Real Life Pte Ryan

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by oldbaldy, Jan 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The real life of Private Ryan: Agony of the First World War mother who sent four sons into battle... but only one came back | Mail Online

I'm sure other families lost 3 children in WW1 & this acticle shows the realities for them.
  2. I thought the real Pte Ryan was a lad from E company 506th reg 101 AB of band of brothers fame? No "mission" to get him he was just taken off the line and sent back.
  3. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

It was supposed to based loosely on the Niland brothers, one of whom was in the 501 Parachute Infantry Regiment & had friends in the 506.
    Niland brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another US family lost five brothers in WW2:
    All were serving on USS Juneau when it was sunk on 13 November 1942. It was because of this and the Borgstrom brothers, who were all killed in 1944, the US changed it's poilicy on siblings.
    Sullivan brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Borgstrom brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. There are plenty of families lost 'all but one', probably as many as lost 'all'.
  5. The mothers, however, have made geneology research a bit of a nightmare: if they lost a son in WWI and they were of an age to have further children, the style of the time was that they would name any males after the one that was lost.

My Great Great Grandmother and her sister both did so, resulting in plethora of John William 40Cs!
  6. young are you? Both my 'Grandads' fought in that fecker.
  7. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

8. CWGC - Casualty Details

4 Garland brothers in the RAF were killed in WW2.
    You'd have thought the RAF could have posted an officer off flying duties towards the end of WW2, but apparently not.

9. The RAF have previous on this one MacRobert baronets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lady MacRobert lost her 3 sons (1 x pre-war, 2 x killed in action), all of whom served in the RAF.
  10. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

40C beat me to it.

I first learned of the MacRoberts when I came across a bagpipe lament written in their honour - "The Flight of the Eaglets."
  11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Started much earlier than WW1, I have examples of a child dying & then another born a couple of years after the death being given the same name.
    Women also had a tendency to name children after brothers killed in WW1, my own father being one and I am named after a brother of my mother killed in WW2.
  12. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

I have a sister and a cousin who were both named after my uncle who was killed on Iwo Jima (24 Feb 1945).
  13. Named my daughter after my dad's G/F who died in a PoW camp in WW1
  14. Go away, you irritating cock-boil.
  15. Your dads G/F was in a POW camp?