Receiving award question

Ok when you receive a award or promotion you march up to the officer, halt, salute, shake hands, accept award with left hand ok now do you salute step back and then march off or do you step back and then salute and march off....PLZ HELP

thanks alot

When I received mine I was drilled to:

march up to the presenting officer
halt
salute
shake hands
accept award with left hand (a bloody big wooden shield thing) and place carrying hand behind my back
step back
salute
about turn
march back to the ranks

Oh, and not to fall ARRSE over tit by slamming my ammo-booted foot into the shiny wooden floor, like I did during the rehearsal... :roll: :oops:

"Technically" as you are reporting the salute should come first before legging it with your ill-gotten award. All purist niceties aside however, all that handshaking and bonhomie will usually result in the presenting officer being too near. So to avoid cuffing him with the salute or kneeing him in the Michael Ballacks whilst withdrawing, I agree with Dozy - slip in that "one pace-step to the rear march!" for everybody's peace of mind.

Dozy, don't worry about the slipping thing. When I collected my best recruit thing at Redesdale Camp in an icy December morning many, many years ago, I slammed in my heel - went sliding like a demented Argentinaian full-back and nearly brought the CO to the ground! good old "Mild Bill" Porteous

March forward, halt, salute (hold until presenting officer has returned salute and has cut arm away), on pace forward (shoot the left leg forward, raise the right leg thigh paralle to the ground foot hanging naturally below the knee before driving it home to resume the position of attention) extend left hand to accept award, shake with right hand (hold pose of pices for media ops as approp), step back (thrust the left leg to the rear, raise the right leg thigh paralle to the ground foot hanging naturally below the knee before driving it home to resume the position of attention), salute (hold until presenting officer has returned salute and has cut arm away) turn to left or right as appropriate and march away!

Jobs a good un!

lol Im sure theres a few funny tales of award acceptances goin horribly wrong. Seems quite simple during practice but when yu get up there it s a different kettle of fish eh.

I didnt think it was an about turn , I thought it was a 135 degree (A right/left with an incline on top) turn to avoid turning your back on an Officer.

March up
Halt
Salute
Shake hand (if offered)
Recieve award with right hand or both
Transfer award t left hand only if possible
One Step rearwards
Salute
Turn (90 or 180 degrees) depending on exit route pop smoke and bugger off!

Should not go far wrong with this

Cheers

Xplosiverab said:
I didnt think it was an about turn , I thought it was a 135 degree (A right/left with an incline on top) turn to avoid turning your back on an Officer.
Thinking about it, you're right - it wasn't an about turn for the reason you've stated. The event was around 14 years ago, so forgive my memory! :D

Xplosiverab said:
Left or right, fair one...I was always taught a 135 degree turn.
Is there such a movement in the drill manual? Then it can not be done! This misconseption comes from having turned at the halt to immediatly wheel marching back to squad, out the office door etc.

whenever you practice saluting to the front, do you not immediately follow it with an about turn? ... 2 3 up 2 3 down 2 3 up 2 3 down 2 3 about 2 3 in 2 3 left right left...

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
whenever you practice saluting to the front, do you not immediately follow it with an about turn? ... 2 3 up 2 3 down 2 3 up 2 3 down 2 3 about 2 3 in 2 3 left right left...
Excellent point, very well put, but you're forgetting that salute to the front is a drill movement carried out on the march! And of course there's saluting to the left and right too... up 2, 3, 4, 5, down swing, no turn at all!

One wonders what point is trying to be made here... :wink:

just thought the salute to the front resembled the march up - receive award - march away sequence. and if you are saluting to the front, you are then turning your back on an officer, are you not?

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
just thought the salute to the front resembled the march up - receive award - march away sequence. and if you are saluting to the front, you are then turning your back on an officer, are you not?
But it doesn't resemble it does it. I'm sure you will agree with me that when one reports to an officer, one salutes and WAITS until the officer returns the salutes and cuts his arm away before you yourself cut your arm away to resume the position of attention...

(Close, but no cigar :wink: )