Recent Site Problems - Jun 11

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Jun 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, the last few days have been something of a drama! Following major issues with our database server yesterday, I had to take some pretty dramatic action which have resulted in the dramas you've all experienced. This manifested in a couple cessation of the site search function and things which needed it such as 'My Posts', 'View Forum Posts' and even 'Post New Thread'.

The good news is that all of these should now be back online although pse post any issues that I haven't spotted in this thread
  2. HHH

HHH LE

Posting new threads is back working OK now.
  3. Out of interest, Bad/Good COs - what was the root cause?

BTW, its was fast as greased ratshit this morning, but there is the occasional noticeable pause this evening. Not bad bad as the past few days, but when I asked about server loading it was preceeded by these odd delays... Of course, may be load issues?

Could you add a "users on-line" widget to the site template, so that regardless where one is, its is possible to see how many users are on? My thinking is that if there are delays and a 'huge' number of users, we know not to bother you. If there are delays and only a slack handful, we can give you a heads up.
  4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

The simple answer is that we don't know what caused yesterday's problem although it was definitely on the database server. We had some unusual activity again today at a similar time which we need to look into.

I don't think the problems are related to the number of people online although changing 'Last 50' to be the same as 'New Posts' has definitely improved things.
  5. This is now working fine for me today and tonight and it seems definately faster than it was before the problems yesterday.
  6. HHH

HHH LE

7. Am getting

<graphic> Database error
    The database has encountered a problem.

When I try jumping to a forum from a thread... several times in the last few minutes.
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'm still finding posts in the appropriate fora and "my posts/threads", but not in "New Posts" or "Last 50".
  9. I'm still finding it incredibly slow most of the time. Running Firefox on Windows 7 which is probably a mistake but still, I often just give up and go elsewhere for a day or two until it's sorted. Rather spoils the worlds best website though!
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for the reports - all useful and helps us a lot. Some of these I won't tackle until I get back to the UK next week, because I don't want to completely break something - the search mainly. Performance is something I have been looking at in detail today and will be working on - again!
  11. HHH

HHH LE

The site crashed for me, anybody else????
  12. Yep, for about half an hour. Just came back on about 5 minutes ago.
  13. Same here.

BTW (I am loath to post this for fear of tempting fate), the site has been much faster recently.
    Threads like 'Come and have a go if you are funny enough' and other threads with large photo attachments used to take ages to load fully. Almost immediate now.
  14. HHH

HHH LE

Faster indeed, but less reliable, i've found!
  15. Yup, just did it again for me, out for about 5 mins this time.

I'm keeping my gob shut.