onions, cut in half, sliced
    2 small fresh green chilies, seeded, choppe, d
    1 pork tenderloin, diced (6oz)
    1 skinned chicken breast (6oz)
    1 tsp paprika
    2 tbsp light soy sauce
    4 oz cooked peeled medium shrimp, thawed, if frozen
    1 salt to taste
    1 egg
    1 tsp cold water
    1 1/2 tsp butter
    1 shrimp crackers

Cook rice in boiling, salted water 12 minutes. Drain and rinse well,
    then drain again. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions, garlic and
    chilies and fry 2 minutes. Add pork and chicken and fry gently 10
    minutes until cooked. Add rice, chili powder, paprika, soy sauce and
    shrimp and cook 5-6 minutes or until piping hot, stirring constantly.
    Season with salt.

Turn mixture into a warm serving dish and keep warm while preparing
    omelette topping. Whisk egg with cold water. Melt butter in a
    skillet. Add egg mixture and swirl skillet to give a thin, even
    mixture. Cook over gentle heat 2-3 minutes or until egg mixture is
    set and lightly golden underneath. Turn omelette out onto a flat
    surface. Roll up and cut in slices. Arrange slices of omelette on top
    of rice mixture. Serve hot with shrimp crackers.

Servings: 4 servings

There was another korean dish which I quite liked. A soup with rice noodles and mince in it that you crack a raw egg into and the heat from the soup cooks it. But alas I can't remember what it was called or the recipe.
  13. Sounds great but I'd switch the white rice for wholegrain brown :)
  14. Sorry, copy and pasted :).

I would very likely do the same.
  15. Got given a sausage making attachment for the food processor a while back and have been experimenting with it. Great tasting bangers and they're really good for you / can also be turned into burgers if you haven't got a machine/ cant be arrsed :)

2lbs of turkey/ chicken (mince - if you havent got a mincer - no jokes please :wink: )
    1/4 lb of fresh breadcrumbs (granary/ wholmeal) or, subsitute for the same weight of Rye flakes
    1 leek, finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon of ground mace
    1 tablespoon of sage
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    Mix well together and add a small glug of olive oil to bind it together if its a bit dry. To work well, it should form a 'soft to the touch' ball but not feel sticky.

Form into sausage links or fry as burgers. Either way they taste great and are packed full of goodness