Recce Regiments

Discussion in 'RAC' started by army_rec, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am from Telford in Shropshire. I am lookin at joining in the Formation Recce side of things. I am a bit new to all this and not great at finding out the best information on the net...........

Am i right in believing that the Regiments most relevant to me in terms of location are:

The Queens Dragoon Guards
    The Household Cavalry
    The Queens Royal Lancers

If i am right, how likely is it that i will be placed in 1 of the above regiments?

2. Do you have any family affiliations to these regiments?
    My Family are from Bishops Castle, my ancestors served in the KSLI and Welsh Guards.
    I chose HCR because they are the best. (awaits incoming)

3. You sure you want to go Recce??

4. No family history in the forces at all.

What are the + and - of the different Reg if there are any.

Yes im sure i want to go Recce, been umming and arring for the past year, always been something i have been interested in but keep coming across different trades and changing my mind. Didnt help being in a long term relationship at the time but now that is out the way i am positive what i want to do now. What i meant by not the best at finding out information is that its hard to judge when its not something that is written directly about what i want to know, can gain much more info when my questions are directly answered if you know what i mean.

5. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

If you can find your way around Telford then you are over qualified for Formation Recce! I spent 14 years in The Blues And Royals/HCR, so i may come across somewhat biased but they are an excellent Regiment with an Operational record second to none.
    You have to temper this with the Ceremonial side of life though,it has its fans but Im not one of them (I was armoured for my whole time). You need to ask yourself if you wish to do that aswell because I seriously doubt you will be able to avoid it like I did.
    The QDG are an excellent Regiment with a very strong family bond and a great reputation on operations to boot. Im less well informed on the Scarlet Lancers having not really had much to do with them in my time. Im sure Scarletto can fill you in beter than I.
    In the end the choice you make should be your own and suit you, dont be pushed into making a decision by the careers office staff. I did used to know the HCR guy at Shrewsbury ACIO but that was some time ago I expect he has moved on now. It wont hurt to go and have a chat with them though,just keep a strong mind.
    Good Luck.

6. Thanks for that, very informative post :D

Your right about the Ceremonial side of things, not sure it would be something that attracts me either to be honest. Im looking at the QDG probably but would like to find out as much as possible about all 3 at the same time.

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

And you could spend 10 min trawling through the many threads on the subject in the forum, or like the other young dashing thrusters show your true potential by setting up yet another thread.

8. All 3 are great Regiments, I suggest you check out the RAC forums and have a trawl through and see what people are saying about them, although I fear all you might find out is that everyone hates the 9/12. Poor things.
    Good luck, and I hope you look good in red.

9. Rather than opening another thread, can I just ask: why does everyone hate 9/12? Is it just a sport, something people do because that's the way it's always been?

10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Nobody hates the 3/4 prancers. It's imposable to hate a mythe :lol:

11. It's the law.

HTH
    HAND

12. Point of order, please.

13. Oh good, Wooden top v Cav

<fx opens popcorn> :)