Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Listy, Jun 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who cares.
  2. Two different views, one from the deck, another from another a/c, I'd say real
  3. don't know, many moons ago I had a Tornado pass over me while I was sailing, admittedly a good chunk lower than that, but it left a large furrow in the water behind it, enough to tip me out of the small boat I was in. Would have thought a plane that size would leave an even bigger disturbance in the water?
  4. The B52 is about 160 feet in length, so, looking at the shadow and at a guess, aircraft altitude is somewhere between 50 and 100 feet. That's pretty low for such a large aircraft, but not impossible. I would expect large maritime patrol aircraft, such as Nimrod, to operate not very much higher. The main problems are going to be maintaining height visually over a calm sea, because of the lack of visual cues, and avoiding digging in a wingtip when turning.

The lack of any trace on the water surface is a very good query, though I remember lying in the tail cone of the Shackleton at 100 feet and not noticing much in the way of a trail - but that was a much smaller aircraft.

The thing I found oddest about the pictures was the apparent negative angle of attack - it would be interesting to know the speed of the aircraft.
  5. When I was a nipper, I was part of a group of cadets on board HMS Kent at the Silver Jubilee Fleet Review. During air co-op exercises a couple of days after the Review, we had Bucanneers bombing a splash target being towed behind the destroyer. From the flag deck, between Kent's funnels, we could see down into the Bucanneer cockpits, as they buzzed the ship. Our viewpoint was only about 35-40 ft above sea level, and the Bucanneer was a very big aircraft, so it was an impressive feat! I have a photo somewhere, but its a bit blurred...!

6. Awesome machine that, fond memories.
  7. Heard some great stories from ex-bucaneer chaps about low flying on Ex in the States, doesn't the aicraft's shape actually make it easier to fly low level? The Vulcan chaps in Germany also used to do a good line in low-flying, in one case righting off some Luftwaffe Colonel's car. Innovations in Soviet SAMs in the early 80s meant that it would be too dangerous to fly high level all the way to the target, so the crews started hedge skimming.
  8. I do remember tales of buccaneers returning with grass stains on the bomb doors; I've never seen it though. Lots of talk about using the 'ground effect' too which is supposed to act as a kind of 'forgiving' cushion.
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

ISTR reading about 1980 how the RAF couldn't take the Buccaneer out of service because it was simply the most stable flying weapons platform ever build and in competitions in Nevada they simply never missed.

I remember they bombed and napalmed the Torrey Canyon (oil tank ran aground off the south coast somewhere in March 1966 as I returned from South America). For days the front page of every newspaper showed black burning oil clouds like we saw of Kuwait in 1991.

As for Vulcans flying Lo-Hi-Lo, see link. Note date: 1971.

I was in an English lesson and therefore in the wrong classroom to see the fireball and parachutes from school in Seaham, but walked in on a classroom sat silent, every mouth open looking at the smoke trail in the seconds afterward.
  10. Characteristic of the BUFF that.
  11. Wasn't there some kind of experimentation with auto-bailing the crew from the Vulcan's 'coalmine with switches'?
    ISTR some RAF Eng O's talking about how each crewman would be deposited through the escape hatch in quick succession by means of turning and tilting seats. Trouble was that the avionics groundcrew were prone to tripping the system and getting dumped onto the pan from a not inconsiderable height and getting carted off to the MO still clutching their soldering irons.