Real Heroes: Courage Under Fire - Six Copies To Win

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Bad CO, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We've got six sets of the "Real Heroes: Courage Under Fire" 2009 & 2010 book to give away. All you have to do is send Auld_Yin a Private Message with the answer to this question (ends 23 Nov at 2359!):

Who was the last person to win the Victoria Cross?
    (For the pedants amongst you - the UK Version)

For those who aren't aware the 'Real Heroes' books have been released to raise money for Help For Heroes with £1 from each copy sold going to them. The ARRSE Book Club have written a review

Courage_Under_Fire.jpg

P.S Pse bump

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

PMs are flying in - thanks everyone who has entered so far.

I am not going to reply to your PM so please don't think I am being rude. I am keeping a note of all the answers, including the incorrect ones. :-|

Look out for the winners next week :)

3. Auld-Yin

Bump - plenty of room for more entries. Just PM me with the (correct) answer to the question in original post.

4. Auld-Yin

Evening bump for those not able to access at work (or worse, too keen to access at work).

PM your entry to me - 6 winners will each get Vol 1 and Vol 2 of Real Heroes.

5. Auld-Yin

Bumpity bump - lets have more entries for this great competition. Real Heroes is a great Christmas present and to get Vol1 also is a bonus.

PM me with your answer.

6. Auld-Yin

Friday's bump - room for plenty more entries -PMs to me with the answer.

7. Auld-Yin

Saturday morning bump. This is your chance to get great Christmas presents. All you have to do is send me a PM with the answer to the question from Bad CO. Have a think about it and don't embarrass yourself by getting it wrong.

A-Y

8. Auld-Yin

Sunday bump for this competition - have a good, it is not hard, well shouldn't be but seems to be very difficult for some!

PM me with your answer.

A-Y

9. Auld-Yin

Right you lot - just 36 hours to go. Get your entry to me asap with the correct entry and you could be the proud possessor of these two fine volumes.

PM me with the answer to the question in the first post. Have a look at the review also as this is definitely something for the Christmas wish list.

10. Auld-Yin

OK guys, last day for this exciting competition! Get your PM to me with the correct answer to the question in the first post and you will be in the draw tomorrow morning.

Have a look at the book from this link which has some sample pages.

'Real Heroes - Courage Under Fire' sample pages

But to win it you have to PM me the correct answer. Closes 2359 tonight (Arrse time)!!

A-Y

11. Auld-Yin

Last call - competition closes in less than 1 1/2 hours. Time for a PM to me with the answer.

12. Auld-Yin

This competition is now closed and the publisher has been sent the number of winning entries and will send back 6 numbers which she is choosing and they will be the winners. I will put up a notice here once I have that information.

I have to say that I am disappointed in the number of people (including some long term Arrse members) who sent in the incorrect answer. The question as given by BadCO was :

"Who was the last person to win the Victoria Cross? (For the pedants amongst you - the UK Version)"

The answer is Cpl Bryan Budd VC, 3PARA who was posthumously awarded his VC for actions prior to and on 20 August 2006.

London Gazette

Many answered that it was LCpl Johnson Beharry VC, who was awarded his well deserved VC for actions in May and June 2004.

13. Auld-Yin

The winning numbers have been selected by Katherine from HarperCollins and are as follows: Tah-Dah!! :dance:

blueygirl
    Bugger_All
    Monty417
    Sixty
    Prince Albert
    Capt_Crusty

Congratulations to them. Please PM me with your name and address which I will send off to the publisher who will post out the prizes.

Commiserations to the losers and the ones who got the question wrong should hang their heads in shame!!! :)

Many thanks to HarperCollins for supplying the prizes.

Keep your eyes peeled as there are more competitions in the pipeline.

14. Auld-Yin

Bump - just to bring to people's attention and get over 10 characters!!!