Reccomended Laptop - Manufacturers and Models

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Richard_Hannay, Sep 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for a laptop to replace my home desktop (just in order to save space).

Pretty basic needs:

WiFi internet
    File management
    Letters and spreadsheets
    iTunes, BBC iPlayer, DVD and TV CatchUp

I have a couple of external hard drives any way so storage space is not a big issue.

Looking at Dell, Acer and Sony as manufacturers, not thoughts yet on models.

Budget circa £500.

Any thoughts on manufacturers and models ? Any recommended? Any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Toshiba Satellites. On my 3rd one in about 14 years. Always solid, reliable and only dumped in order to move up to newer models.
  3. msr

msr LE

4. My experience is the opposite, on my 3rd one in 2yrs (work laptop), last one went completely wobbly and we had to spend a grand retrieving info. Sufficed to say, I back up daily now. My home laptop is an Acer 5532 and is very good.
  5. Acer 5935G here. Can be purchased at a smi-reasonable cost now, no where the £1000 I paid 9 months ago :(
  6. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I'm in the same boat, looking for something that I can take away with me that's not going to fall apart, or become outdated six months after I eventually buy it. For that sort of money, I'd considered the HP G62 (Core i3, 15.6" screen), but when I finally got to see one, it felt really flimsy and cheap.

Asus has a decent rep, but the price of them tends to be just a little more than, say Acer. Cheaper than an equivalent spec Sony though.
  7. Acer Aspire 7745G here and it does the biz for me.

I am also a member of Which? and the Acer Aspire 5740 comes out as a best buy at around £450. Look on Foundem for a decent price.

Dell occasionally put on some very nice offers but you've got to keep looking and get in there.
  8. I'm working from an Acer Aspire 5810T at the moment. Less than a year old. It's utterly shit.

The specs are good, but a key has fallen off, and the 'power saving' technology is a pain in the arse. I would never buy one again.

Granted, my experience might be a one-off, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
  9. All - thanks for the advice!

10. I love Asus and I think they have some of the best build quality of anything on the market - All their shock and accidental fall protection stuff is amazing.

Acer will give you the best bang for buck at a budget of £500, once you have looked around I will happily see if I can find anything better out there for you. :D
  11. If you are going to be using it for DVDs/CDs regularly or anything else other than net, radio and limited movie/TV use Id get a laptop otherwise go for a note book.
  12. I bought a Samsung netbook, great for general surfing and stuuf, but wouldn't want to use it all day for working on word/excel etc.
  13. The Dell Inspiron 15 series are top! I've got mine running Ubuntu but it ran fine on vista so will run top on Windows 7. Integrated Mic and Cam for your online webcam sex shows, when you need that bit of extra cash, too.
  14. Speed is quite good, but small screen and keyboard can become strain if using it a lot.