Recce buffs and spotters

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mighty_doh_nut, Sep 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what are the tiddlies upto?

Very Typhoon / Rafale like in appearance, yet only one donkey

What is it? when did it first fly? Hopw many have they got? is it any cop? Can I have a go?
  2. New Chinese air defence fighter "Fighting Dragon" or some such .Strong F-16/Lavi influence , Glass cockpit shows influence from these sources too, but the Israeli's have never passed on any technology , oh no siree...
  3. I remember a Farnborough Air Show some years ago when the GD stand and the Elbit stands were "intruded into" during the silent hours. The intruders were spotted leaving but made a very professional getaway. The only descriptions were "short -say 5'2", about 120 lbs, yellowish complexion with black hair.."

The Chinese have been doing industrial espionage forever and I think they are very subtle in the way they go about it.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

tee hee.....wasn't that the show when one of the electro optic aircrew helmets went walkabout from the Genco stand IIRC ?

Gizmo that has weapon slaved to helmet movement - turn your head, look, flick switch - FOX 1 !

( and for anyone out there who thinks this is either Hollywood-only or indeed 'new' technology - go talk to Apache aircrew ! )

Le Chevre
  5. Quite correct Your Goatishness. Much egg on face of SBAC, MoD Sy and others who should have performed a bit more slickly!
  6. I believe if you went along to the Patent Office at that time the details were available in the patent. We had an intellectual property lecture from a chap who worked there and he was most amused by it.

Apparently the scuba divers involved in the winged keel incident during the Americas Cup needn't have bothered either. All nicely documented and available for a small fee...

Edited for rubbish typing.
  7. Do military aircraft need two engines ?
    One big powerful engine is much lighter and occupies much less space so a more effective fighter / bomber may be built.
    A well designed moderen gas turbine should be reliable, especially compared with what has gone before.
    Yes I know heli pilots like two donkeys but really at end of day thats just to increase their job opertunies post service.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

with two, you always have the advantage that if one fails or is damaged for any reason, you have the other to get you home.
  9. Yes 10/10.
    However we are talking military aircraft and I am saying that a lighter smaller aircraft with one big engine giving same poweroutput as a twin will be a more combat capaple aircraft.
    All other things being equal.