Rebellious Scots

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by annakey, Dec 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the ARSSE view on this? GSTQ in full:

It's all a bit of a mess. Technically, none of the constituent countries of the union have their own anthem (England doesn't even pretend to have one). But, not surprisingly, the Jocks object to GSTQ verse 6. and counter-attack with this:

While the Welsh belt out this:

The less said about NI the better. What's to be done? Leave well alone?

2. Just to add, it strikes me that the unofficial Welsh anthem could be beefed up a bit.

Partial? I'm "partial" to nice bit of fish on a Friday. The Taffs should be encouraged to show more enthusiasm.

:roll:

3. Leave them as they are and have the government concentrate instead on less pressing issues like two simultaneous wars, rampant crime, economic meltdown and the demise of elective democracy.

Sarcasm mode off. Och aye.

4. No problems here - leave them as they are.

The scots can dream of independence, the welsh can be as partial as they please, and the english can carry on crushing the rebellious scotsmen.

All is right. :D

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Or the English could choose 'Jerusalem' or 'Land of Hope and Glory' or whatever they feel happiest with. Everyone has their own anthem, UK has one for UK events/occasions. Job's a good 'un.

6. The anthem doesn't suggest that all Scots are rebellious and need to be crushed. It says that northern Jacobite clannish murdering scum should be crushed - and most Scots (myself included) were, and are, all for that.

Leave it as it is. Lowland Scots should belt it out quite happily. They, after all, did most of the crushing.

7. That strikes me as a compelling argument. But should anyone wish to assist Lord Goldsmith by providing an alternative GSTQ verse 6. it's your patriotic duty to do so. I have a modest example to hand...

8. Another Jocks/Mash thread? How repetitive. Can we not have one about 'Walt Jocks', just so as to combine two exceptionally bland and repetitive subjects into one thread. Whilst we are at it, how about adding some 'RIP mates' and a bandwagon full of poets and fat wimmin, just to give it that extra bit of...blandness. And to top it off, let's have some repetitive old sh*te about 'Liarbour' (AKA Neu Arbeit....for the more cosmopolitan amongst us) and how about a few ditty's about how Army accommodation has only become sh*te since they came into power, because we were living in palaces when the Tories were in. F*ck it, let's go the whole hog and just spoil ourselves eh? Tales of woe about JPA.

9. Muslims, Biscuits. You've left out Muslims from yer rant list.

10. and Starting Training March what ...........................?

11. Yep, them as well. How remiss of me.

12. Can I just take the opportunity to ask: What do you really think of SA80A2?

13. I say ‘yes’ to all of that, on condition everyone here:

(a) responds with maximum outrage; and
    (b) criticises Polish plumbers.

But there's a serious underlying point (imo). The government is tying itself in knots trying to decide what "British" or, harder still, what "English" is. They have to decide because if you're asking people to "integrate" - particularly young Muslims who've looked up "Osama" on the internet - it's reasonable for those being asked to respond "Integrate into what?"

The problem is that while the Germans, French, Italians, Spanish, Irish, Yanks, etc each have strong and recognisable national cultures, often backed by written constitutions, bills of rights, and ditties recited by school children before classes, the poor old Brits (and particularly the English) are in a right old mess. In fact, the strongest British/English national characteristic is to respond to most circumstances with:

"Let's have a nice cup of tea!"

My understanding is that Lord Goldsmith has been given the job of embedding "Let's have a nice cup of tea!" culture into the very fabric of the nation, and his attack on GSTQ is part of that project. LOL

14. Incidentally, what do Channel Islanders sing? And haven't the Cornish started giving voice?

15. does it even matter??? when are all six verses ever sung anyway?!