Recent increase in spamming on ARRSEpedia

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Tax_Tw-t, Mar 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given the recent increase in weirdly-named spam pages in t'pedia, how about temporarily preventing newly-registered contributors from creating new pages? Or, if that can't be done, how about restricting all edits for new contributors?
    It would only require a probation period of a week or two, and this would probably only need to be in force for six months or so. After that, whoever is doing this will have given up and moved on.

2. Is anything happening to tackle the spam problem?

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Sorry guys and yes this is something we've got in hand - Patchpedia has the same problem. It has taken a back seat to getting our server problems sorted but we will get round to it! In the meantime thanks to everyone who keeps zapping the stuff!

4. Bad CO

Long overdue but I've installed a few anti-spam measures on the ARRSEpedia which I hope will prevent further spam proliferation .....

5. Bad CO

Hmm, not quite as successful as I'd hoped so I've gone down the reCaptcha route. Yes,, I know that its been cracked but I'm hoping it will still help.

6. I've boycotted my local chinky in protest. If nothing else it racks up my edit count - and as we all know, you are what you edit. 5k here ich comen! They will speak of the Great 2011 Spam Tsunami in awe in years to come... probably.

7. It's all gone... quiet. Crumbs, that's torn it skipper!

8. It would appear we're undergoing the Great Spam Tsunami of 2014. I'm on top of it... sort of, but it's a ball-ache.

9. My account has not let me have access a number of times.

10. Me neither, but I'm back in. Give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bad CO

Thanks @BuckFelize for your recent efforts in cleaning out the ARRSEpedia. I've just done a few myself but have also upgraded our anti spam measures including the excellently named Bad-Behaviour extension that also pulls in information from Project Honey Pot!

As with any anti spam measure this will probably work for a bit until the forces of darkness figure out a way to crack it ....

12. Bad CO

No sign of any spam although that might be just because they have the weekend off.....

13. Have seen a few in CA recently which than fully have lasted only a few minutes.
    Was a bit annoyed about one of the deletions though, apparently one of my appendages could have b even doubled in size, for not much money and I never got to find out.

14. Lay off the Cillit Bang.