Reality check for Mr Allawi please.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Filbert Fox, Feb 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hands up if you think this will come back and bite him on the arrse.

From Sky News:

Iraq's interim leader has called on the country to unite following the weekend's historic elections and says terrorists have been defeated.
    Speaking in a televised address for the first time since the election, Interim Prime Minister Ayd Allawi said: "I call upon those who cast their ballot and those who did not to unite.

"The terrorists have been defeated.",,30200-13292300,00.html
  2. the words 'gun' and 'jumping the' spring to mind! 8O
  3. To be fair, I think he's suggesting that the Interim Government/Coalition won that particular battle, ie the elections - which is undeniably true - rather than suggesting that the insurgency has been completely defeated.
  4. To be fair he could hardly have said anything else could he? "Thank F*ck, I thought we'd be knee deep in bodies and my wife a widow" is hardly a rallying cry. Besides it's not like he stood on an aircraft carrier in front of a huge banner saying 'Job Done' or something similar, that would take a real pr*ck :twisted:
  5. Lets just hope you are right! 2Y2D!

On the other lets hope Allwi is right and we can all go home.
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

It will be interesting now to see how things play out. In the recent elections in Afghanistan the Islamic extremists promised to stop the elections (on the basis that elected governments transfer power from God - in the form of the clerics - to man) That didnt happen and Karzai's government legitimacy was enhanced as a result. Allawi can now play a nationalist card, appealing to those insurgents who are fighting purely on an anti occupation (rather than Islamic or Baathist agenda), along the lines that the faster they get an established government, the faster the US coalition will leave. We shall see, but at least it may show us the light at the end of the tunnel - and how long the tunnel is!!

Bear in mind that these elections only elect an assembly to write the constitution - the government will not be elected (assuming that the new constitution calls for an elected government!) until later this year.
  7. Ditto
  8. Reminds me off the ending bits of 'Return of the Jedi'. Minus the Ewoks......lets all hold hands and sing songs............evil is defeated......!

Are all the worlds politicians cnuts or something??!!
  9. "Are all the world politicians cnuts or something??!!"
    Er YES on a scale of 0 to 100 I 'd go for 95+%.
    I think Mandela was last gen politico I have seen.
  10. Say what??
  11. Mandela the last politico!!!!!!!!!! In the same way as Gerry Adams is - except Adams was never sent down for murder, likewise his wife was never put on trial for murder :x
  12. Now Grumpy don't missquote.