Re-upholster or just fit buckets?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheFriendlyBomb, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding what is my pride and joy a 1985 Porsche 911 Turbo that I picked up for next to nothing. Now after many hour's of blood, sweat, tears and swearing (when the engine died and finding out how much it would cost to replace/repair) the time has (almost it's headed to the body shop for a respray) come to start thinking about the interior. Now my idea was it was going to be a track day car on the cheap. One problem with that. After the enormous amount of work involved in the bloody thing I would kind of like to use it for something other than track days! So should I just go the lazy man method and fit the buckets (which would reduce the overall weight and therefore make it quicker) or shall I take it to someone who can re-upholster it all and fit me a decent set of ICE?

2. Probably worth more as a standard 911

3. You could always go the cheaper option and get buckets with the option of doing up the original seats or lookig for a second hand matching pair.
    Another option of course would be to see if the seats in your hair dressers salon fit and only use it on days you are closed.

4. Yeah that's what I thought. But I'm not going to sell it I put way too much work into it!

It's not a bloody hairdressers car! You're thinking of the Cabrio! Nope this is a full blooded honest to God modern classic. Besides if anything it's a yuppie twat mobile.

5. Yes it is :)

6. no as in worth more to you as a completely 100% standard machine, the car would be an investment also

7. I'd agree with that, fitting Chav seats will just look well chavvish.
    I'd want it as near to original as possible but it'll probably take time sourcing the bits.

8. Unless you put in a cage, and get your bucket seats mounted properly, it'll look gash and be potentially dangerous. If you try to mount a six point (you'll need one for track work) on the car's factory seatbelt mounts you stand a good chance of mangling yourself in a shunt. Poor application of the load relative to the shape and position of the bucket seat may mean that the bolts holding the harness are placed "in shear" (incorrect application of the load), the heads pops off, and the belt takes YOUR head off, or you submarine under the buckle and it cuts your throat. It happens. If you must have the buckets, get someone who knows what they're doing to mount them and your harnesses.

Nice car BTW. I have a 911 Carrera 4S myself, the older Turbos scare me a bit.

9. i'd agree with other posters, restore to original condition. You should be able to buy the new covers and foam req'd and upholster them yourself, its a fairly easy process and will save you a boat load of cash aswell. I think you will find that restoring to almost near perfect condition will see the price of the car go up aswell.

10. Taking it to some very nice fellows that are going to fit a rollcage and the buckets. Track days here I come!

11. Chav.

12. It was always intended for track days so I don't feel to bad about it and yes the buckets and rollcage may look a little chav but it's for a good reason!

13. Innit.

• Like Like x 2