really slow broadband help!!

R

rogermellie

Evening Arrsers,
A question for those who are more up to speed with all things adsl.
Ok problem is between 6am and 3 pm average connection speed is around 2.8mbps after 3 pm goes downhill to around .3mbps.
Got onto the phone of my isp ( virginmedia , yeah i know don't laugh!) and they started to blame bt ( no surprise there then).
I am just about ready to leave them but would i still get a crappy service from another isp. Just to add my line can handle 3mb and i am on an ip stream rather then LLU( does that sound right?)
Anways your thoughts would be much appreciated and also another isp you could suggest? I was thinking of going with sky as i have their sky package etc.

Kind regards

RM

rogermellie said:
Evening Arrsers,
A question for those who are more up to speed with all things adsl.
Ok problem is between 6am and 3 pm average connection speed is around 2.8mbps after 3 pm goes downhill to around .3mbps.
Got onto the phone of my isp ( virginmedia , yeah i know don't laugh!) and they started to blame bt ( no surprise there then).
I am just about ready to leave them but would i still get a crappy service from another isp. Just to add my line can handle 3mb and i am on an ip stream rather then LLU( does that sound right?)
Anways your thoughts would be much appreciated and also another isp you could suggest? I was thinking of going with sky as i have their sky package etc.

Kind regards

RM
Quick snd important question to help, why did Virgin blame BT exactly?

R

rogermellie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Basically they were saying that there is a fault on the line. This reply is/was typical of virgin, i forgot to add this has been going on for months.
BT have been out at least 3 times and on their 3rd visit rplaced the line from socket to the telegraph pole. i suspect but i,m no expert but virgin haven't taken advantage of the unbundling at the exchange.
When i was on the phone to technical support ( use that term lightly) the guy on the end of the phone said " probably the best thing to do is ask for your mac code and try someone else " !!!

regards,

RM

Im with Virgin, they are shite. They are slow during peak times.

Move to Sky, do it, best service I ever had that was.

We moved house and took our Virgin service with us, they forced us inot another 12 month contract, and changed out phone number which we have asked to bechanged back 5 bloody times.

Who do you complaint to about this bag of shite company?

R

rogermellie

carlbcfc said:
Im with Virgin, they are shite. They are slow during peak times.

Move to Sky, do it, best service I ever had that was.

We moved house and took our Virgin service with us, they forced us inot another 12 month contract, and changed out phone number which we have asked to bechanged back 5 bloody times.

Who do you complaint to about this bag of shite company?

Hi

The people to get in touch with is ofcom, if enough people complain virgin will be forced into doing something about it .

linky

kind regards,

RM

rogermellie said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Basically they were saying that there is a fault on the line. This reply is/was typical of virgin, i forgot to add this has been going on for months.
BT have been out at least 3 times and on their 3rd visit rplaced the line from socket to the telegraph pole. i suspect but i,m no expert but virgin haven't taken advantage of the unbundling at the exchange.
When i was on the phone to technical support ( use that term lightly) the guy on the end of the phone said " probably the best thing to do is ask for your mac code and try someone else " !!!

regards,

RM
He would have got himself into a hefty amount of shite telling you that, for the simple reason he is right. Get the MAC and feck off over to Sky. However, long story short, don't get Sky's phone service, keep BT.

R

rogermellie

GrizzlyPanda said:
He would have got himself into a hefty amount of shite telling you that, for the simple reason he is right. Get the MAC and feck off over to Sky. However, long story short, don't get Sky's phone service, keep BT.
Hi again,

I thought that too so when i phoned up customer services i made a point of telling them what their techincal dept had said :D
They have got 3 days to sort it at which point if its not sorted ( which it won't be) i shall phone up and demand my mac and give sky a go ( just hope they are not shiite either).
I would imagine virgin are losing customers left right and centre on their non cable services..............fooking good and i will be one of them soon

Kind regards

RM

Edited to add whats wrong with their phone service , was going to take that as well!

rogermellie said:
GrizzlyPanda said:
Hi again,

I thought that too so when i phoned up customer services i made a point of telling them what their techincal dept had said :D
They have got 3 days to sort it at which point if its not sorted ( which it won't be) i shall phone up and demand my mac and give sky a go ( just hope they are not shiite either).
I would imagine virgin are losing customers left right and centre on their non cable services..............fooking good and i will be one of them soon

Kind regards

RM

Edited to add whats wrong with their phone service , was going to take that as well!
Virgin is only good for their cable service, and even then it can be sketchy.

As I said, it's a long story as to the phone service, but to put it simply - there has been some issues here and there, and especially a chunk relating to ceasing contract with them (turns into a right shitstorm between you, sky and bt having a barney over exchange hardware etc - sky have their own gear now - hence why they are doing those lovely packages to bait people on).

R

rogermellie

[/quote]Virgin is only good for their cable service, and even then it can be sketchy.

As I said, it's a long story as to the phone service, but to put it simply - there has been some issues here and there, and especially a chunk relating to ceasing contract with them (turns into a right shitstorm between you, sky and bt having a barney over exchange hardware etc - sky have their own gear now - hence why they are doing those lovely packages to bait people on).[/quote]

Cheers for that GP, i will only take the broadband and leave it at that.
My calls go through virgin so i will shove them back with BT for now

RM

I was with Virgin (non-cable) about a year or so ago and they were crap then, peak time speeds were an absolute joke. I have no problem with the connection suffering a little over peak times but it often became almost unuseable even for simple web browsing.

I would of gone to Sky but my exchange isn't LLU so it would cost me more for less of a service than my current ISP (Freedom2Surf).

If my exchange ever gets LLU I will probably move to Sky to keep it all in one package.

M

mogwaimarshall

so funny to read this post then you get to the bottom and see an advert for virgin media, i have 50 mb cable broadband and really can not complain it really is good considering that they can not cap it so have been acheving over 70mb on some days

mogwaimarshall said:
so funny to read this post then you get to the bottom and see an advert for virgin media, i have 50 mb cable broadband and really can not complain it really is good considering that they can not cap it so have been acheving over 70mb on some days
It was funny until some smug cnut posted they get 50 mb cable broadband. :lol:

And it's a real bastard they can't cap it. :)

You should get as a minimum what you pay for on your contract. Its like anything else if it says 3mb you need 3mb minimum all the time. If they can`t do it they need to start billing for what they do provide ie if its o.6mb offer to pay for 500kbs only. If they cannot sort it out say no problem start asking for lots of details ie who you are talking to, agent/ staff number etc then say you are going to complain to I think its "OFTEL" about virgin. Alternatively there is a guy on this forum offering virgin media mates rates maybe he can sort it for you.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
h a v e .................. y o u ................. t r i e d ............... b r o a d b a n d .................. s p e e d e r .................... u p p e r .......................... p r o g r a m s ................... y e t

?

you will find several factors why the internet could be slow

1, time of the day (it that is the internet gets throttled back or restricted) to allow for business users
2, Virgin and BT do share infrastructure and resources
3, some websites are and can be slow
4, as per 1, some parts of the internet have time sensitive restrictions on them to slow down what you get
5, how many people use the internet (it is a shared service between you and your street)
6, your ISP could just be sheite and does not want to invest in anything other than just the basic stuff
7, Your location, depends how far you are away
8, you could be running on an alternate route for internet traffic (could be maintenance on your primary route)
9, more and more data is going over the internet these days from dedicated circuits to shared circuits (or Packet switching) and the core infrastructure just cannot cope

hope this gives you a bit of an idea

Couple of things.....

Depending on where you are connecting to and what time of day, the speeds can fluctuate. If for example you are using servers hosted in the US in the morning then speeds should be ok, once the good old USA wakes up and Internet traffic worldwide increases, a lot of US hubs / providers get a little clogged up, some even purposely introduce "throttling" to allow all traffic to access sites, but at limited speeds rather than for some users to get kicked off.

Try UK hosted sites, if this is still the same, ask your ISP if they have restricted your speed or service, they have to answer. In the terms and conditions of your agreement there is a fair use policy governing how much you download. If they deem your downloads as excessive then they have the right to restrict your speed and service.

Create a text file with a picture or something in it, note the size. Use one of the many testing tools / speed checkers and upload / download the file at different times and record your times. Note of warning, some of these test tools / sites are dodgy and try to tell you that your ISP is shoite to get you to move to another. Beware.

There are many forums / sites etc on this subject, get onto one of those for some free support. The question will have been asked before. Good luck.

The_Rattler said:
you will find several factors why the internet could be slow

1, time of the day (it that is the internet gets throttled back or restricted) to allow for business users
2, Virgin and BT do share infrastructure and resources
3, some websites are and can be slow
4, as per 1, some parts of the internet have time sensitive restrictions on them to slow down what you get
5, how many people use the internet (it is a shared service between you and your street)
6, your ISP could just be sheite and does not want to invest in anything other than just the basic stuff
7, Your location, depends how far you are away
8, you could be running on an alternate route for internet traffic (could be maintenance on your primary route)
9, more and more data is going over the internet these days from dedicated circuits to shared circuits (or Packet switching) and the core infrastructure just cannot cope

hope this gives you a bit of an idea
My bold, what he said. BT still own the majority of cabling in the UK, ISP's simply lease it. This dosent cover the likes of cable etc