Real Virus Alert

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by dpcw, Mar 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Real Virus here chaps - be aware
    Postcard thing

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an
    Attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mailto all your contacts.

It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it.!

Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.
    Microsoft as the most destructive virus has classified it ever. McAfee discovered this virus yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital

2. Cheers,

forwarded on details to everyone in my inbox

stilts

3. All these virus alerts look very frightening. If you ever see a real virus alert you'll probably fall asleep reading it. :lol:
    Check it out on Snopes CLICKY
    or Hoax-Slayer LINKY

4. My computer doesn't have a hard disc C. Should I still worry?

5. msr

msr LE

Please don't.

msr

6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

So, the IA drill upon receinving this email, is to shut the machine down? and do what, just look at it? Somehow, dont think this is genuine matey...

7. msr

msr LE

The IA drill is to watch your antivirus detect it and remove it.

msr

8. This looks like another one of those hoax emails circulating around the net, so probably nothing to worry about. I think it is far better to mention it, just in case such a threat is real.

I did a bit of checking, here is something on this email from Hoax-Slayer )link) and another (link). From the sound of things, I wouldn't worry myself unduly, but do make sure you have an up to date virus checker installed. (if in doubt, you can get a pretty good one for free from here )

But do remember, that is just my opinion, it is up to you to decide whether to ignore it or not!

9. I was worried for a moment... Then I remember my Mac can't get viruses :D

10. That’s because Macs are so shite even hackers don’t bother writing software for them :D

11. msr

msr LE

Oh yes it can....

msr

12. MSR is right. Its no more difficult to write malicious code for a mac than it is for a windows box (or linux for that matter). The fact that mac and linux are not prolific in the market place means that virus authors dont bother.

A rule of thumb with "virus alerts" is to delete them. They pretty much always include a phrase along the lines of "forward to everyone in your contacts" which generally means that the mail is nothing more than a chain letter, and does nothing more than make the internet slower for everyone.

13. I may sound naive but why the fook do they hack your pc just to fook it up? What do they actually get out of it?

I really don’t understand it.

14. The sick sense of satisfaction, they are probably cruel to small animals too.

But seriously doesn't another "Microsoft has classified this as the most vicious/destructive/gayest virus ever" appear about once a fortnight? How pray is this virus going to "burn" your hard drive? If all else fails, reformat.

RSF K