Realigning the British Army after Ukraine

Carter was right [Did I really say that???]

The Russian threat has proven to be real, in Georgia (2008, Crimea (2014) and Ukraine (2022).

That they have shown themselves to be sub-optimal does not minimise the threat to the populations.
Russia is playing in its own backyard as it always has done. Carter presented a real threat to the UK; ie capability and intention. They’ve never had the capability.

If you are talking about saluting a VC holder, that is utter, utter bollocks.

I suspect the rumour otherwise comes from too many people of limited mental acuity watching US war films as saluting a MoH holder is a thing over there.
As this thread now appears quiescent, I hope I may be allowed to resurrect the thread drift of earlier.
An extract from Hansard 1944.

Hansard.png

This seems to me that;
(a) This idea did indeed come from America.
(b) If it was already a tradition, there would be no need to make it mandatory.

Depends how big GDP is doesn’t it…?

Belligerent, perhaps. Or buggered.

Reality is that Russia will have to rearm. So should we. We’ve been afforded some time.

It needs repeating, I think.

Big wars are come as you are events.
Even the Second World War only had a 3 year warning.
It takes 10-20 years to get a new AFV into service.
We were told we would have 10 years warning of a resurgent Russia.
We didn't spot the start of that ten years, in 2008, or in 2014.
Ukraine has brought us some time, lets use it.

It needs repeating, I think.

Big wars are come as you are events.
Even the Second World War only had a 3 year warning.
It takes 10-20 years to get a new AFV into service.
We were told we would have 10 years warning of a resurgent Russia.
We didn't spot the start of that ten years, in 2008, or in 2014.
Ukraine has brought us some time, lets use it.
A wrong headed policy we have used before.

A wrong headed policy we have used before.

Actually it's not a bad idea, the trouble is spotting the starting gun. The start point is easy to spot in hindsight, but very hard to notice at the time.

For example of how hard it is to spot the start point:
Are we going to need to fight the US in ten years? The trajectory they are on right now is one ending with a theocracy ruled by a clique of rich types, which are known to act in a manner resembling a loose cannon, not based on logical thought and happy to ignore international laws and opinion (sort of a cross between Iran and Russia, with a massive budget).

Or is it just history congealing?

Gen. Sir Richard Sherriff spelling out exactly what the Threat is, and what needs doing now the Gates of Mordor have opened.

The World has not been in such danger since the Cuba crisis.

Actually it's not a bad idea, the trouble is spotting the starting gun. The start point is easy to spot in hindsight, but very hard to notice at the time.

For example of how hard it is to spot the start point:
Are we going to need to fight the US in ten years? The trajectory they are on right now is one ending with a theocracy ruled by a clique of rich types, which are known to act in a manner resembling a loose cannon, not based on logical thought and happy to ignore international laws and opinion (sort of a cross between Iran and Russia, with a massive budget).

Or is it just history congealing?
It was a terrible idea, and was seen as a terrible idea from its inception. A combination of naivety, wishful thinking and stubborn refusal to adapt your thinking to changing reality.

In fact, it was a classic Winston Churchill policy, and goes a long way to explain why WSC was so loathed and distrusted for most of his political career until 1939.

The problem isn't so much if you go to war in the next ten years. History suggests that is a racing certainty. The question is also not who with, but where,and with what.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
A resurgent Russia ?

Thought the experts on here were all saying that Russia would be a Military non-entity for decades to come.
Defeated armies learn the quickest and Russia will be more dangerous after Ukraine than it was before.

CGS’ words this morning at the RUSI LWC.

Defeated armies learn the quickest and Russia will be more dangerous after Ukraine than it was before.

CGS’ words this morning at the RUSI LWC.

Not me you need to tell - It is the plethora of experts, on various threads, that have stated that Russia will be a Military non-entity for decades, that need telling.

Some of them, apparently still serving as Officers.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Not me you need to tell - It is the plethora of experts, on various threads, that have stated that Russia will be a Military non-entity for decades, that need telling.

Some of them, apparently still serving as Officers.
Well the latter got told, in the room, in no uncertain terms!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Listening to the RUSI Land Warfare Conference. Some really interesting stuff.

There’s a section for written q’s. Many of them quite pointed about Log. But It’s refreshing to I know that utter pointless cuntery is still alive and well. Putin must quake in his boots.

“Will a CABRIT medal be
commissioned along with the
introduction of Op Tour bonuses in
recognition of the threat posed by
Russia and commitment of our
soldiers?”

Latest Threads