Reasons to be cheerful - A new Flashman book!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by PartTimePongo, Mar 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.spectator.co.uk/

Registration required 2 page article.

What makes a hero?
    Harry Mount

Excellent :D

2. This is a piece of good news; Flashy should be treated as a model of excellence at RMAS!

CH

3. Superb :D does anyone know when it is released?

4. 2nd April

5. Can't wait; I will dose myself with sleeping pills so I next wake up on the sacred date!

6. Gee thanks. Released the day after I go back to the Magic Kingdom from leave..... Have to content myself with another reading of Patrick O'Brian, then.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

YOu could pre-order through AMazon

8. Without wishing to urinate on anyone's Rice Krispies, I've read a proof copy and it isn't that great. My own opinion is that the series has lost some of it's edge in the last fifteen or twenty years: the last real cracker was 'Flashman and the Redskins', and this one feels a little like GMF was just going through the motions.

Sorry :(

9. 'Damn your eyes sir, and your impudence!' :D (as the great Flashy would doubtless himself say...)

10. Without reading it I can t comment on this one, but I have to agree with CP as to the quality going down. The last one was so bad I lst interest about half way.

Sharpe has gone the same way, churned out with ever more implausable connections.

11. An excellent read! The description of Napier's force marching on Magdala with the band playing "British Grenadiers" gets the blood going! The mad King Theodore is vividly described and Flashman's presence is convincingly eased into the history of the Abyssinian campaign.

I don't think there is a bad book in the series although Flashman and the Tiger was admittedly below par and not quite what I thought it would be - perhaps a less-than-successful experiment in merging fiction with fiction rather than with fact.

However, nothing can live up to Flashman at the Charge with Flashy painting the (incognito) Prince Whomever's arrse black, later to find himself farting his way in terror across the Balaklava battlefield!

Sharpe is of rather poor quality nowadays although the author Bernard Cornwell has produced some outstanding works in his Arthurian trilogy and his latest offering based on the Viking invasions works extremely well. I think his best is offered in a first person rather than a third person narrative.

Has anyone read the fish-head books that are inspired by or copied from Flashman? Also, for a good historical read, try Boris Akunin's Winter Queen, Leviathan and Turkish Gambit.

12. Hear,hear, just finished it and couldnt agree more with the above, its a shame GMF doesnt write about Flashy's exploits in the amercian civil war, he keeps giving us little references to them.

13. I've only just seen this thread otherwise I would have commented before. I read this book as soon as it came out (within 48 hours) and really enjoyed it. Worth a read over any number of other authors.

I agree with the earlier comment, Flashman and the Tiger is weaker than the rest of the series. Even so, it ain't too bad. I thought the weakness lay more with trying to fit several episodes into one book rather than GMF's more elaborate earlier works. I might change my mind upon re-reading it as I have started on the series again from book 1.

I'm amazed that so many people on ARRSE are keen on Flashy. No-one else in my unit knows what these books are. One bloke even asked me when he saw I was reading a book called Flashman: "Oh, Flashman, what are his superhero powers then?" :roll: :roll:

14. Just bought the book, then accidently left it on the sodding train before I'd started it. :x
    If anyone found it, can you pass it on!

15. Which train firm was it?