Recce troop as Tank crewman

Cfc1603

Clanker
If you join as a tank crewman can you get posted to a recce troop within a tank regiment or do you have to join as a different role

Boxy

GCM
I was in a tank Regt, Scots DG, and crewed tanks, Guided Weapons and finally Recce.

once in your Regt if there is a vacancy for Recce I would totally recommend it.

you get cross trained on the vehicle

Last time I checked the RAC only had one trade - vehicle crewman. You just do different roles within that trade according to the needs of the regiment and your skill set. And you will be trained accordingly.
I never did Recce Troop, but was trained as a CVR(T) driver within the regiment. Excellent fun.

Cfc1603

Clanker
Last time I checked the RAC only had one trade - vehicle crewman. You just do different roles within that trade according to the needs of the regiment and your skill set. And you will be trained accordingly.
I never did Recce Troop, but was trained as a CVR(T) driver within the regiment. Excellent fun.
Do you get choice on what regiment you want to join or just a preference?

Sorry, can’t help there as I don’t know how it works these days. In days gone you would be steered towards the regiment which is local to your area. Even then, that wasn’t a hard and fast rule.
My advice for anyone joining the RAC is always the same: go for the regiments who are still using MBT. They will still have other options, including recce troop. Whereas the other regiments are unlikely to acquire a troop or two of MBT.

Cfc1603

Clanker
Sorry, can’t help there as I don’t know how it works these days. In days gone you would be steered towards the regiment which is local to your area. Even then, that wasn’t a hard and fast rule.
My advice for anyone joining the RAC is always the same: go for the regiments who are still using MBT. They will still have other options, including recce troop. Whereas the other regiments are unlikely to acquire a troop or two of MBT.
Yeah that's the plan to get trained on MBT and then see what other opportunities are available after sometime being at a regiment

RTR mate, it’s the only way to go! For a start, the Regt tends to parade in Black Coveralls, nothing cooler! As Will Smith said in Men in Black “ We make it look good “
Fear Naught.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
In theory there are recruiting areas. In practice, there are three line regiments in each of these roles. Recruiting areas have become meaningless. Unless you have a powerful argument, expect to go where you're sent within whichever role you choose. Whichever regiment is least fully manned.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
masher69 RAC 9
ChunkeyKnob RAC 2
ChunkeyKnob Infantry 1

Latest Threads