Recce role?

#1
I would just like to know about the exact role of a 'recce' in the RAC/HAC. Do the armoured Recconisence regiments, such as the Household cavalry and other light cavalry, carry out mounted and dis-mounted operations? I am going to apply soon and would like to know what their role is. :?
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#2
Stewi, you will go down well in RECCE. There are loads of post in here but it may take a little time and energy. For starters TRY HERE.
 
#3
Thanks mate, it helped alot. Now I just need to know which is the best FR regiment to join and if you join the Household cavalry do you alternate between being on horesback on cerimonial and serving on the fighting side of the regiment.
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#5
Stewi said:
Thanks mate, it helped alot. Now I just need to know which is the best FR regiment to join and if you join the Household cavalry do you alternate between being on horesback on cerimonial and serving on the fighting side of the regiment.
That will depend on which dinky toy outfit logs on first. You could always become a real man and get your arrse in a panzer.
 
#6
elovabloke said:
Stewi said:
Thanks mate, it helped alot. Now I just need to know which is the best FR regiment to join and if you join the Household cavalry do you alternate between being on horesback on cerimonial and serving on the fighting side of the regiment.
That will depend on which dinky toy outfit logs on first. You could always become a real man and get your arrse in a panzer.
Do you mean joining a regiment equiped with Challengers?
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#7
Stewi said:
Do you mean joining a regiment equiped with Challengers?
There the only ones we have.

Contrary to popular belief - just because it has tracks does not make it a tank.
 
#8
elovabloke said:
Stewi said:
Do you mean joining a regiment equiped with Challengers?
There the only ones we have.

Contrary to popular belief - just because it has tracks does not make it a tank.
Lol. But then do regiments such as 1RTR also carry out dis-mounted duties? And what different roles are there?
 
#10
From the MOD site......The Queen's Royal Lancers are now established as the most effective Formation Reconnaissance Regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps. Nuff said :D

QRL are in Catterick, or Afghanistan, depending on what Squadron, but should, note the word should be moving to Germany next year. Or maybe the year after :)
 
#11
scarletto said:
From the MOD site......The Queen's Royal Lancers are now established as the most effective Formation Reconnaissance Regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps. Nuff said :D

QRL are in Catterick, or Afghanistan, depending on what Squadron, but should, note the word should be moving to Germany next year. Or maybe the year after :)
Thanks mate. Do they also carry out ceremonial duties :scratch?:
 
#12
Stewi said:
scarletto said:
From the MOD site......The Queen's Royal Lancers are now established as the most effective Formation Reconnaissance Regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps. Nuff said :D

QRL are in Catterick, or Afghanistan, depending on what Squadron, but should, note the word should be moving to Germany next year. Or maybe the year after :)
Thanks mate. Do they also carry out ceremonial duties :scratch?:
Funny you should ask that and I'm not taking the p1ss yes they do! ISTR just recently one of their Sqn's doing 'Public Duties'! 8O Mind you I think it will turn into the norm soon, what with all the other things going on! :roll:
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#13
soprano54 said:
Mind you I think it will turn into the norm soon, what with all the other things going on! :roll:
Polish your boots Stav. I think January looks fav.
 
#14
soprano54 said:
Stewi said:
scarletto said:
From the MOD site......The Queen's Royal Lancers are now established as the most effective Formation Reconnaissance Regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps. Nuff said :D

QRL are in Catterick, or Afghanistan, depending on what Squadron, but should, note the word should be moving to Germany next year. Or maybe the year after :)
Thanks mate. Do they also carry out ceremonial duties :scratch?:
Funny you should ask that and I'm not taking the p1ss yes they do! ISTR just recently one of their Sqn's doing 'Public Duties'! 8O Mind you I think it will turn into the norm soon, what with all the other things going on! :roll:
Yes one Squadron did Buck House, which shows the manpower situation as you alluded too mate 8O
 
#15
Do you get to choose whether you can do public duties or not? Like for example with the QRL and Household cavalry, do you get to choose which side of the regiment you go to ceremonial vs FR side?
 
#16
Stewi said:
Do you get to choose whether you can do public duties or not? Like for example with the QRL and Household cavalry, do you get to choose which side of the regiment you go to ceremonial vs FR side?
QRL dont do ceremonial duties per se, they were asked/invited/drew short straw to do it. Normally they are certainly should i say nowadays out in hot places, so if you join QRL i wouldnt expect you to see Buck house duties at all, though saying that due to current comittments, more Regiments will, as the Guards will be also off in Hot places. :)
 
#17
QRL dont do ceremonial duties per se, they were asked/invited/drew short straw to do it. Normally they are certainly should i say nowadays out in hot places, so if you join QRL i wouldnt expect you to see Buck house duties at all, though saying that due to current comittments, more Regiments will, as the Guards will be also off in Hot places. :)
Are the QRL on tours in Afghanistan? And why does it seem that the regiments equipped with challenger tanks only go on tours to Iraq and not Afghanistan?
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#18
Stewi said:
QRL dont do ceremonial duties per se, they were asked/invited/drew short straw to do it. Normally they are certainly should i say nowadays out in hot places, so if you join QRL i wouldnt expect you to see Buck house duties at all, though saying that due to current comittments, more Regiments will, as the Guards will be also off in Hot places. :)
Are the QRL on tours in Afghanistan? And why does it seem that the regiments equipped with challenger tanks only go on tours to Iraq and not Afghanistan?
There are no challenger's in the Stan but CR boys to go out there and drive and comman number of other armoured vehicles.

Recce guys go out and find things - you are failing. DO SOME HOMEWORK
 
#19
Stewi said:
QRL dont do ceremonial duties per se, they were asked/invited/drew short straw to do it. Normally they are certainly should i say nowadays out in hot places, so if you join QRL i wouldnt expect you to see Buck house duties at all, though saying that due to current comittments, more Regiments will, as the Guards will be also off in Hot places. :)
Are the QRL on tours in Afghanistan? And why does it seem that the regiments equipped with challenger tanks only go on tours to Iraq and not Afghanistan?
Stewi the RAC soldier is an adaptable beast, in the past we have dismounted from our steel steeds and carried out tours in NI, Kosovo & Cyprus on foot. In more recent years they have converted to Warrior, Bulldog & Mastiff and very recently Viking! 8O So wether you join an FR or Armoured Regt you you will have variety, which apparently is the spice of life! :D
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#20
scarletto said:
From the MOD site......The Queen's Royal Lancers are now established as the most effective Formation Reconnaissance Regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps. Nuff said :D

QRL are in Catterick, or Afghanistan, depending on what Squadron, but should, note the word should be moving to Germany next year. Or maybe the year after :)
If you want the best Recce Regt, you could try the Light Dragoons. To quote a former Chief of Defence Staff (quoted here from the LD official website but it was widely quoted at the time):

And so, in December 1992, The Light Dragoons were formed. Or perhaps we should say reformed, since the new name harked back to the original light dragoons. The Princess of Wales became their first colonel in chief. Almost immediately, the new regiment began a long series of operational deployments in the Balkans, prompting a former chief of defence staff to describe them as the best regiment in the army - "consistently the best officered, best recruited and the most effective."
Been recce since amalgamation and both parent regiments had long recce traditions. You need to larn Pitmatic though.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top