Recaptcha when posting???

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by tiny_lewis, Mar 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now, I know I'm still a sprog on here, but even so, I would have thought that six years "in" and 1500+ posts that the site would know me by now.

Tried to post a reply in "geek, nerd help please" and I'm faced with an in-your-face recaptcha screen to prove I am who I am! Apparently my post contained content that might be inappropriate or something!

WTF???

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

How many times has it happened? Out of how many posts?

3. Just the once, this morning, out of 1992 posts.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It's an anti-spam / security system that I'm trying. It's not integrated with VBulletin so doesn't know how many posts you have. Since it has only happened once and has been on since the middle of last week I would ask you to live with it for the time being at least. If we don't think it's achieving anything I'll turn it off.

5. And again, this morning. On both occasions I was copying a PM into a reply. It is annoying - I have a problem identifying the individual letters, especially when they overlap the white/black boundary, and spend longer typing hopeful combinations of letters into a box than I do with the bloody initial post!

Do you have an IP for j.smith1981 ? :)

6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I've had this a couple of times too, although obviously I use the site a lot at the moment. It doesn't overly bother me and like everyone I'm used to and accept the need for captchas here and there on the internet. Are you really sure it bothers you that much? If so no problem and I hear the complaints, but I hope you'll bear with it until I get more feedback. [open_flood_gates]So far you're the only one who has taken issue with it [/open_flood_gates]

Other comments welcome!

7. It really does bother me... seriously, I have difficulty in making out the random letter phrase, and being tone deaf the audio option is as much use tits on tarzan. If you have implemented the white list... please add me!

I'm not saying mag to grid it - maybe keep it for new accounts. But for thread posts?

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Cock. Are we saying that there is one of those random letter generation code thingys on here now? I have to admit to not coming across it yet if that's the case. I do struggle with them though I can't make the characters out most of the time and end up with multiple attempts with multiple codes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GCO, tiny is far from being alone. I have tried implementing captchas on message forms and many of the mangled images they come up with even defeat me. I know that a few forum owners have switched to 'random question' techniques. They seem to be just as effective and don't piss off the real punters (as much).

10. Off-the-head, it takes me five attempts to get one right... the next time I get one here (tomorrow morning, after j.smith1981 has emailed me some more bum love) I'll post it.

11. I'm getting it every time I click on the site now and have been for the last 5 days. I'm pretty certain I'm not a robot and the 'Click on all shop fronts', 'click on all pasta dishes' crap is getting a tad tiresome.

12. Sorry just trying out my new MOD tool kit. I thought you were offline, try again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. @Offendi is going to hate you. He would have played that for all it was worth.

14. Offendi

Offendi On ROPs

bird.png

15. I keep getting this when I post.

upload_2016-6-3_0-22-22.png

Apparently it's not a reCaptcha. It's a response from ACAB on a Friday evening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1