RE: Two German soldiers killed in AFG - Oct 20 2008

German Army operating in Afghanistan ?

• I knew that - come back when you have real news.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well well - news to me.

• Germany ?......wait, two seconds....uh...

• You re from Milwaukee right ?

• Total voters

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Condolences thread HERE

Article from The Times
SOURCE

October 20, 2008

Two German soldiers die in Afghan day of bloodshed

(Michael Kappeler/AFP/Getty)
Germany has 3,300 troops in northern Afghanistan

Jenny Booth
Two German soldiers and five Afghan children have died in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan, capping a day of bloodshed which also saw a British woman aid worker gunned down on the streets of Kabul.

A third soldier and a civilian were injured in the suicide attack, a spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) confirmed.

The Germans were on foot patrol in Kunduz province when the bomber rode up to them on a bicycle and triggered his explosives, according to Mohammad Omar, the provincial governor of Kunduz.

“The blast took place on a main road. This is the work of terrorists. We have arrested two suspects in relation to the incident,” said Mr Omar.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taleban, claimed reponsibility for the attack on behalf of the militants, and said that a dozen foreign soldiers were killed.

Violence in Kunduz, to the north of Afghanistan, has been on the increase recently as the Taleban have spread their influence from their bases along the Pakistan border to the south.

It was the second suicide attack in Afghanistan today after another bomber, aged about 15, walked up to an armoured Afghan army vehicle in the southern town of Lashkar Gah and detonated the bombs strapped to his body, badly damaging the vehicle but killing only himself.

Militants have also killed Afghan five policemen, including a district police chief, in a separate incident in Faryab province today, according to Deputy Governor Abdul Satar.

The deaths, and the murder of Gayle Williams in Kabul, follow a defeat for Taleban forces overnight near Lashkar Gar, the Helmand provincial capital.

Isaf and Afghan troops were reported to have killed more than 30 insurgents and recovered weapons, ammunition, motobikes and other vehicles used by the Taleban, in a raid.

Last week, Taleban fighters launched several barrages of rocket and mortar fire into Lashkar Gah.

Militants have been expanding their influence outward from their traditional bases in the country’s south and east, along the border with Pakistan, and have gained territory in the provinces surrounding Kabul, a worrying development for Afghan and NATO troops.

Those advances are part of the reason that US and British generals have warned that the international mission to defeat the Taleban is in peril, and why NATO generals have called for a sharp increase in the number of troops.

Some 65,000 international troops now operate in Afghanistan, including about 32,000 Americans. Keeping Berlin’s 3,300-strong contingent in Afghanistan is already unpopular in Germany and today's deaths will likely only increase calls for them to be withdrawn and put further strain on the Nato alliance. Thirty German soldiers have now died in Afghanistan.
For German speakers , Berliner Morgenpost HERE

Taliban töten zwei deutsche Soldaten in Afghanistan
Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2008 03:25

Wenige Tage nach der Mandatsverlängerung für die Bundeswehr sind bei einem Selbstmordanschlag der Taliban nahe der nordafghanischen Stadt Kundus zwei deutsche Soldaten getötet worden. Fünf Kinder, die in der Nähe spielten, kamen bei der Detonation ebenfalls ums Leben.
-

Den Familien der Toten sprach er sein Beileid aus.
Die Soldaten des Fallschirmjägerbataillons 263 in Zweibrücken seien Hinweisen auf versteckte Waffenlager nachgegangen, sagte Jung. Insgesamt seien 160 deutsche Soldaten, 30 afghanische Soldaten und 20 afghanische Polizisten beteiligt gewesen. Ein Fahrradfahrer habe sich in der Nähe eines leicht gepanzerten Fahrzeugs des Typs "Mungo" in die Luft gesprengt. Die beiden 22 und 25 Jahre alten Soldaten im Führerhaus seien dabei umgekommen, ihre beiden Kameraden auf der Ladefläche hätten Verletzungen erlitten. Das Fahrzeug sei in Brand geraten und darauf verstaute Munition explodiert. Seit 2002 kamen bereits 30 deutsche Soldaten in Afghanistan ums Leben

I may be doing him a disservice but I'm guessing Joe Six-Pack in Peoria,Il may be surprised to learn that , alongside Brits and French, the German Army have > 3,000 people deployed in Afghanistan right now ....

Lee Shaver
--

Unfortunately, they don't go outside camp in night conditions and use the spare time to get lashed up.

I've seen it for myself.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I don't give a rat's ass whether you do condolence threads or not.......feel free to use THIS thread to talk about Germans in AFG - and have the courtesy to respect those who do feel the need to say RIP in the other one.

I've worked (briefly) with Fritz....can't comment first hand on what he get's up to in Kunduz.

The accounts I've seen so far say it was a VBIED - beyond enforcing a 50 metre zone around any ISAF vehicle I don't know whether Brits would have come out any better.

Lee Shaver

Goatman said:
I don't give a rat's ass whether you do condolence threads or not.......feel free to use THIS thread to talk about Germans in AFG - and have the courtesy to respect those who do feel the need to say RIP in the other one.

I've worked (briefly) with Fritz....can't comment first hand on what he get's up to in Kunduz.

The accounts I've seen so far say it was a VBIED - beyond enforcing a 50 metre zone around any ISAF vehicle I don't know whether Brits would have come out any better.

Lee Shaver
I have respect and courtesy for them, not for you. Your asshole-ish anti-American comments and your sly attempt to blame Americans for their deaths being the cause.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
ronnie12398 said:
Your asshole-ish anti-American comments and your sly attempt to blame Americans for their deaths being the cause.
Say what? Ronnie I have not clue one what you're on about. Take more water with it.

Goatman said:
ronnie12398 said:
Your asshole-ish anti-American comments and your sly attempt to blame Americans for their deaths being the cause.
Say what? Ronnie I have not clue one what you're on about. Take more water with it.
So what was the point of the poll and the assumption the the average American doesn't (or wouldn't) know that there are German and French soldiers in Afghanistan? Sounded like a cheap shot to me, which is typical of Brit's in general.

Yikes....those pesky ragheads should think again....the last time the Jormons headed east, thousands died, but I imagine that the current hun govt doesn't give a daisy's

Calm down Ronnie !

I have also read the poll and I cannot see anything anti USA. There are two types of British humour that do not travel too well across the Atlantic known as Irony and satire.

IT'S NOT PERSONAL

You seem to have read between the lines and created something from your own opinion.

Please try to remember that this is a "Rumour" site for the British Army.

Plus you are guilty of tarring all Brits with the same brush and of being racist too. If this upsets you, then by all means, make a complaint but no one is forcing you to be on this site. There is also plenty of anti British drivel from the USA. You can't have your cake and eat it and if its too hot, get out of the kitchen.

Now please share with us your experience of working with the "Krauts" in Afghanistan and your hints & tips of dealing with IED'S.

Thankyou

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
SOURCE

Federal Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier deeply saddened by the attack

Germany helps in Afghanistan

After the suicide attack on soldiers of the Federal Armed Forces in Afghanistan, that left several dead, Federal Defence Minister Franz-Josef Jung warned that the country must not be allowed to slide back into lawlessness.

Afghanistan must not be allowed to become a training camp for international terrorists ever again, declared the Defence Minister on the evening news programme "ARD Tagesthemen” on German television.

"It must be our goal to enable the Afghan government to ensure security independently – by training the Afghan armed forces and the police force.”

There cannot ever be a hundred percent protection against perfidious suicide attacks like this one, he stated.

The Defence Minister once again made it clear that in Afghanistan international troops are facing an "asymmetric threat” but not a war. This is why the western world will not be able to win by military means alone, he said, speaking on the "ZDF heute journal” television news programme.

Franz-Josef Jung and Federal Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier offered their condolences to the families, colleagues and friends of the victims.

On Monday two German ISAF soldiers were killed in a suicide attack near Kunduz in northern Afghanistan. Five Afghan children also lost their lives. Two German soldiers and another local child were injured in the attack.

I think it's baby steps for FRG, in many ways World War 2 for Germany only really came to an end after re-unification.
Whilst both the Bundeswehr and the NVA undeniably had major offensive capabilities,there was still a (official) mindset that both armies would be used for defensive purposes (i.e to resist a Soviet/NATO attack). I think this 'defensive' mindset remains strong amongst certain German politicians/members of the German public.