Rebellious Scots

God Save the Queen is insufficiently inclusive and needs to be rewritten, the lawyer leading Labour's review of Britishness said.

Lord Goldsmith, the former Attorney General, said there was "some problem" with the national anthem.

He suggested replacing little-known verses such as that which calls for "rebellious Scots" to be crushed.

Daily Hate
What's the ARSSE view on this? GSTQ in full:

1. God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

4. Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over.

5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!
It's all a bit of a mess. Technically, none of the constituent countries of the union have their own anthem (England doesn't even pretend to have one). But, not surprisingly, the Jocks object to GSTQ verse 6. and counter-attack with this:

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

The Hills are bare now,
And Autumn leaves
lie thick and still,
O'er land that is lost now,
Which those so dearly held,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

Those days are past now,
And in the past
they must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,
That stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.

0 Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
Tae think again.
While the Welsh belt out this:

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed.

Cytgan:
Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

Translation:

Land Of My Fathers

The old land of my fathers is dear to me,
A land of poets and singers, famous people of renown
Its brave warriors, great patriots,
For freedom they lost their blood

Chorus
Country, country, I'm partial to my country,
While the sea is a wall for the pure, dear country,
O may the "old language" continue

Old mountainous Wales, paradise of the poet,
Every valley, every cliff is beautiful in my sight;
Through patriotic feeling, more enchanting is the murmur
Of her streams and rivers to me.

If the enemy violated my country underfoot,
The "old language" of the Welsh is alive as ever,
The spirit wasn't hindered by the awful, treacherous hand
Nor the sweet harp of my country.
The less said about NI the better. What's to be done? Leave well alone?

Just to add, it strikes me that the unofficial Welsh anthem could be beefed up a bit.

Country, country, I'm partial to my country
Partial? I'm "partial" to nice bit of fish on a Friday. The Taffs should be encouraged to show more enthusiasm.

:roll:

Leave them as they are and have the government concentrate instead on less pressing issues like two simultaneous wars, rampant crime, economic meltdown and the demise of elective democracy.

Sarcasm mode off. Och aye.

No problems here - leave them as they are.

The scots can dream of independence, the welsh can be as partial as they please, and the english can carry on crushing the rebellious scotsmen.

All is right. :D

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Or the English could choose 'Jerusalem' or 'Land of Hope and Glory' or whatever they feel happiest with. Everyone has their own anthem, UK has one for UK events/occasions. Job's a good 'un.

The anthem doesn't suggest that all Scots are rebellious and need to be crushed. It says that northern Jacobite clannish murdering scum should be crushed - and most Scots (myself included) were, and are, all for that.

Leave it as it is. Lowland Scots should belt it out quite happily. They, after all, did most of the crushing.

smartascarrots said:
Leave them as they are and have the government concentrate instead on less pressing issues like two simultaneous wars, rampant crime, economic meltdown and the demise of elective democracy.

Sarcasm mode off. Och aye.
That strikes me as a compelling argument. But should anyone wish to assist Lord Goldsmith by providing an alternative GSTQ verse 6. it's your patriotic duty to do so. I have a modest example to hand...

Lord grant that Jacquie Smith
Showeth us some grit and pith
ID cards bring.
May she binge drinkers hush,
And with an ASBO rush,
Knife wielding chavs to crush.
God save the Queen!

B

Biscuits_AB

Another Jocks/Mash thread? How repetitive. Can we not have one about 'Walt Jocks', just so as to combine two exceptionally bland and repetitive subjects into one thread. Whilst we are at it, how about adding some 'RIP mates' and a bandwagon full of poets and fat wimmin, just to give it that extra bit of...blandness. And to top it off, let's have some repetitive old sh*te about 'Liarbour' (AKA Neu Arbeit....for the more cosmopolitan amongst us) and how about a few ditty's about how Army accommodation has only become sh*te since they came into power, because we were living in palaces when the Tories were in. F*ck it, let's go the whole hog and just spoil ourselves eh? Tales of woe about JPA.

and Starting Training March what ...........................?

Can I just take the opportunity to ask: What do you really think of SA80A2?

Biscuits_AB said:
Another Jocks/Mash thread? How repetitive. Can we not have one about 'Walt Jocks', just so as to combine two exceptionally bland and repetitive subjects into one thread. Whilst we are at it, how about adding some 'RIP mates' and a bandwagon full of poets and fat wimmin, just to give it that extra bit of...blandness. And to top it off, let's have some repetitive old sh*te about 'Liarbour' (AKA Neu Arbeit....for the more cosmopolitan amongst us) and how about a few ditty's about how Army accommodation has only become sh*te since they came into power, because it was like living in a palace when the Tories were in. F*ck it, let's go the whole hog and just spoil ourselves eh? Tales of woe about JPA.
I say ‘yes’ to all of that, on condition everyone here:

(a) responds with maximum outrage; and
(b) criticises Polish plumbers.

But there's a serious underlying point (imo). The government is tying itself in knots trying to decide what "British" or, harder still, what "English" is. They have to decide because if you're asking people to "integrate" - particularly young Muslims who've looked up "Osama" on the internet - it's reasonable for those being asked to respond "Integrate into what?"

The problem is that while the Germans, French, Italians, Spanish, Irish, Yanks, etc each have strong and recognisable national cultures, often backed by written constitutions, bills of rights, and ditties recited by school children before classes, the poor old Brits (and particularly the English) are in a right old mess. In fact, the strongest British/English national characteristic is to respond to most circumstances with:

"Let's have a nice cup of tea!"

My understanding is that Lord Goldsmith has been given the job of embedding "Let's have a nice cup of tea!" culture into the very fabric of the nation, and his attack on GSTQ is part of that project. LOL

does it even matter??? when are all six verses ever sung anyway?!

B

Biscuits_AB

I think that I'm close to giving up the will to f*cking live. Anybody want to throw in a few RIP mate's when I go. A poem would be nice. One about an SA80 GTI 24v 'Jeremy Clarkson' PAYD,What's the cheapest way to get from Germany to UK ....that would be walking you c*nt.

smartascarrots said:
Can I just take the opportunity to ask: What do you really think of SA80A2?
Before that Biccers AB, what did you think of the SLR? I loved it myself :)