Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Read this 1st - OPMI - What it is like (The Basics)

Coracao

Clanker
Hi All,

I have been a frequent visitor of this site while my application is being processed and while i am waiting on my medical deferral to get sorted out, however, i have a couple of questions that i haven't come across on the sticky's/are now out of date due to the information being several years old.

I am currently looking to join the Int Corps as an OPMI, though i was originally medically deferred from Lichfield for a couple of reasons that seem to be taking the NHS longer and longer to look at.

Every time i ask more detailed questions/inquiries the recruiters get a little more vague each time as they don't have a lot of detailed information available to them.

One of the questions is around the recruitment/suitability process between passing ADSC and Phase 1 training. I am led to believe that i will attend an interview/day trip at/to Chicksands. Could anyone give me a little more information about this stage please? All i have been told is "Make sure you know what is going on in the world". Any additional info would be appreciated to help me prepare.

My other question is about further education/degrees. Part of the OPMI job sheet says there are opportunities to gain additional qualifications, such as a degree in Intelligence, a degree in Security Management, and a couple of NVQs. What are the availability of these course, and how would i go about requesting to take part in them? Or are they only open to people that have been severing in the Corps for X amount of years?

My final question is about actual available positions currently. I got told by my recruiter that there are currently no more open places for the Int Corps. Does the Int Corps generally tend to open new places for new recruits at certain times in the year and then stop for the rest of the year? I have had my application going for nearly a year now due to this deferral but i haven't noticed any changes. I was wondering if there was any specific rules to the way the Int Corps conducts its recruitment.

Thanks for all the information currently posted on this site, it has answered a few questions, and also thanks in advance for any further information given.

You'll go on a 3 day selection at Chicksands to see if you are suitable. Consists of different tests which you will be informed about by your recruiting staff if you pass ADSC with a suitable grade.

I believe the number of people going through training is set to decrease over the next 12 months, rather than a freeze.

Hi everyone,

I have just successfully passed ADSC. I am now waiting for my date to attend the 3 day selection at Chicksands. Would be great if anyone has any advice for me, Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone,

I have just successfully passed ADSC. I am now waiting for my date to attend the 3 day selection at Chicksands. Would be great if anyone has any advice for me, Thank you in advance.

Egg sucking time & don't take this the wrong way. But to add to what CR has already said....

1. Wear a suit. A sensible, business suit - you are going to a job interview, not going to a club.. If you are male make sure that your tie is not 'loud' and get your haircut. I'm not talking about a grade zero all over, they aren't expecting that, just make sure that that it's neat and tidy. Brush polish your shoes.

2. Like CR has already said, turn up on time. In the Army this means BE EARLY. Do your research and make sure that you know how long it will take you to travel to Chicksands from were you are setting off from. Then add on a bit more to allow for traffic, delayed trains etc. If you are going by train you will need to get a taxi to Chicksands so dig out some taxi numbers.

3. Don't lie, bullshit or exaggerate during your interview process - the recruiting team has been around the block a few times and will spot this straight away.

4. Don't get blind drunk in the bar while you are there. If you get into trouble it will probably scupper your chances of being selected.

5. Have a decent working knowledge of current affairs, both foreign and domestic.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Anyone got some more up to date info on this? Also are there any new recruits out there? Ta muchly
The sensible advice offered above - very much including mine - remains valid.

thanks Glad - yes it all resonates with what I've read other than a slight change in terminology to Phase 1A/B/2. But would be good to see who else out there may be going through the process now.

Cheers!

RC

I left :(...in 2005. Joined in 2001. You will struggle to find a better regiment within the service! But you need to take advantage of the opportunity. I joined at 17yrs 6months. (Too young). I left thinking I was missing so much more in civvy street and never realised the privileged position I had earned myself by 21.

I'm now 32 and only just catching up to where my career may have been at if i had stayed in......quite a challenge may I add!

I can safely say that without those 4 years the road would have been longer and far more arduous.

PS. Squad 170

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
I left :(...in 2005. Joined in 2001. You will struggle to find a better regiment within the service! But you need to take advantage of the opportunity. I joined at 17yrs 6months. (Too young). I left thinking I was missing so much more in civvy street and never realised the privileged position I had earned myself by 21.

I'm now 32 and only just catching up to where my career may have been at if i had stayed in......quite a challenge may I add!

I can safely say that without those 4 years the road would have been longer and far more arduous.

PS. Squad 170

:D

Which category of offence has my post transgressed? (I've managed to collect black marks for most of them in various sites, but this is new and exciting).

thanks Glad - yes it all resonates with what I've read other than a slight change in terminology to Phase 1A/B/2. But would be good to see who else out there may be going through the process now.

Cheers!

RC
It is pointless to trawl the internets for other people going through the process. Just get on with going through the process on your own. You will have plenty of time to establish your own Dungeons and Dragons league during phase two.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
DII moderation is the next step up for an ARRSE moderator. You've not got the boxtops yet. Down, boy.

DII can go suck my plums. I worked out that I lost about 30% of my terminal time on my last posting, sitting around waiting for DII to react / process a mouse click / open an email / switch to a different window.

One of the shittest IT systems known to man, and something I certainly do not miss :)

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the shittest IT systems known to man, and something I certainly do not miss :)

I think you're being a little unfair on the hard working, top quality personnel of Atlas. Technologies like Turing machines and the interweb just move too fast sometimes, and create unrealistic user expectations. I mean, today's users actually want pictures as well as text, can you believe. It's not Atlas's fault that they can't procure enough Amstrads to network together to meet that kind of demand. & if you can find a dial-up modem faster than 320 kbit/s, then I'm sure they would be more than happy to upgrade their network!

If the MOD wants a really cutting edge capability, they need to invest some proper money rather than these £6bn sticking plasters, and get some modern infrastructure in. Like Pentium II's.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think you're being a little unfair on the hard working, top quality personnel of Atlas. Technologies like Turing machines and the interweb just move too fast sometimes, and create unrealistic user expectations. I mean, today's users actually want pictures as well as text, can you believe. It's not Atlas's fault that they can't procure enough Amstrads to network together to meet that kind of demand. & if you can find a dial-up modem faster than 320 kbit/s, then I'm sure they would be more than happy to upgrade their network!

If the MOD wants a really cutting edge capability, they need to invest some proper money rather than these £6bn sticking plasters, and get some modern infrastructure in. Like Pentium II's.
As long as you use the same process and lead time to buy a PC as you do an aircraft carrier, a degree of technology lag is going to be a distinct feature of that process.

It's interesting to watch Defence IT - in the big wide world, UK Defence is, to be generous, a smallish large enterprise, not doing anything particularly difficult or outre and running the IT organisation for it should be pretty much commoditised and straightforward.

alonso

Crow
I had the chance of entering as a Linguist back in the mid 1980s. I'd probably read to many John Le Carre novels and saw it as a slow way to get involved in cloak and dagger work. However I came to the oppinion that it would be more like being a glorified secretary. I backed out of joining the army and went to university.

Did I miss anything with the Linguist job ?

Another thing, why did they make the army entrance fitness test easier for paras nowadays ? It used to be 10 pull ups and a two mile run in under 15 minutes. Ranting over for now.

Cheers, Alonso (*** probably not my real name lol ***)

Latest Threads