really slow broadband help!!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by rogermellie, Feb 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Arrsers,
    A question for those who are more up to speed with all things adsl.
    Ok problem is between 6am and 3 pm average connection speed is around 2.8mbps after 3 pm goes downhill to around .3mbps.
    Got onto the phone of my isp ( virginmedia , yeah i know don't laugh!) and they started to blame bt ( no surprise there then).
    I am just about ready to leave them but would i still get a crappy service from another isp. Just to add my line can handle 3mb and i am on an ip stream rather then LLU( does that sound right?)
    Anways your thoughts would be much appreciated and also another isp you could suggest? I was thinking of going with sky as i have their sky package etc.

Kind regards

RM

2. Quick snd important question to help, why did Virgin blame BT exactly?

3. Don't BT still own the last short stretch of cable into your property?

4. Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    Basically they were saying that there is a fault on the line. This reply is/was typical of virgin, i forgot to add this has been going on for months.
    BT have been out at least 3 times and on their 3rd visit rplaced the line from socket to the telegraph pole. i suspect but i,m no expert but virgin haven't taken advantage of the unbundling at the exchange.
    When i was on the phone to technical support ( use that term lightly) the guy on the end of the phone said " probably the best thing to do is ask for your mac code and try someone else " !!!

regards,

RM

5. Im with Virgin, they are shite. They are slow during peak times.

Move to Sky, do it, best service I ever had that was.

We moved house and took our Virgin service with us, they forced us inot another 12 month contract, and changed out phone number which we have asked to bechanged back 5 bloody times.

Who do you complaint to about this bag of shite company?

6. Hi

The people to get in touch with is ofcom, if enough people complain virgin will be forced into doing something about it .

linky

kind regards,

RM

7. He would have got himself into a hefty amount of shite telling you that, for the simple reason he is right. Get the MAC and feck off over to Sky. However, long story short, don't get Sky's phone service, keep BT.

8. Hi again,

I thought that too so when i phoned up customer services i made a point of telling them what their techincal dept had said :D
    They have got 3 days to sort it at which point if its not sorted ( which it won't be) i shall phone up and demand my mac and give sky a go ( just hope they are not shiite either).
    I would imagine virgin are losing customers left right and centre on their non cable services..............fooking good and i will be one of them soon

Kind regards

RM

Edited to add whats wrong with their phone service , was going to take that as well!

9. 2.8megs.. I can only dream of such outrageous speed!

10. Virgin is only good for their cable service, and even then it can be sketchy.

As I said, it's a long story as to the phone service, but to put it simply - there has been some issues here and there, and especially a chunk relating to ceasing contract with them (turns into a right shitstorm between you, sky and bt having a barney over exchange hardware etc - sky have their own gear now - hence why they are doing those lovely packages to bait people on).

11. Just did a speed test god its blinding ..........not

[​IMG]

RM

12. [/quote]Virgin is only good for their cable service, and even then it can be sketchy.

As I said, it's a long story as to the phone service, but to put it simply - there has been some issues here and there, and especially a chunk relating to ceasing contract with them (turns into a right shitstorm between you, sky and bt having a barney over exchange hardware etc - sky have their own gear now - hence why they are doing those lovely packages to bait people on).[/quote]

Cheers for that GP, i will only take the broadband and leave it at that.
    My calls go through virgin so i will shove them back with BT for now

RM

13. I was with Virgin (non-cable) about a year or so ago and they were crap then, peak time speeds were an absolute joke. I have no problem with the connection suffering a little over peak times but it often became almost unuseable even for simple web browsing.

I would of gone to Sky but my exchange isn't LLU so it would cost me more for less of a service than my current ISP (Freedom2Surf).

If my exchange ever gets LLU I will probably move to Sky to keep it all in one package.

14. so funny to read this post then you get to the bottom and see an advert for virgin media, i have 50 mb cable broadband and really can not complain it really is good considering that they can not cap it so have been acheving over 70mb on some days

15. It was funny until some smug cnut posted they get 50 mb cable broadband. :lol:

And it's a real bastard they can't cap it. :)