Really, could they have?

happybonzo said:
I seem to remember a study that showed any unpleasantness going Nuclear within ten days.
Wasn't the Buzzword, "Tactical nuclear"? Pop one of those in the channel and all the 3 headed dover sole would attack the evil commies. :p

They would not have made it over the Weser without getting their bums wet and that would have been an end to the matter. The Lancashire Lads of 5th RRF (V) would have driven the lot back to the far bank from whence they came. But then did we have the MTDs to do it ?

Alec_Lomas said:
Just moving off the 'military approach'.
With the number of UK politicos they already had in their power such as most of the current crop which currently posture as a serving government, they may well have stopped on the French coast and negotiated a surrender.
True that Bob.

After the shambles of the BAOR Battle Royal exercises in 1954, there was a variety of approaches tried during 1955. One in December in severe winter conditions demonstrated very clearly that 1 Corps were not up to a fighting retreat. So the Operation Orders were all rewritten early in 1956 for a fast overnight general retreat to the other side of the Rhine, leaving all the bridges blown behind them to buy time. What might then have happened is an interesting question. You have to remember that at the time in both France and Italy there were large well organised Communist Parties tied to Moscow, and there was no effective German forces. So there may have just been us and the Americans. The assumption at 1 Corps was that the Soviet Third Shock Army would not be much delayed, but we could retreat faster than they could advance.

What about all those big fast hovercraf they had and the twin hulled fast ferry ships? I seem to remember seeing a video of 4-5 Soviet hovercraft coming in at around 40mph and spilling tanks, apcs and troops onto the beach in very quick time. Lets face it, right now land a brigade at a big airport and you could fly in thousands of troops before plod or the RAF know whats happening...

WhiteHorse said:
What about all those big fast hovercraf they had and the twin hulled fast ferry ships? I seem to remember seeing a video of 4-5 Soviet hovercraft coming in at around 40mph and spilling tanks, apcs and troops onto the beach in very quick time. Lets face it, right now land a brigade at a big airport and you could fly in thousands of troops before plod or the RAF know whats happening...
You would hope for some pre-warning ... 8)

And how proof are hovercraft skirts against .50 / 20mm / 30mm ?

blue_sophist said:
WhiteHorse said:
You would hope for some pre-warning ... 8)

And how proof are hovercraft skirts against .50 / 20mm / 30mm ?
Thats the point isn't it, they can take a hell of a battering and still perform.

ugly

LE
It only needs enough of them to deposit apc's and troops on a vulnerable KP or LZ and away you go!

WhiteHorse said:
ugly said:
It only needs enough of them to deposit apc's and troops on a vulnerable KP or LZ and away you go!
What would we have in the UK to stop them?
The RAF, of course. :D
FFS, that's what they're for ... Defence of the Realm, The Few [albeit that included Bomber Command and others] ...

Both squadrons airborne, Hun in the sun [assuming it's morning, of course].
Sh1t, what a load of targets ... 8)

That would be the idea, but surely the Russkies wouldnt be trying to cross without air supports, im fairly sure that the RAF would have their hands full engaging air targets to try and have a crack at some hovercrafts.

mandown said:
That would be the idea, but surely the Russkies wouldnt be trying to cross without air supports, im fairly sure that the RAF would have their hands full engaging air targets to try and have a crack at some hovercrafts.
Ahh ... we have a cunning plan.

It goes like this [ssshh]

Air Defence squadrons engage enemy aircraft, and Attack squadrons attack the ships.

That's the theory, although most of the front line ac are dual-capable to some extent [i.e. most carry air-to-air missiles for self defence].

I hope I can say all that? 8O

WhiteHorse said:
Is this what you mean?

http://www.vincelewis.net/ekranoplan.html

These craft are big and fast and were kept secret from the west until the fall of communism in the early 1990's. It can quite easily be envisaged a hundred of such craft zooming across the ocean relatively undetected underneath radar to invade a country. And by the time that country reaslised what was going on it would have been too late.

big_mad_ejit said:
WhiteHorse said:
Is this what you mean?

These craft are big and fast and were kept secret from the west until the fall of communism in the early 1990's. It can quite easily be envisaged a hundred of such craft zooming across the ocean relatively undetected underneath radar to invade a country. And by the time that country reaslised what was going on it would have been too late.
Bugger its worse than I thought, the ones we saw were conventional hovercraft with 15-20 tanks apcs etc on an open deck. Could you imagine dozens of those things coming in at 550Kts and spilling two companies at a time after flying over your defences 8O

WhiteHorse said:
big_mad_ejit said:
WhiteHorse said:
Is this what you mean?

Bugger its worse than I thought, the ones we saw were conventional hovercraft with 15-20 tanks apcs etc on an open deck. Could you imagine dozens of those things coming in at 550Kts and spilling two companies at a time after flying over your defences 8O
One must ask: Whither cometh these Ekroplana? Answer: Overland through Germany & France. And they're very big targets, with no apparent defensive armament. I think our handful of Jags & Harriers would've made mincemeat of 'em long before they reached the Channel. The Yanks might have had a swipe at them too - they've got a few planes.

Cheers,
Cliff.

If i remember reading this correctly the Ruskkies were not going to invade the East Coast of the UK. The plan was for Para divisions to dissect the uk just north of Blackpool to i believe Whitby area and to bring troops over the shore in Morecombe Bay. I'm sure it was in the papers last year.

ark-angel said:
If i remember reading this correctly the Ruskkies were not going to invade the East Coast of the UK. The plan was for Para divisions to dissect the uk just north of Blackpool to i believe Whitby area and to bring troops over the shore in Morecombe Bay. I'm sure it was in the papers last year.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where did you "winkle" that one from? :wink:

ugly

LE
That was on the news, recently released maps found in a sale of maps from Ukraine I think. They were quite accurate to a point. I am sure there is a website on KGB spies maps for invading GB!

Like many Arrsers, in my first life I sat, from time to time, overlooking the Sibesse Gap and wondered how we could possibly stop the red hordes from reaching Calais. In my second life, post 1989, I got involved in several tank re-engining programmes in ex-Warsaw Pact countries. Believe me, if the Third Shock Army had got much beyond Fallingbostel, it would have been a miracle, unless, of course, they had full roadside and relay assistance from the Soviet RAC/AA. Never mind firepower and protection - Ivan's shite engines and lack of strategic mobility would have saved us.