Rebuilding Trust in Parliament

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CaptainPlume, Jul 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just loved this…

Parliament needs to be more diverse

Well naturally. White middle-aged, middle-class, able bodied men are all fraudsters. We’re probably part of the forces of conservatism too.

Because of course none of these groups can even think of doing anything iffy…
  2. This country is so corrupt that virtually all right thinking people have long since lost faith in the parliamentary system.
  3. Maybe they should set up a quango to oversee it and get ashie to head it up :p
  4. Look at some of the main offenders? I'm sure, despite appearances to the contrary, that they were female. No doubt some feminist 'wimminz' movement will try to use this to force their 'rights' on.
  5. You really couldn't make this up:

So, in spite of the fact that politicians have been thoroughly fückin' the populace over since the inception of parliament, they, in their faraway little world, believe all they have to do is add a few biddies, Asians etc to their little bunch of slimy, corrupt, greedy, skiving shysters and all will be well?

I don't think so!

6. Well they've managed to turn the country into a banana republic, may as well go the whole hog.

7. I think you'll find that women MPs and Asian MPs are well represented in the expenses and troughing stakes.

Diversity in Action.
  8. Here's a revolutionary idea. 100% of candidates should be honest!

We should have a new criminal offence, in addition to misconduct in public office, let's have dishonesty as a member of parliament which covers everything from lying to false expenses to corruption and make it a minimum mandatory 5 year term.
  9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, even if 32% of the 50% women MPs are complete cretins, we should still have 50% or more, just to make the numbers look good. It's not a case of asking the public to vote for the person (male or female) they think will do the best job of representing them, we need to queer (oops) the pitch by presenting women-only shortlists to the voters, so they HAVE to vote for a woman, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of such a thing.

For those where we can find no women who want the job, we should the voters to pick between black and/or disabled people too. This is not about ability or representative democracy, we need to enforce diversity so that the voter gets the best value from their democracy.

This country needs minority government to make things fair. The majority have had their way far too long, and it's done nothing for the country. Let's get the smallest minorities we can find, and give them a crack at the whip, after all, having no arms, or being blind, or having a penchant for going to Mardi Gras festivals or Wimmin's Lib meetings is an excellent qualification for the corridoors of power.
  10. Used-car salespersons, estate agents, politicians. I don't reckon you could slide a spliff-skin between 'em.

11. We alrady have a physically disabled PM (Who is also mentally deranged) and look at the mess he's made of things the uselss cnut. The most powerful man in the country (Mandleson) is a shirt lifter and look how corrupt he is. Keith Vaz and a fair few other minority MP's seem to be at the forefront of the trough themselves. And as for some of the females in government, dishonest and incompetent to a man!

We need ex soldiers in Parliament, better still lets have serving soldiers in the commons, preferably rounding the corrupt b*stards up!

We need a coup.
  12. Sounds good to me.
  13. I never lost faith in Parliament, don't imagine I ever will. It's a lovely building, still structurally sound after all these years.

On a serious note, I doubt the public will ever recover their faith in our Parliamentarians and that's actually no bad thing, IMO. They get to pass laws that govern our lives and we should never, ever trust someone in that position. We should be looking over their shoulders every single step of the way or we get what we have now - a bunch of self-serving hypocrites who put themselves above the rest of us.

A massive dose of public mistrust, abject contempt and a cheeky wee general election may at least remind that particular caste of exactly who serves who.
  14. Dream on. Politics and honesty are oxymorons!
    But I like your idea for a new criminal offence, we could use it in the states too! Of course, there'd be no one left - guess we could outsource! Cheaper and better workers, as we are always told!
  15. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

If only......
    we had MPs who were honest and elected because they were concerned about the welfare of their constituents rather than the party (all a bunch of Communists whatever their flavour). I might then respect them regardless of race, creed, colour or gender.