re-using old nails

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by sirbhp, Aug 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

The most ludicrus thing i remember from being in the mob was having to straighten out nails and keep reusing them.
    I seem to recall that we had to sign them out of the troop g10 and sign them back in after exercise. Does this sort of nonsence still go on.
    Dont even get me started on the fact that we were only allowed One grade of sandpaper as well!!

:)

2. That's f*ck all. We used to have to wash the bogroll and hang it out to dry......after we'd used it!.

Beat that.

3. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

yew had bogroll !
    blimey why did you think that i was complaining about the one grade of sandpaper then ?

4. More like that tracing paper that spread it around more than wiping it off, you used to start wiping your arrse and end up smearing it up your back onto your neck!

5. OK, so I was lying about the bog roll.........we had to lick our fingers clean.

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

wot yew had fingers anda tounge to lick them clean? !! in my day we ...........agghhhhh

7. digging up cardboard bar mines and re palletising them after an excercise .... and getting a boll0cking because some still had the FWAM toggles on them..... the bonest excuse to f*ck the lads around i can think of.

8. 1st Fd Sqn RE - 1982 Soltau ..... OC (Man with Brill idea) was one Maj P**e? ...... ever tried finding the 'Cardboard' Bar Mine with a Mk 1 Prodder... :? in the rain... oh at night and a tac breach to boot 8O it may or may not come as a outstanding surprise not many were found :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. How about spending days bursting open the Divs allocation of (cardboard) Barmine, pouring out the sand and burning the cardboard at endex because someone said they couldn't be returned :oops: (they could)

10. One guy at my unit, when on Telic was sent to get nails for a task, store person wouldn't let him have any incase somebody needed them...

11. Nails are easy. Try pounding a camouflet 3m into the ground then being told by the storeman that he wanted the points back.

12. Nails ! What built the old Wild West.
    Not an Anorak on this subject but historians will tell you that without the ordinary nail the rapid exspansion of the US would never have happened.
    Log cabins where built only in remote places where the Nail was unavailable.
    For the towns citys and farms wooden planks secured by nails where the way to go.
    Fire was a major problem in these towns and post fire you went through the rubble collected the old nails so you coul build your New Home.
    john