Real spotter question

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by captaincalamity, May 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, one for the pamphlet heads out there. Doing some training on the Smoke Signal L64-67 series, and the question came up, as it does, as to why the smoke colour is denoted by 3 'C's stamped on the body? Surely it would be better to have a band of colour around the body? Anybody got any clues as to the origins of the 3 Cs?

Cheers

2. Does is stand for "Combustible Cartridge Case"?

3. Colour Classification Code

4. On Artillery marker shells it stands for "colour coded content" with the content being the same colour as the 3 C's. I assume this is the same meaning.

5. Coloured bands on UK ammunition are/were used to indicate filling i.e. a red band indicating HE content, a brown band indicating a low explosive filling. The band therfore indicates the hazard associated with the ammunition.

Using a coloured band to indicate the colour of the smoke/flare etc would clash with the current use of bands. I.e. a shell smoke emitting red smoke would have a red band - which would normally indicate an HE filling which would be wrong for an emission smoke shell (which should have a brown band indicating low explosive). The colour of the emission is actually the secondary effect of the ammuniton.

For flares, the colour of the signal is usually shown by a symbol - dot/circle for white, cross (i think) for red and triangle (i think) for green.. usually embossed so that you can feel them in the dark...

Smoke granade colour is as you say, shown as a circle of Cs (for Colour) in the same colour as the emitted smoke. The designation also shows the colour i.e. Gren Smk Green. As I recall, smoke grenades were marked like this as a result of a user request, so that the colour of the grenade could be seen whichever way up the grenade was lying. The Cs should be spaced in such a way as there is always one visible (although I think this got cocked up...). This marking scheme should be taught to the used as part of their training, and nobody should be using a grenade without knowing what it means.

Ammo markings have to be carefully thought out as there is a wide audience of people who need to use them from the manufacturers through the loggies and techs, to the guys on the ground.

Finally we need to be very careful not to confuse new marking schemes with old ones, as in many cases the person who is most at risk is the poor EOD bod who may have to deal with some rusting relic in the middle of a field 80 years on from it being used...

For them, the sight of a red band is NOT the sign of a good day.... :evil:

6. How about:

"Cough Cough Cough"
    "Clearly Causes Cancer"
    "Chunder Colour Chart"
    "Chancy Cover Cloud"

Hope that helps.

7. Old git, showing your age there HE117. That's the Pre-69 system. :D

8. Yes, I was waiting for that... I was expecting incoming from Rickshaw Major, but obviously the sliv is taking some time to wear off this morning..

My point however was that it us in the Land EOD world that need to keep a grip on the ammo marking game. Some prat in Bath whose ammo ends up in the oggin is not bothered about marking for the future...

Not that I'me bitter...

9. Cheers folks - I'll report back with my new found knowledge and astound the DS!

10. I was under the impression that a YELLOW band indicates a Hi-Ex filling..

11. It does. If the ammo was manufactured post '69. Prior to '69 red indicated HE. Post '69 red indicates incendiary.