Realigning the British Army after Ukraine

I would love it, just once, to see one of the many 'How do we fix the Army' threads reach a consensus on what should be done.

You can imagine a meeting between VSO's and advisors, so many different ideas, so many thoughts on current and future technology, where the next conflict will be, and so on. The same happens here, many ideas but little agreement.

Personally, I think the OP (of each thread) should create a running synopsis of what they think are good ideas and post updates as the thread progresses.

ugly

LE
You could incentivise the youth, 12 months regular training and service followed by five years reserve service and no tuition fees!

Truxx

LE
This is interesting, is he suggesting the procurement and management of the vehicle fleet is not up to requirement?

We will re-build our stockpiles and review the deployability of our vehicle fleet. And having seen its limitations first-hand as the Commander of the Field Army, I think we need to ask ourselves whether Whole Fleet Management is the right model given the scale of the threat we face.
No

We really don't need to ask if whole fleet management is the right model.

We never had to ask that.

Some did but those questions were drowned out by the squeals of the Good Ideas Club.

Double Earmarking all round!

Truxx

LE
I would love it, just once, to see one of the many 'How do we fix the Army' threads reach a consensus on what should be done.

You can imagine a meeting between VSO's and advisors, so many different ideas, so many thoughts on current and future technology, where the next conflict will be, and so on. The same happens here, many ideas but little agreement.

Personally, I think the OP (of each thread) should create a running synopsis of what they think are good ideas and post updates as the thread progresses.
How do you not know that VSOs are already amongst us?

To quote Albertous Junior on discussing the manning problem and modernising the army and incentivising retention this morning:

"And we still have absolute screamers in regiments crying about dress regs and trivial shit"

I think removing the quoted problem is an absolute priority IMHO.

Will be interesting to see how this goes.

I suspect CGS knows how much people and material 3 Div could currently put into the field and by when. Not much, not very quickly.

The 'global engagement' crap seems to be on the back burner, which is sensible. The US folks I spoke to always looked a bit puzzled we were touring around the South China Sea. First and foremost, they expect us to hold our own in Europe.

It is going to take several years to build up the capability required to meet CGS' aim, and while pace is definitely needed I'd rather see a well thought out and planned set of activities than rigging up a spreadsheet with red amber green KPIs and an Op name.

Majorpain

War Hero
He did do that, and he’s right in my view to opine that WFM is balls because it is. It isn’t entirely within his gift to change that though.
The rumour was a certain regiment was working 16 hour days after a call for support to Ukraine came through, and the entire stock of vehicles was found to be "substandard" in readiness. Luckily the vehicle support has been found to be lacking in a situation that is not critical for UK defence.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The rumour was a certain regiment was working 16 hour days after a call for support to Ukraine came through, and the entire stock of vehicles was found to be "substandard" in readiness. Luckily the vehicle support has been found to be lacking in a situation that is not critical for UK defence.
Why hadn’t they been looking after their equipment?

ImNotABot

Clanker
Blinkered fool

Net result of spaffing billions on pointless lockdowns, WFH luvvies, and vaccines that were designed, and only really worked, against the original strain of "virus of unspecified origin". Chuck in all unions trying a cash grab for the 70's era rail workers, MIA GPs, a supermassive blackhole NHS, commie teachers and of course, benefits, and before you know it, there's zero pounds left in the coffers for an actual real life defcon 1 emergency.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
See COVID vaccinations and logistic support, firemen, ambulance and tanker drivers, bin men ad nauseam..
Bad to form to quote oneself but Wallace has just aired the idea that these onerous tasks will be transferred to the Reserve….

Latest Threads