Recession, what recession? Another £200 Billion to the Global Warming Religion.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunnoficarus, May 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm putting my cash into nuclear power stations.
  2. If I was Chicken Little MP Minister for falling skies, I would probably not run round shouting about how the sky, in all likelihood, will not fall but in fact, remain where it is. So we can disband the ministry and my pay bonus with it.

On a slightly off thread question, how many ministers do we actually have?

Too many is not a helpful answer.

Edited to add;

I looked it up, 119 of the buggers, apparently more than India, most with non job titles.
  3. Re France- Not 'Every summer'. SOME summers. Bad droughts and forest fires in Southern France are quite common.
    France | ALM UNDP

"In recent years, an increase in the frequency and intensity of extreme weather has raised public awareness about the need for adaptation in France. The heat wave in 2003, and the long periods of drought experienced in the south of the country, have contributed to the view that France needs to intensify its efforts to prepare for the impacts of climate change. In response, France passed a national adaptation strategy at the end of 2006. Currently the development of a detailed adaptation plan is under consideration, with the research institution ONERC (Observatoire National sur les Effets du Réchauffement Climatique) leading the strategic planning process. The national adaptation strategy emphasizes the importance of analyzing the consequences of climate change and risk assessment. There are numerous research programs that aim to provide the needed data for further strategic planning. In France, great weight is attached to economic and social aspects of adaptation. However, the implementation of concrete measures has been limited to singular cases. For example, Paris has taken precautions to be better prepared for future heat waves

Country Profile

French climate studies reveal that since 1950, the temperature rise in France has been even greater than the rise of average global temperatures.15 ONERC estimates that a rise of the average global temperature by 2°C would result in an increase of 3°C in France. Furthermore, extreme weather events, such as storms and heat waves, may increase in frequency, often causing damage to people and infrastructure. The northern regions of France will likely be affected by storms and floods, while the south will suffer from droughts and water scarcity. Climate change will likely have greater impacts on the water balance in the French Pyrenees that in the Alps, and these impacts will affect water supply and winter tourism.

While rising temperatures could potentially raise productivity in some forms of agriculture by between 10 and 30 percent (especially for wheat and corn), water shortages could cause serious problems in southern regions of the country. Furthermore, more frequent storms and hailstorms present greater challenges for farmers. The harvest season for wine has already changed in France, advancing by three weeks during the past fifty years. Increasing pest attacks and crop failures caused by extreme heat represent additional problems. Forestry will also be affected by water scarcity. Other risks of water shortages include the increase of storms and forest fires.17 Furthermore, lower rainfall during the summer and increased evaporation can lead to severe water shortages. At the same time, heavy rainfall events will affect water management due to earlier snow melt and a shift in water flow from spring to winter. Another problem posed by climate change is the decrease in water quality from sea level rise (salt water intrusion) and increased water temperatures.

The energy sector also faces significant climate adaptation challenges. The supply of cooling water could become scarce, especially during hot and dry summers. Cooling water shortages can cause power plants to shut down or work below capacity. Additionally, low water levels can hamper the power production at hydroelectric plants. At the same time rising temperatures raise the energy demand in summer as companies and households use more cooling systems.18 Furthermore, the increased frequency of storms can damage the energy infrastructure such as power lines, substations and transformers. While there could be an extension of the tourist season in the summer, winter tourism will probably face losses. This is especially relevant for the regions of Savoie, Hautes Alpes and Alpes de Haute Provence, where the number of ski areas could decrease by 20 percent in the case of a temperature rise of 2°C."

Le Frogs have a real hot weather problem with their nuclear power stations, which suck in colossal amounts of cooling water, and have to be shut down when the water level is too low. Nationally, they use a lot of nuclear power (Nearly 80% of their national supply ), so hot dry weather (High demand for power for air con and refrigeration at the same time as low water supplies) are a bit of a nightmare scenario for them.
  4. Peanuts, whats £200,000,000,000 - just a few hours on Gordon's printing presses.
  5. Interesting report, reads like the fast bit of patter at the end of investments ads;
    'Normaltermsandconditionsapplyvalueofsharesmaygoupaswellasdownconsultyourfinancial adviserminimuminvestment necessary'

May increase, will likely, could potentially, lots of weasle words of the cover my arse type.

I am intrigued that 'if' the global increase is 2c France gets an extra 1 degree, so the middle east and areas which are currently, on average, hotter than France will be cooler if global warming occurs. A 50% increase over the current hotspots.

With the nuclear power, could research be put into more efficient cooling systems, which would prevent the plants working below capacity, unlike the always on tap wind farms?
  6. Climate change, wow thats strange, could it be anything to do with the way the Worlds population is growing? Hmm, lets see
    Estimated World population in 1900 = approx 1,500,000,000
    in 2000 = approx 6,000,000,000
    Some scientists estimate this figure will double in the next 10 to 20 years due to better health, longer life expectancy & lower infant mortality especially in the third world, where because of culture, religion & ignorance birth rates are traditionally high!
    Result, yet more deforrestation, desertification & pressure on fresh water & food resources, leading to more pollution, more co2 released into atmosphere & yet more climate change!
    When the **** will some bugger tell the third world & the Roman Catholic's to stop breeding us into extinction!!! Ooh cant do that it might upset some idiot religion, including the kiddy fiddler in chief's RC's & get them even more upset with the "Western Crusaders"
    FFS? 20/30 years ago Western Europes Population had stabilised & in some countries was actually dropping, the recent waves of over fecund immigrants have put an end to that, but still not as bad as the third World, where in some counties it will double in the next 10 years see here Uganda, in 1900, the country's population was 2 million while in 1985 it was 14 million people. It is estimated that in 2005, the population hit the 25 million mark and could double over the next 10 years or so!
    This increasing population growth rate has been attributed to the high fertility rate of Ugandan women, which is estimated at 6. 9 children per woman. Teenage pregnancy levels and poverty have also greatly contributed to the growth. This is typical of most of Africa, Asia, and C. & S. America!
  7. But the real question is now that Ms Spellman has brought these technological terrors to my notice…

Should I buy a special heat resistant phone and laptop and buy some candles before I push off to Italy next week? It's a lot hotter than the UK and I wouldn't want to be left in the lurch.
  8. The real threat to UK wifi/ broadband/ mobile telecomms is that the crippling tax take needed to fund the welfare state and climate jamboree ensures that UK's technological infrastructure investment is low, and the resulting service expensive and inadequate....