Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Read this 1st - OPMI - What it is like (The Basics)

Coracao said:
How long does the promotion from Private to L.Corporal generally take?

Provided you successfully complete your trade training you will have your first stripe and the uplift from Pte to A trade LCpl salary after 6 months. Kerching!

In this day and age that is a pay rise to work at!

Bound_Apprentice said:
Coracao said:
How long does the promotion from Private to L.Corporal generally take?

Provided you successfully complete your trade training you will have your first stripe and the uplift from Pte to A trade LCpl salary after 6 months. Kerching!

In this day and age that is a pay rise to work at!

Thanks.

I am applying to join the army, with OPMI as one of my three job choices.

I have, until now, thought that whilst on phase 2 training, I would be allocated married quarters.

Today I read the post which says -

"Phase 2 is long....... If you are married you will not be allocated an MQ."

My question is, what have others who are married done with their families during this period?

Thanks.

unless things have changed drastically over the years, one would imagine you aren't entitled to a quarter until you've actually qualified i.e. after phase 2. i am prepared to be corrected, but would be surprised if you are entitled to an MQ until your first posting.

before that, one imagines most partners continue their existing living arrangements. not much point uprooting for just 8 or 9 months (or whatever phase 1 & 2 take nowadays). if it's feasible, why not leave wife / hubby / family where they are, then take them with you on first posting?

I know for a fact that a Phase 2 Trainee at my location resides in a MQ. I don't know what the Rules and Regs state on this, worth making further official enquires though.

Just remembered, I believe they have a child, this may form part of the qualifying criteria.

The rules as per JSP 464 (though don't quote me on the actual JSP) state that to be eligible for a SFA you have to be of a certain married status, over 18, have gone through initial training (which I take as Phase 1) and have at least 6 months to serve at the station in question.

I think that the sticking point may come down to the 6 months piece and also the availability of SFA. Simpsonp is free to enquire if he gets a SFA at chicksands. I have no idea how he will get on...I shall amend the OP to reflect this.

Simpsonp - if you go for SFA let us know how you get on...

jack_bastard said:
One of my guys transferred as an Inf LCpl to Int and had to take a pay cut because he was told than Int Corps LCpl's are not higher band.

They used to be high band but they changed it in the last couple of years. Otherwise you would have enlisted ranks joining the Army on £23k a year after training! As much, if not more, as a non-grad officer!

This was also confirmed to me by another trooper who was told the same at the AFCO when applying for Int.

I accept that there is a possibility that both a RAWO and an AFCO Sgt are wrong however.

In fact, I would really appreciate a definitive answer on this from a serving LCpl in Int. So I can delete this post and run away with my tail between my legs.

OK are you a civilian, an American or both?

Good afternoon. I met with a careers adviser recently, to discuss my suitability for the OPMI role(s) that are vacant just now. I did a lot of pre-meeting preparation work, and managed to get a really good insight into the requirements for the role.

This site has also been really helpful for most of the questions I have, but there is one I need a bit of clarification on; colour blindness! I used the interactive recruitment service on the Army website and the Operator advised that my eyesight needs to be CP4. What does that mean, in relation to colour blindness standards within the Army? How can I test myself and not waste anyone's time?

Thanks in advance.

I think you may have been mislead.

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/INT_Operator_MI.pdf

CP2.

As a quick test you could get hold of Ishihara color tests which the military use for determine colour perception. 1 being best, 4 being pretty bad.

Means you can see the red Danger Areas on the map

Thanks for that. I've taken various tests using YouTube, and I am indeed colour blind however, taking into consideration military standards, how colour blind, I'm not sure.

I read somewhere that CP2 is perfect vision, so is it fair to say I'm wasting my time? If so, I'll look at other options.

P.S. I'd like to think I'd be able to distinguish red Danger Areas on a map.......but Ishihara might have a different opinion!

Thanks again.