Receiving award question

Discussion in 'ACF' started by sinclinio, Jun 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok when you receive a award or promotion you march up to the officer, halt, salute, shake hands, accept award with left hand ok now do you salute step back and then march off or do you step back and then salute and march off....PLZ HELP

thanks alot

2. Salute first then Foxtrot oscar, doubtless therell be at least 10 versions of this about to come through though so awaiting incoming

3. When I received mine I was drilled to:

march up to the presenting officer
    halt
    salute
    shake hands
    accept award with left hand (a bloody big wooden shield thing) and place carrying hand behind my back
    step back
    salute
    about turn
    march back to the ranks

Oh, and not to fall ARRSE over tit by slamming my ammo-booted foot into the shiny wooden floor, like I did during the rehearsal... :roll: :oops:

4. that helps alot cheers. Im receiving an award down my detachment next week and wanted to double check.

5. "Technically" as you are reporting the salute should come first before legging it with your ill-gotten award. All purist niceties aside however, all that handshaking and bonhomie will usually result in the presenting officer being too near. So to avoid cuffing him with the salute or kneeing him in the Michael Ballacks whilst withdrawing, I agree with Dozy - slip in that "one pace-step to the rear march!" for everybody's peace of mind.

Dozy, don't worry about the slipping thing. When I collected my best recruit thing at Redesdale Camp in an icy December morning many, many years ago, I slammed in my heel - went sliding like a demented Argentinaian full-back and nearly brought the CO to the ground! good old "Mild Bill" Porteous

6. March forward, halt, salute (hold until presenting officer has returned salute and has cut arm away), on pace forward (shoot the left leg forward, raise the right leg thigh paralle to the ground foot hanging naturally below the knee before driving it home to resume the position of attention) extend left hand to accept award, shake with right hand (hold pose of pices for media ops as approp), step back (thrust the left leg to the rear, raise the right leg thigh paralle to the ground foot hanging naturally below the knee before driving it home to resume the position of attention), salute (hold until presenting officer has returned salute and has cut arm away) turn to left or right as appropriate and march away!

Jobs a good un!

7. lol Im sure theres a few funny tales of award acceptances goin horribly wrong. Seems quite simple during practice but when yu get up there it s a different kettle of fish eh.

8. I didnt think it was an about turn , I thought it was a 135 degree (A right/left with an incline on top) turn to avoid turning your back on an Officer.

9. March up
    Halt
    Salute
    Shake hand (if offered)
    Recieve award with right hand or both
    Transfer award t left hand only if possible
    One Step rearwards
    Salute
    Turn (90 or 180 degrees) depending on exit route pop smoke and bugger off!

Should not go far wrong with this

Cheers

10. Thinking about it, you're right - it wasn't an about turn for the reason you've stated. The event was around 14 years ago, so forgive my memory! :D

11. The passage of time Dozy........

12. Yeah i thought you dont about turn on an officer.

13. hence the step to the rear, salute, left or right turn (as space dictates) and march away...

14. Left or right, fair one...I was always taught a 135 degree turn.

15. Is there such a movement in the drill manual? Then it can not be done! This misconseption comes from having turned at the halt to immediatly wheel marching back to squad, out the office door etc.