Recipe of the day - A hearty beef stew. mmm

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by parasquad, Jan 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heres a classic i found jotted down inside the back cover of an old cookery book i picked up at a car boot sale. this recipe is just whats needed on a cold winters eve and doesnt take much effort

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound beef stewing steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 celery ribs, thickly sliced
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 (14.5-ounce) can recipe-ready diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 small carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
    1 beef stock cube
    1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
    1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

Combine flour, salt and pepper in medium bowl. Add beef; toss well to coat. Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes with juice, carrots, beef stock cube and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover.
    Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Add potato; cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
    Makes 4 servings or 2 depending how generous you are.
    tastes great with a crusty bit of bread and washed down with several cans of stella.

Prep time : 30 mins
    cooking time: 1 hour

being realistic if you get home with all your ingredients by 18.30hrs you could be sat down ready to eat by the time the bill starts at 20.00 hrs
    perrrfick

Attached Files:

2. Looks like All In Stew to me. Blah!

3. I having oxtail stew tonight
    I put some oxtail to marinate in Blandford Fly beer last night
    Today Im going to fry some celery, carrots, onions, bung them in a casserole, then roll the oxtail bits in spiced flour+mustard powder and fry them, bung them in the casserole. Deglaze the pan with the beer marinade and put it in the oven, gas mark 3 or 4 for about 4 or 5 hours with the lid on. Depending on my mood I either just serve as is, or strain the sauce, remove the meat from the bones,throw away the stock veges and saute some finely diced carrots and onions. Then I reduce the sauce to a glaze, serve it over the oxtail and new veges

4. this is no slack effort mind. its a timeless classic handed down thru the generations

5. That sounds very tasty, nice touch marinading the beef in fly beer