Really Useful Air Crash

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by cessna123, Aug 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought to try this as a thread, a true story.

Once upon a time, many years ago, an RAF transport aircraft crashed. Very sad for the families and friends, but every cloud has a silver lining, as they say!

This particular aircraft was carrying stores and equipment and when it crashed the subsequent fire destroyed everything apart from engines and hard metal parts.

On the day of the crash there was feverish activity on the part of RAF storemen from several units, all of whom claimed to have items on board which would have to be written off.

These items, of course were non existent and were things that had disappeared, been stolen or otherwise could not be accounted for in any forthcoming audit.

When the board of enquiry took place it was discovered that the aircraft which had an empty weight of 41,689 lb (18.6 tons) and a maximum loaded weight of 75,000 lb (33.5 tons) was being stated as having a take off weight of no less than 278,000 lb (124 tons).

The shit really hit the fan that day!!

There must other tales such as this!
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Atlantic Conveyor
    When it sank it was 3 miles wide and 7 miles long judging by the amount of kit it was supposed to be carrying

Fire at Donington anytime anything happens stakers always balance the books
  3. They're not still using "Fire at Donnington" are they? Remember that from the 1980s.
  4. Wasn't the Atlantic Conveyor roughly the same size as Madagascar?

No wonder the Exocet ignored the carriers and went after her, considering the size of her.
  5. in his book Chickenhawk Robert Mason tells of a supply Huey that was lost over the jungle. The supply dept claims for lost gear added up to 4 tons over maximum take off weight as I remember it.
  6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi Q, can I please have a mess tin, "response FOFAD" Fcuk off fire at Donnington was the cry
  7. I remember that but you beat me too it. Good book too
  8. Me too, superb book, still got a copy:

'Am I a chicken or a hawk?' 'You're a chickenhawk'......classic
  9. Lynx crashed in Germany back in the mid 90's. By all accounts it had 20 sets of NVG, 6 camcorders, a B&O sound system and the entire funds from the aircrew rations on board... The Canondale bike was taking the piss a bit though
  10. You may be thinking of Puma XW205. The list of kit that was "claimed" to be on board would have been hard pushed to get in a Herc never mind a Puma. I think the crunch came when someone claimed a dog-sled was on board and a grown-up said " Hang on a f******g minute - someones taking the pish (or words to that effect)". The crash came at a time when there was a lot of kit going missing at the home base although the culprit was never linked to the mass of kit offered up for write-off.
  11. Nope, definitely a Lynx. Firstly, I was involved with the crash and secondly it was one of my camcorders 'on board' ;)
  12. When my daysack was 'lost in an explosion' it had the entire contents of Curry's in it, most of Silverman's and a rather nifty NVG monocular. All up weight was similar to a loggy storeman. Cheers easy.
  13. Early 80's I was in an RE Combat Support Boat in the Solent following another CSB into Portsmouth. Cut a long story short, the one in front capsized and dumped passengers & kit into the water (plus a TVS cameraman!).

The CSB was carrying some divers who were taking their kit back to Marchwood to start their advanced course proper. The guys were told to write a list of stuff they had lost....priceless!! The SMI got them together and said the CSB must have been towing a frigging trailer when it went over. Almost everyone had a camcorder in their kit!!
  14. On exercise in Scotland in the 80's, we heard the QM's 4 tonner had gone up in ball flame, probably an urban myth, but i'm sure someone tried to claim for a landy, thats gotta be bollocks?
  15. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

We had an accident in Cyprus on some boats when we had to discard our webbing and swim for shore.

Amazing how many of us had Zeiss binos, Nikon cameras and all other kinds of personally purchased Gucci kit.

Got nice cheques for it all, thank you.