Recent Afghan deployment notices.

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by RustyH, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [/quote]The Ministry of Defence is also expected to announce that Britain's 3 Commando Brigade will take over from 16 Air Assault Brigade in six months' time.

2. Not too early. 1 Rifles will be part of 3 Cdo from 1st April.

3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Rumour as of this week is that 1RIFLES will indeed deploy on Herrick 9 as part of 3 Cdo Bde.

4. Aren't they supposed to be working out the composition of Herrick 10 and 11 soon?
    Also, am I to take it that this means the disputes between the Marines and the Rifles over what 1 RIFLES will do within 3 Brigade have been resolved? Or was that just rumours/tabloid trash?

5. I thought 1 RIRISH were going out soon? Yet they are part of the 16 Air
    Assault thats getting rotated. How does that work?

6. Yes the Royal Irish Regiment is deploying as part of 16 Air Assault Brigade. Funny thing though the Royal Irish Regiment is and has been a member of this brigade on and off since its inseption. peolpe need to bare in mind that 16 Air Assault is not made up of cherry berets alone also included in the Brigade is 5 Scots(Argylls) and other supporting arms. if we want to start theowing weight around just ask the question. As part of the liberation of IRAQ which battalion on merit was the lead Air Assault Battalion to cross the border? clue... It wasnt a para battalion.

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

True. 1 RIRISH and 3 Para drove across the border hot on the heels of a USMC task force. 1 Para was held back for an air assault task onto an airfield, which was subsequently scrubbed due the objective becoming redundant.

Try not to draw too big a conclusion from the order in which a very large brigade followed an even larger division into a mostly empty bit of desert.

8. Rusty
    The minister made it clear at the outset what 1 Rifles Role would be in a answer to a question in parliament almost a year ago.

He said.

As part of the the Joint Rapid Reaction Force (JRRF) the brigade retains a Lead Commando Group ready to deploy world-wide at very short notice.

Thought the entire statement was worth posting, but basically the only difference between the brigade tasks for 40, 42 and 45 Commando and 1 Rifles will be that 1 Rifles will not undertake the Lead Commando Group role.

Or so the minister has said, and he also pointed out that although this wasn't announced until early last year the planning has been ongoing since 2005.

I haven't heard anything via rumour control in regards opportunities outside of the battalion but within the brigade that might be open to individuals though even though the battalions role seems pretty clear.

Of course, how that will pan out on the ground remains to be seen as the Brigade Commander is going to have a bit of a job managing ego's and expectations.

9. The 1st "Infantry Quarterly" says that 1 RIFLES will be the 2nd Assault Echelon of 3 Cdo Bde allowing 3 Cdo Bde to maintain its Cdo role/tasks and have a unit on the OCP.

10. And what exactly does that mean?

T C

11. 1 Rifles stag-on, RM go be rufty-tufty?

Just throwing it out there

12. Well that's what it looks like to me... But could they get away with that? Surely 1 Rifles would tell 'em where to stick it instead becoming a FP Battalion for 3 Bde.

T C

13. In Afghanistan? The current line-up is five battle groups in the brigade there. 3 Commando Brigade will presumably take 42 and 45 Commandos and 1 Rifles with, so it will need two more battalions/regiments just to bring it up to the same strength as the current force (unless there is going to be a serious reduction in the force level there which seems highly unlikely). No battalion or regiment which has gone out there has just stagged-on.

14. Well that was kind of my point. I can't see them being a FP Battalion, so what does 2nd Echelon mean? And yeah, who else is going with them? Will it be an extra 2 Inf battle groups bolted onto the Bde, using the Bde's CSS?

T C