Really wanting to join the army

I’m 26 with two kids I have been wanting to join the army for along time but I’m not sure whether I should just jump in and do it or not

and your point or question is?

Don't expect us to make your mind up for you.

Do it
or
Don't do it

Simples!

Toe in the water; try the Reserves.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
This is not the NAAFI. If you can't give sound advice, stay away from these threads. My ban hammer awaits the next 'comedian.' No more warnings.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Best bet is to start here:

I’m 26 with two kids I have been wanting to join the army for along time but I’m not sure whether I should just jump in and do it or not
In your situation there are many things you need to consider, top of the list being childcare while you are away.

As others have said, reserves is your obvious choice. Sooner you start, sooner you're in, and sooner you'll know if it's for you or not.

What about the dad? Supportive of the idea?

Toe in the water; try the Reserves.
What he said.

The next question either way is what are you interested in doing? If you go to the AR the question of whether the role you are interested in is available in a unit at a practical distance. Conversely, if you are not that bothered by role who is closest to you?

First and foremost, how badly do you want it? Joining the Army with 2 children will be a huge upheaval for both you and them. Do you have provision for childcare over your training? Especially cognisant of the fact that the first 5 weeks of Ph.1 you'll be confined to camp, and then released only at weekends, even then you'll have weekend work. Ph.2 again will involve weekend work.

If you think you can manage this, then go for it. Make sure you're fit and motivated and give it 100%.

The Reserve is a solid alternative, I was a reservist for many years before joining the Regular Army so don't turn your nose up at it. But if joining up is your ambition, then go for it; and sooner rather than later. Don't go through the whole process of joining the AR for a flavour then joining the regs as this will just mess you about massively, and the elephant in the room is your age, you will be an 'old' Private Soldier in your late 20s.

Give this a watch if you want a flavour of the training, I thought the documentary was actually pretty good.

Army Reserves probably best idea for you now.That will give you an insight into what kind of life the Army can offer. Then you will be free to leave if it’s not for you.
They can probably give you good advice too, there will be serving or ex regulars there that will be able to assist.

Just do it love, you will regret it in years to come if you don't. You might go through some pain in the short term, miss the kids etc. But they'll still be there when you finish your training. And imagine how proud they will be when they come to watch you at your Passing Out Parade.

I would suggest The Royal Signals as a starting point. Can't go wrong there, you will love it.

Good luck, keep us all posted.

Just do it love, you will regret it in years to come if you don't. You might go through some pain in the short term, miss the kids etc. But they'll still be there when you finish your training. And imagine how proud they will be when they come to watch you at your Passing Out Parade.

I would suggest The Royal Signals as a starting point. Can't go wrong there, you will love it.

Good luck, keep us all posted.
Kids who feel abandoned by mum may be less forgiving than you think.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Indeed. Thunderbox has just got himself a nice rest from all of that troublesome typing.
Thank you. I know it's not my area of responsibility, but the 'comics' do us no favours leaping on new posters.

Can't even blame lockdown boredom, they're always at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads