Recent Mainboarders - How deep on those pressups?!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by P-Ride, Jul 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I have my MB in five-and-a-half-weeks, so am trying to push my fitness for the next month - allowing myself to recover in the last week or so before the big day(s).

I am a little concerned about pushups, for the following reason. In my Forces Fit class (similar to British Military Fitness) test I did 73 pushups in two minutes, which I was relatively pleased with. I was aware they were not as deep as the Army would require, but was still confident for my generic infantry visit.

Due to virtue of alphabet, I was partnered with our resident Asperger's wielding idiot. Whilst the things that exited his mouth (such as scoffing at state schools or attempting to chat up canteen staff) were the subject of amusement formost of us, he really fucked me over on the PFT.

During the pushups he kept accusing me of not looking forwards or going deep enough - he was getting me pretty much chest on ground. He counted me at 38 at the end.

I was careful to count on my situps; whereas I counted at least 50, perhaps 60 - he counted again in the high 30s. When I asked him why, he said because I was using my momentum for many of them - something I have never been accused of doing before and which my friend (an Army PTI) rubbished.

I am now practising my pressups so my chest makes contact with the ground and I go the whole way up and am struggling.

Do I really need to go this deep? Or do you do the thing where you go down to the top of someone's clenched fist?

I apologise again for asking on this subject, but some clarity from someone who has recently been on MB as to how low I need to go and how it will be measured would be really appreciated!

2. I have not recently been to Main Board, but when I did briefing I mentioned the old school clenched fist method of testing if you had gone low enough; to which the group leader said that it was no longer used and the test was if your arms were at 90 degrees or, the top of your arm is parallel to the floor.

3. tbc

tbc Swinger

I would agree with the two above posts - I did my main board last month, and the press-up regulation was stated as upper arms at 90 degrees to the floor.
    Good luck with your main board.
  4. Nice to see some **** getting in the swing of seeing his oppos off early on in his career
  5. I found this amusing from my American Marine perspective in the AOSB Main Board Program(me):

Ah, the interesting differences in our cultures!
  6. Thanks very much gents. That height looks somewhat more reasonable!

Another sensible point raised by Sentinel 89; are we allowed to have our elbows out? I've been doing them nice and wide-armed - tucking in elbows like that is much harder!

My recruiting Officer said 'Only the most uber-**** of PTI's make you do elbows-in' - what do you guys think? Did you have to at MB?

As recommended, I'm focusing more on 'Macro' (character/fitness) rather than 'Micro' (pedantic ARRSING) training - but this is important stuff!

Thanks Again - and Good Luck to all!
  7. You can post this in the "for what it is worth" column but I also am a big advocate of workouts of the exercises on the test under increasingly difficult and more strenuous conditions than will exist for the test as well as more repetitions than you will do in the actual event. For example, do push (press) ups with weight on your upper back, varying your hand positions from hands touching (tips of thumbs and index fingers touching), and varying widths outward. Also with feet raised (on a chair for example) and hands on floor as well as using benches or chairs to have your feet and hands off the floor so that when you lower you go below the plane of your palms. Also switching from palms down, to knuckles down, fingertips down (and eventually fewer and fewer fingertips).

All these tricks improve the overall strength of the major and (as importantly) minor muscle groups and connecting tissues so that when the event comes it is no trouble to max the requirement and also save needed energy and strength for other events.

The same principle should apply to other events (sit ups with weights and on incline board, running with weight, on hills, and LOTS of distance--in my experience there is NO substitute for maximum performance of your cardio-vascular system and that comes primarily with distance-not speed. Once you get your base for oxygen uptake (training aerobically--use the "talk test"--keep asking yourself if running alone if you could carry on a normal conversation--if not, you are running too fast, regardless of your actual speed--if you train with others, they need to run your pace or you need to run alone unless you are specifically working on speed) then you can sharpen with speed (fartleks, intervals) and hill work.

Proper training takes discipline and that means not allowing the fitness level of others cause you to overdo our own training due to your ego interfering--that is different than consciously using someone at a high level to pull you up in specific training events but not generally since that will actually set you back if you are having to go anaerobic to keep up. Look at fitness as a long term, and never ending process-not an end state.

Another way to increase the number of repetitions without it being a mental bloc is to spread them out over the day. If watching TV(telly) do a set every time they have a change in program(me), doing max reps every hour etc. That way in a days' time you will have done many more reps than you could in one session.
  8. Practice it with flawless, painful, straight arms with hands directly below shoulders, down until chest is just about touching the floor and elbows tucked in to sides technique and then you can't go wrong either way whether you get an **** person assessing you or someone more laid back. Had you used perfect technique when the donkey you described was watching you probably would have had no problems, as you wouldn't have wasted energy on reps which didn't count. Good luck.
  9. Not sure if insisting on elbows in is **** - it's how the press ups are supposed to be done for the PFT! It'd be like saying only a particulary **** PTI would make you do more than six miles on a CFT...
  10. The DS when I did briefing said it didn't matter elbows in or out, all they looked for was a 90deg bend in the elbow on going down, locked out on the up portion and a straight back the whole time.

11. Thanks for the advice guys.

I am doing 80 pressups each morning and 80 pressups each evening (except my one rest day each week).

Naturally progress is gauged by how many sets are required to complete the 80, at the moment I take one minute breaks, which I will drop to 30 then 20 seconds over the next several weeks. I will drop in the odd 2 minute test to check as well.

My 1.5mile time at my Infantry visit was 10:03 so as long as I keep the running up and do an interval session once per week in addition I should be ok. I got to level 9.11 on the MSFT at my briefing in November before having to stop due to nearly being sick - so that extra three runs should be ok.
  12. Excellent progress
  13. Thanks! I forgot to mention my 1.5 mile back last summer was a thoroughly shameful 13 minutes (although on grass), so I'm pleased with where it's going - but naturally it's all about delivering the goods on the big day.

I'm just under 5'9" and about 13 stone with stubby, short hobbit legs, so (as I've been joyfully reminded by friends) am hardly Usain Bolt - but have recently determined that willingness to endure pain and suffering for the relatively short 10 minutes-ish seems to impact fairly heavily on your runtime.

I did meet a Para Officer even shorter and wider than me recently though - and with a 7:50 PB - which was reassuring!
  14. In your training for Main Board fitness, make sure you do it this way around.

Do your Bleep Test or 1.5mile run, then have a 2 minute break, then get down and do the press-ups and sit-ups.

This will make it much more realistic, as at Main Board you do all three back to back and you will be tired.

Get to 44 and they stop you, or 50 for the sit-ups. Correct form is ESSENTIAL, I ended up doing 15 extra sit-ups.

Press-ups, always start with chest to floor and Yes go down LOW