Reading lists........

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by milkandcheese, Nov 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's my first stint in the TA, just going into phase one next, heading along the PO route. My families military background is exclusively RAF, I'm not a gun nut, I'm not an ex cadet and I've not been in the military before. I'm aware my civilian skills transfer over to the military (project management and related IT work seems to be popular among the TA officers I've met so far) but am also aware of a dearth of specific military knowledge.

The problems I've encountered so far are mostly just lack of basic knowledge, and I'd rather prep up as much as I can. The forums are a goldmine, but they tend to disagree on minor points (which later turn out to be quite important!).

So, um, yes. Any books that come recommended? Mapreading (all I've done is plot routes for sailing), squad control and command, that sort of thing? The majority of stuff either seems to be out of date, from the US marines or has been rebranded for the SAS market.

Even books for motivation would be good (Lance Armstrong's 'its not about the bike' is a great read before training)!

BTW, a reading list might help retention through those first few months, those of you that worry about that sort of thing!
  2. Yep, got the same one when I started. My old man was Army but I never did cadets or anything like that so I was(am?) also a bit clueless. Very useful book as an aide memoir later but a heads up first.
  3. Quartered safe out here, is a good book.

Best thing to do is pay attention to what your instructors are teaching you.

Experience is something that is learnt, and not read.
  4. Agreed

but Langmuir (author, I think the title is mountaincraft and leadership) was recommened to me for mapreading and other advice

also purely as background how about

18 Platoon, Sidney Jary

With the Jocks, ?
  5. Aces. Just the sort of thing to give me a bit of immersion. It's even the right size to snaffle away in the kit!

Yes. I understand the most effective route to knowledge is to get stuck in, make the mistakes, listen to the advice and learn. Mind you, the MoD is rife with anachronism and archaic tradition. Traditionally, the best you can hope for is that another recruit messes up first and learn from that. I'd just rather hope not learn that orienteering lesson at minus 4 at 02:00 out on the hills.

Getting a head start on troublesome aspects like map reading is no bad thing, but right now it's the anachronisms that kill me! Besides, it's more for the motivation than a vain attempt at finding shortcuts.
  6. Our sqd ain't giving these out yet for the reason the we now have the A2, and the pocket book is still featuring the A1.
  7. All those mentioned plus...

Defeat into Victory - FM Viscount Slim
    Effective Leadership - John Adair
    The World We're In - Will Hutton
    Infantry Attacks - Erwin Rommel
    Al Qaeda - Jason Burke
    The River Cafe Cookbook - Rose Gray/Ruth Rogers
  8. And you can gain some of the necessary experience now by a piece of judicious DIY.

Purchase a Silva compass with a luminous needle, a 1:50,000 map of the local countryside, a book on orienteering and then practice on the ground. Start slowly by plotting legs on the map in pencil as you would on a sea chart and make a route card before setting off. For night nav, find out how many paces you need to walk 100 metres and keep a count as you cover each leg. It is surprising the accuracy that can be achieved with a little care.

Land navigation is much less troublesome than coastal dead-reckoning as you do not have to consider wind strength/direction or tidal flows. However, use of resection, transits etc that you may have experienced on the RYA shore-based courses are all applicable.

pm me if you need more.
  9. pmsl - mine had (still has) the SLR in it. God I feel old :D
  10. Mine is actually called the Volunteers Pocketbook - and yes, it has the SLR in it. Got mine in about 87. Just bought the new version - at only £7.75 it is a bargain.
  11. The art of war is a little book cheap and great if you need a pretenouse quote :lol: