Recce role?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Stewi, Oct 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would just like to know about the exact role of a 'recce' in the RAC/HAC. Do the armoured Recconisence regiments, such as the Household cavalry and other light cavalry, carry out mounted and dis-mounted operations? I am going to apply soon and would like to know what their role is. :?

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Stewi, you will go down well in RECCE. There are loads of post in here but it may take a little time and energy. For starters TRY HERE.

3. Thanks mate, it helped alot. Now I just need to know which is the best FR regiment to join and if you join the Household cavalry do you alternate between being on horesback on cerimonial and serving on the fighting side of the regiment.

4. QRL are a good regiment.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

That will depend on which dinky toy outfit logs on first. You could always become a real man and get your arrse in a panzer.

6. Do you mean joining a regiment equiped with Challengers?

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

There the only ones we have.

Contrary to popular belief - just because it has tracks does not make it a tank.

8. Lol. But then do regiments such as 1RTR also carry out dis-mounted duties? And what different roles are there?

9. Where are QRL based?

10. From the MOD site......The Queen's Royal Lancers are now established as the most effective Formation Reconnaissance Regiment in the Royal Armoured Corps. Nuff said :D

QRL are in Catterick, or Afghanistan, depending on what Squadron, but should, note the word should be moving to Germany next year. Or maybe the year after :)

11. Thanks mate. Do they also carry out ceremonial duties :scratch?:

12. Funny you should ask that and I'm not taking the p1ss yes they do! ISTR just recently one of their Sqn's doing 'Public Duties'! 8O Mind you I think it will turn into the norm soon, what with all the other things going on! :roll:

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Polish your boots Stav. I think January looks fav.

14. Yes one Squadron did Buck House, which shows the manpower situation as you alluded too mate 8O

15. Do you get to choose whether you can do public duties or not? Like for example with the QRL and Household cavalry, do you get to choose which side of the regiment you go to ceremonial vs FR side?