Recent Site Problems - Jun 11

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, the last few days have been something of a drama! Following major issues with our database server yesterday, I had to take some pretty dramatic action which have resulted in the dramas you've all experienced. This manifested in a couple cessation of the site search function and things which needed it such as 'My Posts', 'View Forum Posts' and even 'Post New Thread'.

The good news is that all of these should now be back online although pse post any issues that I haven't spotted in this thread

Posting new threads is back working OK now.

Out of interest, Bad/Good COs - what was the root cause?

BTW, its was fast as greased ratshit this morning, but there is the occasional noticeable pause this evening. Not bad bad as the past few days, but when I asked about server loading http://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse-site-issues/162468-load-issues.html it was preceeded by these odd delays... Of course, may be load issues?

Could you add a "users on-line" widget to the site template, so that regardless where one is, its is possible to see how many users are on? My thinking is that if there are delays and a 'huge' number of users, we know not to bother you. If there are delays and only a slack handful, we can give you a heads up.

The simple answer is that we don't know what caused yesterday's problem although it was definitely on the database server. We had some unusual activity again today at a similar time which we need to look into.

I don't think the problems are related to the number of people online although changing 'Last 50' to be the same as 'New Posts' has definitely improved things.

This is now working fine for me today and tonight and it seems definately faster than it was before the problems yesterday.

Am getting

<graphic> Database error
The database has encountered a problem.

When I try jumping to a forum from a thread... several times in the last few minutes.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm still finding posts in the appropriate fora and "my posts/threads", but not in "New Posts" or "Last 50".

I'm still finding it incredibly slow most of the time. Running Firefox on Windows 7 which is probably a mistake but still, I often just give up and go elsewhere for a day or two until it's sorted. Rather spoils the worlds best website though!

Thanks for the reports - all useful and helps us a lot. Some of these I won't tackle until I get back to the UK next week, because I don't want to completely break something - the search mainly. Performance is something I have been looking at in detail today and will be working on - again!

The site crashed for me, anybody else????

Yep, for about half an hour. Just came back on about 5 minutes ago.
Same here.

BTW (I am loath to post this for fear of tempting fate), the site has been much faster recently.
Threads like 'Come and have a go if you are funny enough' and other threads with large photo attachments used to take ages to load fully. Almost immediate now.

Same here.

BTW (I am loath to post this for fear of tempting fate), the site has been much faster recently.
Threads like 'Come and have a go if you are funny enough' and other threads with large photo attachments used to take ages to load fully. Almost immediate now.
Faster indeed, but less reliable, i've found!

Sorry to report but had a totally lockout last evening around 2330 CET that lasted around two hours. All that I got was "Connection was Reset" after waiting five minutes when trying to access.

Threads keep falling off/failing to appear on the last 50 despite there been recent posts on them.

Edited to add - including this one.

is the 'Last 50' working like it should?

i often get the email saying there has been a post but when i go to 'Last 50' there is no sign of it yet the post is only a couple of minutes old if that?

Edited to add - the post above mine wasn't in the 'Last 50' when i checked yesterday - or else i wouldn't have posted the same thing.

I'm getting delayed duplicate Reply to Thread notifications...

e.g. P_Ts post above generated a notification, and was read. This morning, I have two more emails, one for P_Ts and one for RGJs...

Similar in the PSTD Worldwide thread - an email last night and another this morning, both regarding the same post.

is the 'Last 50' working like it should?
Unfortunately not, as a result of the dramas we had earlier in the week it has been replaced by 'New Posts' which is similar in most ways. One of the ways it is different is that once a thread has been read (by you) then it gets removed from the list. This explains the behaviour that postman_twit has observed.

Obviously we want to get this sorted but at the moment keeping the site running smoothly is the main priority.

i often get the email saying there has been a post but when i go to 'Last 50' there is no sign of it yet the post is only a couple of minutes old if that?
Do you click on the link in the email & then go to the 'Last 50'? If so, this would explain this behaviour

Edited to add - the post above mine wasn't in the 'Last 50' when i checked yesterday - or else i wouldn't have posted the same thing.
Are you saying that postman_twit's post wasn't in this thread until after you posted yours?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LostBoss Current Affairs, News and Analysis 10
Jip Travolta RLC 11
G Aviation 6