recipe required

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Jan 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Managed to get a woodcock as well as a cock pheasant this saturday, hanging at the moment so I am loomking for something different to do for next sundays roast. Perhaps stuff the woodcock into the pheasant? Methinks I'll link to cookery!
  2. Pheasant Chitamee (courtesy of Clarissa Dickson Wright - and it is yummy:) )

3 onions, finely chopped
    3 tbsp Olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
    1 tsp tumeric
    1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
    6 cardomom pods
    1-2 red chillies, finely chopped
    1 pheasant (though recipe will allow for 2 birds)
    1 400g tine of tommatoes, chopped
    2 tbsp white wine vinegar
    salt and pepper

Cook the onions in the oil until they are golden.
    Add the garlic, ginger, tumeric, cardomom and chilli and cook for a few more minutes.
    Cut the phesant into serving portions and add to the pan to saute, turning occasionally for about 20 minutes.
    Add the tomatoes and vinegar and cook for about 30 minutes untilt he pheasant is well coated with the sauce and sauce is not too runny.
    If the sauce is too sharp you may want to add a pinch of sugar.
  3. I think that I am going to start having to make note of these recipes, sounds lovely :)
  4. Sounds well lush.. Hugh Fernley-Whittinstall did a bird inside a bird inside another bird !!! lol, I cant remem wot the birds where but obviously they were all different sizes, small medium large 8O
  5. Burnetts' Woodcock (I had something like this at a restaurant a while back and this recipe is the closest I have found to that....Clarissa again! I seem to remember the cakes were a combination of potato and celeriac and the dish was served with red cabbage) The recipe is for 4 woodcock but would be easily divided down.

Potato cakes:

1 lb potatoes
    2 egg whites
    1 egg yolk
    1 tbsp capers, chopped
    1 tsp French mustard
    150ml (5 fl oz) whipping (double) cream
    25g (1oz) butter

Boil the potatoes, drain and mash them.
    Beat the egg whites until stiff
    Mix the egg yolk, capers, mustard and cream into the mash and fold in the egg whites.
    Form small cakes and fry them in the butter until golden.

For the woodcock:
    4 woodcock
    110g (40z) butter
    4 rashers bacon

Spread the buuter over the woodcock and cover with a bacon rasher.
    Roast for 10-15 minutes depending on how you like your birds.

4 livers (woodcock, pheasant, pigeon or chicken)
    50g (2 oz) butter
    1 glass white wine
    2 tbsp stock (game for preference or use chicken)
    6 juniper berries, crushed
    squeeze of lemon
    salt and pepper

Saute the livers in the butter, then mash and sieve them.
    Put the puree in a pan with the wine, stock, juniper berries, lemon juice and seasoning.
    Simmer for a few minutes until all the flavour combine and stir in any pan juices from the woodcock.

To serve - put the woodcock on the potato cakes and serve with the sauce
  6. Would you not want to hang the pheasant for longer than a week?

Would that Pheasant Chitamee sauce not totally overpower the taste of the pheasant? (If not, can the woodcock not be cooked in the same sauce? (I've never eaten woodcock and don't know how it tastes. :oops: ))
  7. Funnily enough Bovvy I thought the same about the taste, but it works really well with male birds. I find that hanging for a week is about right to develop the flavour without it walking out of the door! But taste is a personal thing....
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pheasant recipes I have many, its something combining both birds I would like!
  9. Personally id cook them both seperate so not to spoil either birds taste, some good recipes coming in tho, gd luck and happy cooking old chap ! :D
  10. This got me thinking (and it's a slow work day :)). I've been scouring recipe books and the internet for ideas Ugly and the closest I could find was a description of a 5 bird roast using quail, woodcock, pheasant, duck and chicken. All the parts had been boned out and had stuffing in between each layer, with the chicken then being covered in bacon before roasting. Pheasant stuffed with woodcock would therefore seem possible - not that I doubted it. It was more a case of not wanting to lose the flavour.

As for stuffing, I think in order to not overpower the flavour of the woodcock I'd invent something based on the sauce recipe in the woodcock recipe above and ensure the pheasant didn't dry out by covering it with bacon. Or you could push a herby butter and some slices of orange under the skin which would also help to baste the meat.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Boning out is a pain so I may make a stuffing of woodcock for the pheasant!
  12. Stick the woodcock inside the phesant and roast. every year the missus falls for "ill just have the woodcock and a bit of the phesant luv im no that hungry" sucker!!!!. you could try spatchcocking it i suppose.and try the entrails on toast no my bag but hey anything once.
  13. Ugly,

Have a poke around in this link - I have bought stuff from these people for years. Check the multi roasts in it.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I ended up roasting both side by side, the pheasant for 40 mins and the woodcock for 20 mins. I must get some duck next as the lads loved the last one!