Rear sight on SLR?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by old_bloke, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Left SLR has a strange sight . I remember seeing something similar on a Rhodesian R1 but what is it :? Also the two tracer on the butt.

Ally 30 rd LMG mag :D

[​IMG]

Is it a post for a SUSAT

2. Looks like a mounting bracket to the IWS.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cpl Ripper is correct its the IWS mount!

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Also notice the guy on the right has a Bren Mag.

5. ...and the webbing that consists of nothing but ammo and water bottle pouches - this fella's well ally! :D
    Unfortunately, the LMG mags didn't work too well unless you put two mag springs in; then you only ended up with a 22 or 23 rd mag. :(
    Looks like a recce pl range day.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The picture was taken I believe during the Falklands fighting but is taken not in battle but on an improvised zeroing range.

7. LMG mags worked ok if you played about with the springs, used to clip bits off untill you got the tension right and could usually get 28 Rds in a mag.

8. If you just stretched the spring it worked OK.

9. Interesting. I never got one to work reliably enough.

10. Agreed Sticky, they looked good, but that was about it.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Canadian and Aussie straight 30 round mags worked fine, a leaf spring was used rather than a coil type.

12. Hmm, well he would have had some comments from me (and possible a boot in the nads..)about shooting with a right hand glove... :roll:

LMG mags ok for blank, but not for ball IMHO...

13. The guy with the IWS topslide also looks to have 2x 7.62mm rounds attached to the butt of his elephant gun.

14. No slings, Field cap, water bottle pouches instead of kidney pouches. If it wasn't for the puttees it could have been me in 1987!

15. Probably 2 tracer rds.