Reading Work Emails

In brief, yes. If they have advised that monitoring will occur and undertaken an impact assessment then normally that's sufficient.

What have you done.... own up.

Does an employer have a right to monitor any emails sent from their work accounts regardless of content?
Yip, they can, read through their policies on IT. A friend of mine worked at Caterpillar in the Procurement Dept.
He did a search for English Cricket results many years ago, typed Middlesex County. a background programme just picked up sex from Middlesex, His workstation closed down and a message saying your Manager has been informed stay at your machine ! ! just goes to show you are not alone.

Does an employer have a right to monitor any emails sent from their work accounts regardless of content?
Yep. How would they know the content until they'd read it? They need to make sure you're acting appropriately with their time/resources/equipment.

Unlike me, posting on ARRSE instead of doing what I'm paid for.

Yip, they can, read through their policies on IT. A friend of mine worked at Caterpillar in the Procurement Dept.
He did a search for English Cricket results many years ago, typed Middlesex County. a background programme just picked up sex from Middlesex, His workstation closed down and a message saying your Manager has been informed stay at your machine ! ! just goes to show you are not alone.
Just as well he wasn't looking for shops in Scunthorpe.

Just as well he wasn't looking for shops in Scunthorpe.
A mate of mine searched for Manchester TV as he was convinced there was a regional channel.

If only he'd thought about the sites he was opening up (on dial-up early 2000's in Bessbrook Mill)

so many 'women' with such big... hands

It took me ages to clear all that from my computer and that's the story I'm sticking to

ugly

LE
I worked for a firm from Hull who had a custom OS which meant that every email could be read by anyone even ones the bosses didn't want you to know about.
Thanks to the pretty admin assistant (career gossip) who told a lad who worked for me to tell me to check. Weird ******* ers in Hull.

A friend called Cummings had big problems with his email not working due to the 'suggestiveness' of his name in the nanny filter.
Football writers tell stories of their mails being binned by the filter due to legs, thighs and groin ..., and Guinea.

They do, including NSA. I don't know about here in the UK, but NSA runs a hotline in the U.S., whereby if you forget your phone, work email whatever passwords you can ring them up and they will give it you. Which is nice.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I worked at MEB Computer Centre, West Midlands in 1993. Every night, a member of the team backed up the master VSAM (think pre-DB2) file to use for the following day's testing.

One day the goons arrived at his desk. Data on the master file were assumed correct, but as soon as it became his data set, the alarms went off. Turned out the previous day a customer had moved out of area, to Scunthorpe.

A friend called Cummings had big problems with his email not working due to the 'suggestiveness' of his name in the nanny filter.
Football writers tell stories of their mails being binned by the filter due to legs, thighs and groin ..., and Guinea.

There was a Beaver College in America that had similar issues, it renamed to Arcadia University because of all the blocked emails

Dont be tempted to use your own email address for work either. One of the senior bods at the Asset Mgmt firm i work at did that, and it featured in his suspension press release (which started to tank the firm as well in the process)

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
what did you do .. . . .

Hairy Cell Leukaemia can be a problem in emails if you're a Haematologist...

There was a Beaver College in America that had similar issues, it renamed to Arcadia University because of all the blocked emails
I almost worked in a company located on this road after I graduated. Still gives me the giggles.

Though, to be fair, that word is a lot more funnier here in the UK than in the U.S.

And if you have internal Skype messenger used to do quick conversations with other employees, they can also go through them and see where you have been slating people both internally and externally! Doh!!!