Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons for wanting to become an Army officer

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The only reason to be an Army Officer is so you can wear tweed after you retire.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Anyone mentioned Stepping Stone to Parliament? ;)

It seems that the reasons for wanting to be an officer have changed over time, in the past I think social class had the most to do with it as you could purchase a commission.

Personally, I think I would have made a brilliant First World War staff officer. I look quite good in a uniform, I can grow a moustache, I'm generally quite incompetent and I much prefer leisure to doing any actual work. Occasionally I'm also over-confident and speak with an air of authority about things I know F/A about.

I'd also be quite prepared to sacrifice the lives of the rougher, working-class men for the sake of my own advancement.

I always wanted to be the bursar of a big girl’s school

that’s big girls not a big school!
855e40614e6ad539a9240dd156d282b6.jpg

Crack on then mate.

Donny

ADC
I always wanted to be the bursar of a big girl’s school

that’s big girls not a big school!
At the risk of excessive pedantry what you’ve written actually refers to the school of a big girl (singular), rather than of big girls (plural). If you’d placed the apostrophe just one letter to the right you might have been able to indulge your fantasies. :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mid eighties we had an occifer-cadet who answered the question with "So I can sit in the landrover when it's raining". As far as I know he continued working in McDonalds or somewhere similar.

If only more people paid attention to that.
It always make me worry when people say that. How much of a problem with people behaving like a dick do you have to have for that to need stating explicitly?

Chef

LE
The spread of ex-forces over the parties is telling:

'Forty-one represent the Conservative Party, while two are Labour members.' Plus the DUP has two members who've served in the UDR.
I think a lot of us on here wondered why Labour didn't make more of Dan Jarvis?
He now seems to have been sidelined into Mayor of Sheffield.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think a lot of us on here wondered why Labour didn't make more of Dan Jarvis?
He now seems to have been sidelined into Mayor of Sheffield.
He was distinctly a fish out of water as far as the Leader's Office and the NEC were concerned. A number of senior Party apparatchiks couldn't even bring themselves to speak to him. He was fine with the Parliamentary party, most MPs, with a few exceptions, are sensible, moderate folk, the Party hierarchy, maybe not so much.....

Bad enough being an ex-Para officer, imagine if he'd been Jewish as well.

Latest Threads