Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Recently Digitised images of Manchester

D

Deleted 99482

For those of you born in the City, or have relatives from there, the City Council is archiving thousands of black and white images, some very interesting ones of Ringway being constructed, bomb damage being repaired, and just general interesting scenes from a vanished era

Manchester Archives+

For those of you born in the City, or have relatives from there, the City Council is archiving thousands of black and white images, some very interesting ones of Ringway being constructed, bomb damage being repaired, and just general interesting scenes from a vanished era

Manchester Archives+
Loads of interesting photo's from all walks of life from 1890s through WW2, from what I've looked at so far.
Ladies swimsuits were surprisingly figure hugging for 1909 I thought.

1539100032347.jpeg

Last edited:
The soldier looks a wee bit like a younger Alf Garnett.

Some cracking photos on that web site, Good find there Joshua.

Seems to be something not 100% about that photo?

Unshaven? the black buttons would indicate a Rifle Regt ( if they are black?) but looks like a General Service Cap Badge , there's a letter under his shoulder title so may be a Territorial force soldier? also he has a different model tunic. I've seen these before, think it was a late model one?

I could be wrong about everything?...... again

Unshaven? the black buttons would indicate a Rifle Regt ( if they are black?) but looks like a General Service Cap Badge , there's a letter under his shoulder title so may be a Territorial force soldier? also he has a different model tunic. I've seen these before, think it was a late model one?

It looks look like a ‘V’for volunteer to me. Interestingly, the caption dates this to 1905, so pre-Great War by a fair bit:

“3120/18-21c and 24-28 arose from a meeting in College Hall, Liverpool, 23rd November 1905, called to "protest against the massacre of Jews in Russia and urging the establishment of a legally assured, publicly recognised Home in Palestine as the only solution to the Jewish Problem". (See "Jewish Chronicle - 1/12/1905). 3120/18 is a letter from Louis S. Cohen of Ranelagh Street, Liverpool, November 10th, 1905.

GB124.DPA/3120/18“

Unshaven? the black buttons would indicate a Rifle Regt

Looks even stranger when you click it full size, they look like leather "football" buttons. Not the modern four sections of leather plated sort either. They look like a representation of the sewn panels of an old style leather football, that is a very old fashioned type, never seen them on an other ranks tunic though.

The buttons appear to be non-military

manchester soldier (3).jpg

Here's a close up of the cap badge (which doesn't appear to be the general service one) and shoulder title

manchester soldier (2).jpg

manchester soldier (4).jpg

Could it be a late Boer war uniform ? that only ended a year or two before, and I am sure a few would have kept their uniform tucked away
http://www.militarysunhelmets.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Officer-IY.jpg

The cap badge is WWI-era Manchester Regt:

He's probably a member of one of the TF Bns, though the shoulder title would seem to have a 'V' at the base: 'Volunteer' Bns as such should have disappeared with the formation of the TF in 1908.

Still, given the variety of volunteer Bns raised from Manchester during the period (Pals Bns, Post Office Bns, Tramways Bns, etc), the variation of short-lived insignia was mind boggling.

I've crossed the Rubicon from looking forward to looking to the past. I remember the pics at the corner of Bessimer street as though it was yesterday. I can smell it (and the people). More than any exotic holiday.
Must have been about seven or eight when I used to visit my auntie Cath there. Can't go back.

Northern gits are trying to pass a member of the City of London volunteer corps off as one of theirs by the look of it.

540x360.jpg

All down to google and bloody mindedness, not any particular knowledge of the subject

It is taken straight from the city of London coat of arms.

67a91a80ed024a0d4c87d902d5d4849c--greater-london-coat-of-arms.jpg

The exact badge seem to be the one below which is for the City of London volunteer regiment Note shape of the shield, not straight topped like the first one I found.

000000.jpg

Could this be the shoulder title? City of London National Guard Volunteers

MB-8892a-1500x1500.jpg

Last edited: