Rebro of a Wifi signal?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Jerrycan2793, Oct 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is possible to rebroadcast a wifi signal? Someone nearby to me has unsecured internet which I can access in my kitchen, but not my living room or bedroom. As it is not secure I have the implied right of access to the Internet access as its in my property etc... is there anyway I can rebro the signal so that I can access it in other parts of the house?

2. Yes, it is possible to rebroadcast a wifi signal, many wireless routers have a 'bridge' function, however:

WRONG: The Communications Act 2003 says a "person who (a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and (b) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service, is guilty of an offence".

See here: BBC NEWS | Magazine | Is stealing wireless wrong?

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It's possible but as Heshvan has said, what you want to do is illegal.

4. It is illegal, but actually not that difficult: How to build a tin can waveguide antenna

Some dudes in Venezuela extended the range of a wifi signal by about 200Km. WiFi

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You can buy something in Dixons to do it, that doesn't mean you should. ;-)

6. Didnt realise it was illiegal

7. bloke was prosocuted for it about 3 years ago, mind you talk about kicking the arse out of it he was sitting on the garden wall of the house!

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I can understand why someone would think it's no big deal to piggy back on someones unencrypted wifi, lazy ****** should have passworded it, it's not hard after all. But broadband is so cheap these days there is no excuse for not having your own. And if anyone decides to login to their router, just out of interest then it will display all users Mac address at the click of a button, then you are caught, along with logs you could be in serious trouble.

It's easy to do but not worth the cost if you get caught in my opinion.

9. Easy to do mac address spoofing.