Real Heroes: Courage Under Fire - Six Copies To Win

We've got six sets of the "Real Heroes: Courage Under Fire" 2009 & 2010 book to give away. All you have to do is send Auld_Yin a Private Message with the answer to this question (ends 23 Nov at 2359!):

Who was the last person to win the Victoria Cross?
(For the pedants amongst you - the UK Version)

For those who aren't aware the 'Real Heroes' books have been released to raise money for Help For Heroes with £1 from each copy sold going to them. The ARRSE Book Club have written a review

This book is a compilation of stories of courage and dedicating to duty by British Servicemen and Servicewomen put together through collaboration with The Sun and HarperCollins publishers to benefit the Help for Heroes charitable trust. The book opens with a preface by Jeremy Clarkson who finishes off his piece with “We have a warped sense of what constitutes bravery these days. We even call premiership footballers heroes for scoring a penalty. When you compare that to the stories you will read in this book – well, enough said.” And he is right! The stories of real courage, both under fire and the recovery from injury are stories of real heroes.

more........
Courage_Under_Fire.jpg

P.S Pse bump

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
PMs are flying in - thanks everyone who has entered so far.

I am not going to reply to your PM so please don't think I am being rude. I am keeping a note of all the answers, including the incorrect ones. :-|

Look out for the winners next week :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bump - plenty of room for more entries. Just PM me with the (correct) answer to the question in original post.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Evening bump for those not able to access at work (or worse, too keen to access at work).

PM your entry to me - 6 winners will each get Vol 1 and Vol 2 of Real Heroes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bumpity bump - lets have more entries for this great competition. Real Heroes is a great Christmas present and to get Vol1 also is a bonus.

PM me with your answer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Friday's bump - room for plenty more entries -PMs to me with the answer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Saturday morning bump. This is your chance to get great Christmas presents. All you have to do is send me a PM with the answer to the question from Bad CO. Have a think about it and don't embarrass yourself by getting it wrong.

A-Y

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sunday bump for this competition - have a good, it is not hard, well shouldn't be but seems to be very difficult for some!

PM me with your answer.

A-Y

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Right you lot - just 36 hours to go. Get your entry to me asap with the correct entry and you could be the proud possessor of these two fine volumes.

PM me with the answer to the question in the first post. Have a look at the review also as this is definitely something for the Christmas wish list.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
OK guys, last day for this exciting competition! Get your PM to me with the correct answer to the question in the first post and you will be in the draw tomorrow morning.

Have a look at the book from this link which has some sample pages.

'Real Heroes - Courage Under Fire' sample pages

But to win it you have to PM me the correct answer. Closes 2359 tonight (Arrse time)!!

A-Y

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Last call - competition closes in less than 1 1/2 hours. Time for a PM to me with the answer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This competition is now closed and the publisher has been sent the number of winning entries and will send back 6 numbers which she is choosing and they will be the winners. I will put up a notice here once I have that information.

I have to say that I am disappointed in the number of people (including some long term Arrse members) who sent in the incorrect answer. The question as given by BadCO was :

"Who was the last person to win the Victoria Cross? (For the pedants amongst you - the UK Version)"

The answer is Cpl Bryan Budd VC, 3PARA who was posthumously awarded his VC for actions prior to and on 20 August 2006.

London Gazette

During July and August 2006, 'A' Company, 3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment were deployed in the District Centre at Sangin. They were constantly under sustained attack from a combination of Taliban small arms, rocket-propelled grenades, mortar and rocket fire.
On 27 July 2006, whilst on a routine patrol, Corporal Bryan Budd's section identified and engaged two enemy gunmen on the roof of a building in the centre of Sangin. During the ensuing fierce fire-fight, two of Corporal Budd's section were hit. One was seriously injured and collapsed in the open ground, where he remained exposed to enemy fire, with rounds striking the ground around him. Corporal Budd realised that he needed to regain the initiative and that the enemy needed to be driven back so that the casualty could be evacuated.

Under fire, he personnally led the attack on the building where the enemy fire was heaviest, forcing the remaining fighters to flee across an open field where they were successfully engaged. This courageous and prompt action proved decisive in breaking the enemy and was undertaken at great personal risk. Corporal Budd's decisive leadership and conspicuous gallantry allowed his wounded colleague to be evacuated to safety where he subsequently received life-saving treatment.

A month later, on 20 August 2006, Corporal Budd was leading his section on the right forward flank of a platoon clearance patrol near Sangin District Centre. Another section was advancing with a Land Rover fitted with a .50 calibre heavy machine gun on the patrol's left flank. Pushing through thick vegetation, Corporal Budd identified a number of enemy fighters 30 metres ahead. Undetected, and in an attempt to surprise and destroy the enemy, Corporal Budd, initiated a flanking manoeuvre. However, the enemy spotted the Land Rover on the left flank and the element of surprise was lost for the whole platoon.

In order to regain the initiative, Corporal Budd decided to assault the enemy and ordered his men to follow him. As they moved forward the section came under a withering fire that incapacitated three of his men. The continued enemy fire and these losses forced the section to take cover. But, Corporal Budd continued to assault on his own, knowing full well the likely consequences of doing so without the close support of his remaining men. He was wounded but continued to move forward, attacking and killing the enemy as he rushed their position.

Inspired by Corporal Budd's example, the rest of the platoon reorganised and pushed forward their attack, eliminating more of the enemy and eventually forcing their withdrawal. Corporal Budd susequently died of his wounds, and when his body was later recovered it was found surrounded by three dead Taliban.

Corporal Budd's conspicuous gallantry during these two engagements saved the lives of many of his colleagues. He acted in the full knowledge that the rest of his men had either been struck down or had been forced to go to ground. His determination to press home a single-handed assault against a superior enemy force despite his wounds stands out as a premeditated act of inspirational leadership and supreme valour. In recognition of this, Corporal Budd is awarded the Victoria Cross.
Many answered that it was LCpl Johnson Beharry VC, who was awarded his well deserved VC for actions in May and June 2004.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The winning numbers have been selected by Katherine from HarperCollins and are as follows: Tah-Dah!! :dance:

blueygirl
Bugger_All
Monty417
Sixty
Prince Albert
Capt_Crusty

Congratulations to them. Please PM me with your name and address which I will send off to the publisher who will post out the prizes.

Commiserations to the losers and the ones who got the question wrong should hang their heads in shame!!! :)

Many thanks to HarperCollins for supplying the prizes.

Keep your eyes peeled as there are more competitions in the pipeline.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bump - just to bring to people's attention and get over 10 characters!!!