Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Read this 1st - OPMI - What it is like (The Basics)

Whats the Int Corps like?

Incredibly boring

Everyone apart from Officers and WOs are totally demoralised because they know their job is pointless yet they hide behind the 'secret' protection of the job

Int is as dull as f"£$ and doesnt even exist in the Corps. Most Int is copy and pasted from other agencies or in many cases taken from Reuters or the BBC

If you do a CS or GS job on tour you just get head f!"£ed in a tent for 14hrs a day staring at a screen and briefing officers to make them feel good about themselves. The stuff you brief is from other people. CS/GS tours are widely described as the 'worst time of my life'.

Security is not much better

HUMINT is totally bullshit and for people who could not get into SF but want to wear north face bomber jackets and Accu boots and call eachother Dinger or Gaz then spray paint a C8 and take photos of eachother.

Int Corps Officers are the most aloof socially inept f"£$tards on the planet. They are also very very dangerous.

The Corps treats its soldiers like shit

One of the few saving graces is COIST but they dont receive any recognition and if you get injured on ops like two lads I know (IED injuries) you get sub human treatment and subsequently I think those 2 have already left or been binned.

Aprt from the above the Corps offers an interesting and varied career where you will be on the cutting edge of intelligence work....

Cheers and I look forward to the fat career ******* with lower back problems directing their wrath in my direction.

Didn't get the SJAR you were expecting this year?

You clearly lack the breadth of experience to comment on this forum if you think the activities of the Corps are limited to copy-and-pasting news articles.

I can't comment on the morale of dimsiders, but I can say that we do not appear to have too many morale problems on this side of the house. All of my soldiers are employed on meaningful intelligence production duties and they love it.

I wouldn't say his point of view is unique but I have to say that in recent years I have not met any JNCOs who feel that strongly anti the Corps. Granted there are times when the job can be shit (name me one that doesn't). I have served since 1974 and have watched the Corps go through good times and bad and can honestly say that today's JNCOs are some of the most motivated and capable individuals I have served with.

Whats the Int Corps like?

Incredibly boring

Everyone apart from Officers and WOs are totally demoralised because they know their job is pointless yet they hide behind the 'secret' protection of the job

Int is as dull as f"£$ and doesnt even exist in the Corps. Most Int is copy and pasted from other agencies or in many cases taken from Reuters or the BBC

If you do a CS or GS job on tour you just get head f!"£ed in a tent for 14hrs a day staring at a screen and briefing officers to make them feel good about themselves. The stuff you brief is from other people. CS/GS tours are widely described as the 'worst time of my life'.

Security is not much better

HUMINT is totally bullshit and for people who could not get into SF but want to wear north face bomber jackets and Accu boots and call eachother Dinger or Gaz then spray paint a C8 and take photos of eachother.

Int Corps Officers are the most aloof socially inept f"£$tards on the planet. They are also very very dangerous.

The Corps treats its soldiers like shit

One of the few saving graces is COIST but they dont receive any recognition and if you get injured on ops like two lads I know (IED injuries) you get sub human treatment and subsequently I think those 2 have already left or been binned.

Aprt from the above the Corps offers an interesting and varied career where you will be on the cutting edge of intelligence work....

Cheers and I look forward to the fat career ******* with lower back problems directing their wrath in my direction.

To anyone who knows me, this is not me! Just so I don't get called into the office and questioned...again.

To anyone who knows me, this is not me! Just so I don't get called into the office and questioned...again.

Have you had a bit of a finger jabbing this morning?

Wrong on both counts. Both have never complained of sub-human treatment. I don't mind obviously disaffected soldiers or officers discussing their first hand accounts / grievances but seriously...why you would write such a thing about the unit that I and they serve in?

Wrong on both counts. Both have never complained of sub-human treatment. I don't mind obviously disaffected soldiers or officers discussing their first hand accounts / grievances but seriously...why you would write such a thing about the unit that I and they serve in?

I agree with Howayman. I'm currently on POTL after H16 & ALL of the COIST in my specific corner of things were outstanding. It is possible that one of them may get official recognition for what he/she has done.

(Edited after initial post was done in the pub!)

Currently applying and all I've heard through my application process is "Get a trade do you can come out with something." Decided to go with OPMI because it sounded like the most interesting job for me now rather than thinking how many years in the future. Just wondering what the future prospects are like for OPMI's after the Army?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Currently applying and all I've heard through my application process is "Get a trade do you can come out with something." Decided to go with OPMI because it sounded like the most interesting job for me now rather than thinking how many years in the future. Just wondering what the future prospects are like for OPMI's after the Army?

Pretty good, actually. Most ex-Op MI in civilian life who continue on the 'G2' path in commerce are earning, comfortably, well in excess of the national average wage, up to several multiples thereof. Bear in mind that resettlement starts the day you join and that time spent gaining qualifications is never wasted - old farts like me don't get asked for exam certificates or qualifications, much, but younger folk definitely do.

Sheepay

War Hero
Pretty good, actually. Most ex-Op MI in civilian life who continue on the 'G2' path in commerce are earning, comfortably, well in excess of the national average wage, up to several multiples thereof. Bear in mind that resettlement starts the day you join and that time spent gaining qualifications is never wasted - old farts like me don't get asked for exam certificates or qualifications, much, but younger folk definitely do.

I'm banking on this being true, as I doubt I have anything else to offer the job market!

kdash123

Old-Salt
Hi All,

I have been a frequent visitor of this site while my application is being processed and while i am waiting on my medical deferral to get sorted out, however, i have a couple of questions that i haven't come across on the sticky's/are now out of date due to the information being several years old.

I am currently looking to join the Int Corps as an OPMI, though i was originally medically deferred from Lichfield for a couple of reasons that seem to be taking the NHS longer and longer to look at.

Every time i ask more detailed questions/inquiries the recruiters get a little more vague each time as they don't have a lot of detailed information available to them.

One of the questions is around the recruitment/suitability process between passing ADSC and Phase 1 training. I am led to believe that i will attend an interview/day trip at/to Chicksands. Could anyone give me a little more information about this stage please? All i have been told is "Make sure you know what is going on in the world". Any additional info would be appreciated to help me prepare.

My other question is about further education/degrees. Part of the OPMI job sheet says there are opportunities to gain additional qualifications, such as a degree in Intelligence, a degree in Security Management, and a couple of NVQs. What are the availability of these course, and how would i go about requesting to take part in them? Or are they only open to people that have been severing in the Corps for X amount of years?

My final question is about actual available positions currently. I got told by my recruiter that there are currently no more open places for the Int Corps. Does the Int Corps generally tend to open new places for new recruits at certain times in the year and then stop for the rest of the year? I have had my application going for nearly a year now due to this deferral but i haven't noticed any changes. I was wondering if there was any specific rules to the way the Int Corps conducts its recruitment.

Thanks for all the information currently posted on this site, it has answered a few questions, and also thanks in advance for any further information given.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
All i have been told is "Make sure you know what is going on in the world". Any additional info would be appreciated to help me prepare.

well, the Iranians might be building the bomb, the Syrians might start using chemical weapons and the USA recently had some kind of election.

hope this helps :wink:

kdash123

Old-Salt
well, the Iranians might be building the bomb, the Syrians might start using chemical weapons and the USA recently had some kind of election.

hope this helps :wink:

Thanks! But dont forget the Israelis, Chinese, Japanese and the pesky revolts in Egypt! ... Oh and nearly forgot the "launch a satellite" attempt by North Korea! :winkrazz:

On another note though, do you have any info on my other questions? Especially around the idea of further education/degrees.

Thanks

CR is quite correct about keeping up with world events as you are likely to be quizzed on these at random. My suggestion is to have a copy of the Sun and Star on order as these will give you the most up to date factual summary of events. They will also want to know historical facts as well like past winners of the X Factor, Britain's Got Talent and I'm a Celebrity - just to trick you.

kdash123

Old-Salt
My suggestion is to have a copy of the Sun and Star on order as these will give you the most up to date factual summary of events.

I sense sarcasm! As for things like the X-Factor, i can proudly say that i have never watched a single episode :) Though i suppose it is one more thing i can add to my list of notes and preparation.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I sense sarcasm! As for things like the X-Factor, i can proudly say that i have never watched a single episode :) Though i suppose it is one more thing i can add to my list of notes and preparation.

Poor show. It's important you have a good grasp of popular culture as well as all the high-faluting stuff about Ansar al Shariya and Allah only knows what else. How are you going to hang around in bars and listen to infantry private soldiers' conversations without being rumbled, otherwise?

Note: the above post contains at least one urban myth.

That's Right Glad

On my PV Interview I was asked the name and profession of Dennis Tanner's father and why Ken Barlow wasn't called up for National Service !

Latest Threads