Rebels hold Central African Republic town

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by fantassin, Nov 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not the first time it happens, the last round in 2006-2007 saw France intervene with CAS missions and a couple of HALO drops to reinforce a French training team isolated in the city of Birao...

Rebels kill four, hold Central African Republic town

(AFP) – 3 hours ago

BANGUI, Central African Republic — Rebels killed four soldiers and captured an unknown number of troops in an attack on Birao, the main town of northern Central Africa Republic, the military said on Thursday.

Rebels belonging to the Convention of Patriots for Justice and Peace were still in control of the key town after forcing government troops to withdraw, a military commander told AFP.

"The rebels killed four of our soldiers and wounded some other," he said, declining to be named.

"A certain number of our men were also taken prisoner but we have no exact figures on that."
    He said reinforcements were on the way to the area and a counter-attack was planned.

Birao is a garrison town near the borders with Chad and Sudan in an area where attacks by rebel groups occur with regularity.

More at:

AFP: Rebels kill four, hold Central African Republic town
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Why do the Fr (or anyone) bother with such countries? Does it matter if the people eat each other?

PS my knowledge based on reading Beau Geste when I was at school.
  3. sorry i was concerned, I thought you meant johannesburg, meaningless town in middle of nowwhere, leave it to the french
  4. "Fighting in some random African town shocker: full details on page 94"...
  5. Are the French there due to the strategic location or is there anything else of importance there for the Fr to be there, or they training local troops?

Just curious apart from anything else...
  6. Apparently the women look good after too many frogs legs and calvados, always good reason for a punch up
  7. It's the white man's burden.....damned if you do, damned if you don't

If France does nothing, it will be condemned by some for not assisting one of its former colonies....if it does, it will be condemned for its neo-colonialist intervention, on the very same year African nations celebrate their 50th anniversary of the end of French colonial rule....

Because it is so far from the sea and landlocked, the CAR can't export at a decent price its natural resources. Its wildlife, once plentiful, has been reduced to almost nothing by AK carrying poachers and by simple villagers that have nothing else to eat than "bush meat".

Bangui, the capital, used to be nice...long ago....

France has a small military contingent over there, at the request of the legal CAR Gvt but apart from an international airport in the capital, the CAR really has very little to offer....and France does not really need it since it has a strong permanent base in Chad, about 800 km up North from Bangui.
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Having lost their empire in the mid-20th Century, the French needed to compensate and decided that all the French-speaking lands ought to become a commonwealth, le Francophonie.

It means they still like to think they are best buddies with their former empire (and I get the impression there is a lot of lucrative mining to be had in central Africa) and have somewhere to keep their foreign troops sharp so that they don't have to spill French blood on foreign soil.

Who cares?
  9. I'd be interested if you could name ONE thing of importance France is getting out of the CAR. Seriously.

The Central African Republic is one of the poorest countries in the world and among the ten poorest countries in Africa. The Human Development Index for the Central African Republic is 0.369, which gives the country a rank of 179 out of 182 countries with data.
    The CAR's largest import partner is South Korea (20.2%), followed by France (13.6%) and Cameroon (7.7%), while its largest export partner is Japan (40.4%), followed by Belgium (9.8%) and China (8.2%).

Central African Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the Francophonie, membership is purely on a volunteer basis.

So nice attempt, but still far off the mark.
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I did suggest that "France likes to think ..." Does this make France an Imperialist Walt nation?
  11. Oil finds in both Chad and the Sudan, often quite close to the CAR border could point to further deposits in the area. As good a reason for a punch up as any....