rebuilding electric motors

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Grumblegrunt, Apr 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

linked in to the washer fault but thought it might get more of a look seperately - I'm wondering if the thermal overload cut out has gone on the washer motor.

as far as I can tell I'm testing it right and getting no reading. so I can drill the rivets out and stick a replacement it there but does anyone have any tips or lookouts on electric motor rebuilding

I am assuming the drilled out rivet/bolts can be replaced with standard ones which lets me get at the bearings as well.
  2. What do you mean by rebuild?

Coil rewind, bearings or just brushes!!
  3. Grumblegrunt

the thermal overload cut out appears to have gone due to a worn sparky brush so I want to take it apart and replace the toc which appears to be the fuse type rather than a trip one.

I wouldn't bother rewinding such a common thing not but 20 years ago maybe - ebay has a lot to answer for, bearings I will do if they are worn and brushes are external.

I understand that I could bypass it all together with new brushes but would have a potential fire risk if it got that way again.

its riveted probably to save money and claim they are a non servicable part so I am assuming I can bolt it back together like I would any other motor

quite enjoying the research as there's a lot you can do with a washer motor - a friends dad turned a washer motor into a table saw and some yanks use them as generators attatched to lawnmower engines.
  4. Grumblegrunt

well drilled out the rivets, split the case, found the offending 50p part, tested it properly and ordered a new one :)

I wish I'd found that first but it was only a very small web reference that had me looking.
  5. Best of luck with that, but doesn't the fact that it has popped suggest that there's something overheating it?
  6. Grumblegrunt

^google was my friend in this. 8 year old brushes with one more worn than the other which creates heat. I'd noticed last year that you could see the blue arcing when it was on a spin and the lights were off. it also blew the socket ring when it went on a final high speed spin where it was going at 1500 rpm. so new brishes first ay 7 quid then 8 quid for the toc and 2 quid for some bolts. wire wool the commutator thingy to clean it and away we go. hopefully. it was definately blown though. bearings were still good and nice and chunky - twice the size of the replacements for newer motors going by the spares sites, the ones in there are not far off the ones I use on the bike.

interestingly the motor says 1200 rpm on it.
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Anybody who can answer this may be interested in a 1929 Wico mag I need rewinding. I can send it to the USA to be done but I try not to deal with terrorists who defy their rightful king. Cash waiting but try not to take my eyes out.
  8. Top man. I did the same many years ago (except I dangerously just removed the failed thermal cutout and bypassed it!!). Still it worked.
  9. Grumblegrunt

I dont know anywhere around me now but in york I found a place to rewind an oric motor for my mum which cost me about 25 quid back then. anything can be rewound I gather but folks don't bother because they don't realise it's possible.

Wico Magneto Parts

Electric Motor Repairs, armatures, London, Rewinds, Robson and Francis
  10. Grumblegrunt

well now its running and I know where everything is I reckon I can do any more without taking it apart, mind you it was handy to check the motor bearings.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Pictures. Or it never happened.

Thanks for the link. Lets see if they can sort it.

12. Get hold of an "Old Bike Mart" There were usually several people doing mag/ dynamo rewinds. Or used to be.