Recession 2019 anybody?

Well the stock market here continues to reach correction territory, and it is looking rather grim. I remember the last one ten years ago, and have tried to recession proof my finances as much as possible as a result.
However with the spate of world events ongoing and coming up, it does feel like 2019 is going to be an “epic” year. Anybody else getting a gut feeling that we are due up for a big economic kick sooner rather than later?

We will have something in the UK due to B****t, yours, if it comes, will be China related so it depends on how you feel your Commander in Chief is at economics down the stretch.

As far as I know, "The Wall St Bulls" and toxic cronies have been packaging CDO sub-primes all over again prior to 2008, probably hedging their bets on the Feds digging them out as the last time.
C.N.U.T.S.
Personally, this household's 5 pensions are ring fenced, debt free, so the World, sorry, can go to Hell on a hand-cart. Selfish? Yes.
Earned? Yes. Time not to give a sh*t.
I do worry about the world our kid will have to deal with like most parents do.
Just getting too old to flick the ON switch on my Give-a-F-Meter these days.

Last edited:
We will have something in the UK due to B****t, yours, if it comes, will be China related so it depends on how you feel your Commander in Chief is at economics down the stretch.
Brexit will sting a few people over here, But it does seem like Trump will be shutting parts of the Federal Government down for an extended time, giving many families around here a big Christmas **** you needlessly. China is a guessing game anymore.

As far as I know, "The Wall St Bulls" and toxic cronies have been packaging CDO sub-primes all over again prior to 2008, probably hedging their bets on the Feds digging them out as the last time.
C.N.U.T.S.
Personally, this household's 5 pensions are ring fenced, debt free, so the World, sorry, can go to Hell on a hand-cart. Selfish? Yes.
Earned? Yes. Time not to give a sh*t.
I do worry about the world our kid will have to deal with like most parents do.
Which would not surprise me, granted we should also be allowed to hang the folks that do this.

ugly

LE
Hopefully I'll be in my taxpayer funded sinecure in January, cossetted from reality by annual pay rises and my son paying my mortgage as I retire

Which would not surprise me, granted we should also be allowed to hang the folks that do this.
The problem is the people who do this on both sides of the Atlantic are way too connected to the politicians. Blair wasn't given multi-million dollar contracts ( for what, exactly?) by merchant banks for nothing. How many failed British politicians wind up with non-jobs in the Square Mile?.

The problem is the people who do this on both sides of the Atlantic are way too connected to the politicians. Blair wasn't given multi-million dollar contracts ( for what, exactly?) by merchant banks for nothing. How many failed British politicians wind up with non-jobs in the Square Mile?.
Yes and these folks should face some good old fashioned justice, besides I wouldn't mind watching a few of them swing in public. Would be great TV!

I have no doubt we are heading in to recession in 2019 or 2020 I feel utterly pessimistic at the moment. It feels like the country is totally screwed up.
I fully expect a severe SDSR around 2020/1 and suspect from the Navy the medical services and Royal Marines will be cut significantly due to no herrick etc to justify us.
I am working as hard as I can to pay down mortgage and up skill my self to improve my prospects / position, what does not help is lack of redundancy calculator. I am not even sure if my afps 75/15 pension is safe

Last edited:
Out at a financial sector xmas drinkies event last friday and a few were mumbling about 2021 looking likely.

Whatever, just make sure there is plenty of food in the house.

I have doubt we are heading in to recession in 2019. I feel utterly pessimistic at the moment. It feels like the country is totally screwed up.
I fully expect a severe SDSR around 2020 and suspect from the Navy the medical services and Royal Marines will be cut significantly due to no herrick etc to justify us.
I am working as hard as I can to pay down mortgage and up skill my self to improve my prospects / position, what does not help is lack of redundancy calculator. I am not even sure if my afps 75/15 pension is safe
I was under the impression your forces did not have anything left to really cut and that the savings from Force cutting was not worth the lack of capability you will need in the future. If anything it is the social safety net that would generate more long term cuts and just raising taxes to generate more revenue.

Out at a financial sector xmas drinkies event last friday and a few were mumbling about 2021 looking likely.

Whatever, just make sure there is plenty of food in the house.
In 2021, I will have a 14 year old and an 8 year old. My grocery bill will god damn skyrocket with those two.

The first signs of all recessions is already here: credit markets are shutting down. There have been no high yield bond issues at all this month in Europe or US (which is worse than the worst month in the last crisis). Leveraged loans have printed less than the worst month in the crisis.

It has already started.

One of the problems with the stock market over-valuation (in the UK, at least) has been caused by the government pumping money into the banks intending it to stimulate growth post-crash. The banks have not been redirecting this largesse into business lending as intended but have been using it for more corporately advantageous purposes. This limitless supply of cheap money has also caused the banks to turn up their noses at traditional depositors' money, causing them to invest in a stock market that really didn't deserve that level of attention.,